Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So that was what all the helicopter noise was early this morning!

Here's me trying to catch a few more winks when the sound of helicopters comes blaring through the windows. At first thought it would pass but went on for some time.
Ghetto Bird is Watching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Street gangs in NYC have basically been eliminated on the streets because of strong policing. So the only gangs that can operate now are out of view in housing projects. But sounds like the cops are really focusing on those projects, good news. The gangs will be kicked out, working poor apartments will open up for people on the NYCHA waiting list, and everyone will have more peace to live their lives
Your opinion is not necessarily true Blake. They are sometimes in plain view. That's why they have the Feds or PD on the rooftops surveileling

Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Your opinion is not necessarily true Blake. They are sometimes in plain view. That's why they have the Feds or PD on the rooftops surveileling
All I'm saying is that any gang that tries to branch out in public gets smacked down pretty fast these days

Old 04-19-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So that was what all the helicopter noise was early this morning!

Here's me trying to catch a few more winks when the sound of helicopters comes blaring through the windows. At first thought it would pass but went on for some time.
Yep. I told folk on here that think they know EH about law enforcement surveileling East River a long time ago. It was in a thread where a poster was asking if he should buy a apartment in that area. Some people were insisting that the area is "perfectly safe".

Old 04-19-2016, 04:26 PM

186 posts, read 220,358 times
I for one have no issues with this. I am quick to condemn the police when they kill someone recklessly but I still give them their due credit when they remove people who are terrorizing a neighborhood.
I don't do Harlem in any way shape or form because it's a well know fact certain areas are no go areas especially if you don't live there and seen as an outsider.
Hopefully they continue cleaning up, but as someone stated, you get rid of the top gangs and the smaller ones just take their place.
These kids/adults have little opportunity for securing decent jobs that can get them out the projects, so they resort to crime to get money.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
All I'm saying is that any gang that tries to branch out in public gets smacked down pretty fast these days
Agreed. They don't seem to grasp that EH is no longer theirs to take.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
I for one have no issues with this. I am quick to condemn the police when they kill someone recklessly but I still give them their due credit when they remove people who are terrorizing a neighborhood.
I don't do Harlem in any way shape or form because it's a well know fact certain areas are no go areas especially if you don't live there and seen as an outsider.
Hopefully they continue cleaning up, but as someone stated, you get rid of the top gangs and the smaller ones just take their place.
These kids/adults have little opportunity for securing decent jobs that can get them out the projects, so they resort to crime to get money.
Agree with your post.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:58 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:

I disagree about no job opportunities. Everyone does not need to be employed by someone else. Go and learn a trade and work for yourself. It is sooooo hard to find good employees in the construction field. It is saturated with handymen. When we wanted to brick a portion of our house it tooks us three months to find a good contractor with skilled employees. I insisted on seeing their actual work. When we finally settled on someone we had to wait a month for the job to start because he was so busy and he starts and completes one job at a time.
He collected $20k for one month work.
Same thing for our carpenter. I am extremely particular on how my work should be completed. I bought my carpeneter lunch everyday because his attention to detail surpassed my expectation and I know how hard it is to find good employees. He earned $10k in one month. His phone rang nonestop with job offers when he was working at our house.

There is a shortage of good skilled workers and there is alot of money to be made in the field.

P.s. the contractor who bricked our house could barely count!! He brought his nephew everytime he collected money and the nephew counted everytime! The one time he came alone he didn't count the money when my husband handed it to him.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Hats off to the law enforcement team. Good job!! People deserve to live in safe drug free neighborhoods. I wish addicts could kick the habit and see that using drugs does more harm than good. But as long as there are customers there will be supliers.
If there is so much money to be made in drug dealing there is enough for everyone. Why all the killing and intimidation and degradation of entire neighborhoods?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,573 times
Quote:
We should send them to Somalia so they can start their pirate adventures. Or "take them to Detroit".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: