Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,258 times

Advertisements

15 years ago the Lower East Side was much more affordable........

What are the chances Harlem will see similar growth? Is it worth investing in Harlem? Townhouses are being bought for $1.5 million, will they be worth $5-10mil in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Yep. gonna be through the roof. Harlem has a lot of rich housing stock and is still gentrifying. It hasn't hit its peak yet.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
I bought my place a couple of years ago and the place under mine just sold for TWICE what I paid for mine. I'm in Hamilton Heights in West Harlem. The brownstones here are being snatched up for $1 million+, gutted and lived in or sold for three times that. New restaurants and bars are opening daily. Alex Trebek, the host of Jeopardy and his son are opening a restaurant here in a few weeks and just bought a brownstone down the street. Get in while you can.

Que HarlemResident to tell us how bad it is up here. Lolz

Old 03-19-2016, 05:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I bought my place a couple of years ago and the place under mine just sold for TWICE what I paid for mine. I'm in Hamilton Heights in West Harlem. The brownstones here are being snatched up for $1 million+, gutted and lived in or sold for three times that. New restaurants and bars are opening daily. Alex Trebek, the host of Jeopardy and his son are opening a restaurant here in a few weeks and just bought a brownstone down the street. Get in while you can.

Que HarlemResident to tell us how bad it is up here. Lolz
Are you actually as dense as your childishly hyperbolic comment makes you appear. One wonders.

In fact, I believe the record sale was $3.1 - and this property was not bought for a third of that. Similar sales are taking place on or directly adjacent to Convent Avenue, therefore understandable.

Trebek bought his son a brownstone on Strivers' Row, which is a very different area. I recall that the sale price was around $1.5 ? $1.75 ... ? He hasn't sold yet but hey, perhaps he will get triple.

Moreover, we stand to gain far more than most by rising real estate values - quite literally.

I have pointed out numerous times that West Harlem in particular has not been "affordable" for a very long time. Odd, because like many who live here, I notice the fundamental dearth of decent amenities just about every day. There is basically one restaurant up to a New York standard. Is this what you meant by "bad" ?

Oh, there is also the litter and garbage that covers every possible surface ... perhaps you meant references to that. In any case, both criticisms stand.

As well as another - most of the people moving to Harlem are transplants. Most people are not thrilled about this.

Advice for anyone considering buying - it's already over in the decent areas. Real estate interests have supported an incredibly inflated market. And from what I have heard the "affordable" places are cash only or not good.

But people can do the research themselves.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Are you actually as dense as your childishly hyperbolic comment makes you appear. One wonders.

In fact, I believe the record sale was $3.1 - and this property was not bought for a third of that. Similar sales are taking place on or directly adjacent to Convent Avenue, therefore understandable.

Trebek bought his son a brownstone on Strivers' Row, which is a very different area. I recall that the sale price was around $1.5 ? $1.75 ... ? He hasn't sold yet but hey, perhaps he will get triple.

Moreover, we stand to gain far more than most by rising real estate values - quite literally.

I have pointed out numerous times that West Harlem in particular has not been "affordable" for a very long time. Odd, because like many who live here, I notice the fundamental dearth of decent amenities just about every day. There is basically one restaurant up to a New York standard. Is this what you meant by "bad" ?

Oh, there is also the litter and garbage that covers every possible surface ... perhaps you meant references to that. In any case, both criticisms stand.

As well as another - most of the people moving to Harlem are transplants. Most people are not thrilled about this.

Advice for anyone considering buying - it's already over in the decent areas. Real estate interests have supported an incredibly inflated market. And from what I have heard the "affordable" places are cash only or not good.

But people can do the research themselves.
I knew I could count on you!

Strivers Row is still a part of Harlem and is a short walk from Hamilton Heights, which is where his son and he are opening their restaurant. I just walked by and it is looking nice.

Where is this "dearth of decent amenities"? I have a grocery store a 5 min walk away. Subways at my doorstep and a ton of "New York standard" restaurants. Hell, I just went to an Omakase sushi and dtopped $150 on the best meal I've ever had in the city! And it was a 10 min walk. Sushi Inoue

What garbage? I see papers blowing around and cups here and there, but it is a hell of a lot cleaner up here than midtown.

The whole city is now transplants. I lived in Greenwich Village for years and when I left it was literally 98% transplants.

Keep trying to scare the transplants, I don't mind.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I knew I could count on you!

Strivers Row is still a part of Harlem and is a short walk from Hamilton Heights, which is where his son and he are opening their restaurant. I just walked by and it is looking nice.

Where is this "dearth of decent amenities"? I have a grocery store a 5 min walk away. Subways at my doorstep and a ton of "New York standard" restaurants. Hell, I just went to an Omakase sushi and dtopped $150 on the best meal I've ever had in the city! And it was a 10 min walk. Sushi Inoue

What garbage? I see papers blowing around and cups here and there, but it is a hell of a lot cleaner up here than midtown.

The whole city is now transplants. I lived in Greenwich Village for years and when I left it was literally 98% transplants.

Keep trying to scare the transplants, I don't mind.
The transplants are the entirety of the population moving to Harlem. Luckily, they cannot really afford my area. But nobody is scaring them anywhere. They arrive in droves. Most are bores who moved to Harlem 'cause they love diversity you know but they deeply (and quite obviously) fear actual black people. They seem intrigued and relieved that we both speak the king's English. They become a nuisance at community meetings with their narcissistic PC-babble.

It is well known that there are few restaurants in Harlem up to a New York standard and NO, Red Rooster is not one of the "greats." It is also vastly over-priced. They charge to consume the hype. There is a fairly large luxury condo building rising on lower Convent and they will be packing the one good restaurant - fortunately for them, nearby - and standing in line at one of your "groceries." These are actually called bodegas, by the way. Tons and tons of really good and interesting retail space and all that open are dollar stores. Another every week. And that's fine. But how about a little diversity that might cater to everyone else. Why always an "outlet" ? Old Navy ? Ugh. The street vendors should definitely stay but open some decent stores, someone. You will make a fortune from the underserved population here.

Finally, Strivers' is a totally different area than Convent and environs. Period. Even our elderly relatives, who have always owned and lived here, maintain that - against whatever more recent changes.

You are just fibbing about the garbage. This is also a wide complaint. How to stop people from littering and dumping garbage.

If nobody talks about the reality, things never change. Around here, real estate speculation needs to be checked and business development encouraged.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 03-19-2016 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
The transplants are the entirety of the population moving to Harlem. Luckily, they cannot really afford my area.
But nobody is scaring them anywhere. They arrive in droves.

It is well-known that there are few restaurants in Harlem up to a New York standard and NO, Red Rooster is not one of the "greats." It is also vastly over-priced. They charge to consume the hype. There is a fairly large luxury condo building rising on lower Convent and they will be packing the one good restaurant - fortunately for them, nearby - and standing in line at one of your "groceries." These are actually called bodegas, by the way. Tons and tons of really good and interesting retail space and all that open are dollar stores. Another every week. And that's fine. But how about a little diversity that might cater to everyone else. Why always an "outlet" ? Old Navy ? Ugh.

Finally, Strivers' is a totally different area than Convent and environs. Period. Even our elderly relatives, who have always lived here, maintain that - against whatever more recent changes.

You are just fibbing about the garbage. This is also a wide complaint.

If nobody talks about the reality, things never change. Around here, real estate speculation needs to be checked and business development encouraged.
I am not a fan of Red Rooster. It is a tourist trap for those "edgy" enough to come uptown. If you like sushi (or know people who do), I highly recommend Sushi Inoue. It was amazing.

And the grocery store I go to is the Foodtown on 145th. It is a massive grocery store, not a bodega. That or I get delivery from Fresh Direct.

We will have to agree to disagree regarding the garbage situation. I find downtown, especially midtown to be much worse than West Harlem.

Regarding talking about reality to get things changed, I did write a letter to the mayor regarding the curbs on Saint Nicholas between 141 and 150th and they actually put it in for repairs on the next cycle. The borough president even called me. I'm doing my part!

Old 03-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I am not a fan of Red Rooster. It is a tourist trap for those "edgy" enough to come uptown. If you like sushi (or know people who do), I highly recommend Sushi Inoue. It was amazing.

And the grocery store I go to is the Foodtown on 145th. It is a massive grocery store, not a bodega. That or I get delivery from Fresh Direct.

We will have to agree to disagree regarding the garbage situation. I find downtown, especially midtown to be much worse than West Harlem.

Regarding talking about reality to get things changed, I did write a letter to the mayor regarding the curbs on Saint Nicholas between 141 and 150th and they actually put it in for repairs on the next cycle. The borough president even called me. I'm doing my part!

I appreciate it, so am I.

You can also order trees from the city, 311 site. They are free but they won't replace dead ones if people on the block vandalize them or otherwise do not take care.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I appreciate it, so am I.

You can also order trees from the city, 311 site. They are free but they won't replace dead ones if people on the block vandalize them or otherwise do not take care.
I've used the 311 app to request a few of these. They did plant a couple I requested on 145th. We do need more trees on the larger streets.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Harlem prices have been climbing for years now.
They won't ever reach the prices of the UWS or similar neighborhoods because they are a derivative of them. They track and are discounted based on more "desirable" neighborhoods. The prices of a partocular area don't move in a vacuum.

Only 672 whites lived in central Harlem in 1990, according to census figures. By 2000, that number had leapt to 2,200. By 2008, this had doubled and tripled and quadrupled to 13,800 - See more at: The Harlem gentrification: From black to white - New African Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City