Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times

Advertisements

With all that said it is definitely going to take time to change the attitudes of underclass Blacks and Hispanics towards education. There is no way anyone can disagree with this. My issues is that some people on this forum take the ghetto people and use them to claim all Blacks and Hispanics are like that. It simply isn't true,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,010,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With all that said it is definitely going to take time to change the attitudes of underclass Blacks and Hispanics towards education. There is no way anyone can disagree with this. My issues is that some people on this forum take the ghetto people and use them to claim all Blacks and Hispanics are like that. It simply isn't true,
Agreed

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,068,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Black and Hispanic disdain for education is not something that can be changed over night. Gentrification moves at a faster pace than people's ability to change.
Why do you say Black and Hispanic when nearly half the country is not educated? My ex husband - who was from the Midwest (but a graduate of the University of Michigan) lived in a neighborhood with other whites like him but who were uneducated. These people faced the same problems that Blacks and Hispanics do - inability to pay for a good education, topped with other social problems. Blacks and hispanics are not the only ones with social problems, you know.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Why do you say Black and Hispanic when nearly half the country is not educated? My ex husband - who was from the Midwest (but a graduate of the University of Michigan) lived in a neighborhood with other whites like him but who were uneducated. These people faced the same problems that Blacks and Hispanics do - inability to pay for a good education, topped with other social problems. Blacks and hispanics are not the only ones with social problems, you know.
The MidWest and other regions like that are dealing with a collapse of the industrial sector.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/22/op...sing.html?_r=0

That article is about how death rates are rising for poor white people. Suicide, addiction/alcoholism, etc.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Quote:
Those uneducated blue collar whites are the ones who want to elect Donald Trump. Hopefully mid West can come back alive again so that mid western college grads don't have to move out here on the east coast making rents go up and professional jobs scarce and difficult to obtain for many locals here.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Those uneducated blue collar whites are the ones who want to elect Donald Trump. Hopefully mid West can come back alive again so that mid western college grads don't have to move out here on the east coast making rents go up and professional jobs scarce and difficult to obtain for many locals here.
Rents are also high in neighborhoods with virtually no transplants, so I think landlords are just taking advantage of the fact that there are people in general wiling to pay their inflated rents.

There are barely any white people or transplants way out in Southeast Queens, yet you still can't get a 1BR for less than 1400 or so dollars per month.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM

You don't just have transplants from the MidWest bidding up prices. You have lots of wealthy Asian, European, and Latin American buyers too. A lot of expensive condos are being built for truly rich people from around the nation and around the world that have multiple homes. This is an entirely different matter from transplants.

That is not going to go away. No matter what NYC was never known for the nation's cheapest real estate, and don't kids yourselves, it is not going to get cheap for the average person anytime soon, unless you can get into NYCHA or some kind of subsidized housing.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:04 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,886,778 times
Quote:
I was replying to someone who made a comment on the competitiveness of minorities for higher education and higher paying jobs. I was mainly pointing out gentrification changes at a faster pace than people do. People's brain peak in their 20's making it challenging to reprogram them to roles that require specialized skill sets involving higher education.

Money has limitations when it comes to education. It has never been easier and more efficient to learn with the invention of the internet. I come from an immigrant household, the only reason I succeeded in school was because my mother would beat me if I ever came home with bad grades. While it might be difficult getting into an elite university from poverty as it requires mastery and commitment over an extend period of time. People from modest background can get into a good university if they apply themselves. Between financial aid and scholarships, I got paid to go to university.

Last edited by NYer23; 05-17-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I was replying to someone who made a comment on the competitiveness of minorities for higher education and higher paying jobs. I was mainly pointing out gentrification changes at a faster pace than people do. People's brain peak in their 20's making it challenging to reprogram them to roles that require specialized skill sets involving higher education.

Money has limitations when it comes to education. It has never been easier and more efficient to learn with the invention of the internet. I come from an immigrant household, the only reason I succeeded in school was because my mother would beat me if I ever came home with bad grades. While it might be difficult getting into an elite university from poverty as it requires mastery and commitment over an extend period of time. People from modest background can get into a good university if they apply themselves. Between financial aid and scholarships, I got paid to go to university.
Different people have different responses to change. Do I think someone in their 50s or 60s close to retirement who has never worked a professional job is going to be able to change along with changes in the job market? No.

But younger people in their 20s, 30s, and even older people in their 40s and 50s who have worked professional jobs and who do have good educations can change. I can even see business owners in their 60s or managers of area institutions changing with the times. Not all small businesses collapse when faced with gentrification-though many clearly do.

The problem with these sorts of things is that depend greatly on the individuals involved, and that makes it too complicated for people who want to be lazy and claim that all people of this ethnicity, gender, orientation, or age will react this way or that way.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 PM

546 posts, read 766,433 times
it is not fair. rents are getting HIGHER and needs to be controlled.
2006 rented a 2 bedroom in good neighbor in BK for $1100, in 2016 we pay $1300 only $200 raise.
but now all rents in same neighborhood are $1600-2400+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City