Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I was replying to someone who made a comment on the competitiveness of minorities for higher education and higher paying jobs. I was mainly pointing out gentrification changes at a faster pace than people do. People's brain peak in their 20's making it challenging to reprogram them to roles that require specialized skill sets involving higher education.

Money has limitations when it comes to education. It has never been easier and more efficient to learn with the invention of the internet. I come from an immigrant household, the only reason I succeeded in school was because my mother would beat me if I ever came home with bad grades. While it might be difficult getting into an elite university from poverty as it requires mastery and commitment over an extend period of time. People from modest background can get into a good university if they apply themselves. Between financial aid and scholarships, I got paid to go to university.
A very false statement unless that person is mentally lazy. The bottom paragraph I agree with and also share similar experience as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Different people have different responses to change. Do I think someone in their 50s or 60s close to retirement who has never worked a professional job is going to be able to change along with changes in the job market? No.

But younger people in their 20s, 30s, and even older people in their 40s and 50s who have worked professional jobs and who do have good educations can change. I can even see business owners in their 60s or managers of area institutions changing with the times. Not all small businesses collapse when faced with gentrification-though many clearly do.

The problem with these sorts of things is that depend greatly on the individuals involved, and that makes it too complicated for people who want to be lazy and claim that all people of this ethnicity, gender, orientation, or age will react this way or that way.
This is very true, sadly I cant rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 12:16 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
Just curious. What good neighborhood in Brooklyn leases a 2 Bedroom for $1300? If it's outside of ENY, Brownsville, East Flatbush/Flatbush, Sunset Park, Bushwick, Borough Park and Crown Heights - consider yourself LUCKY.
1300 for a 2BR in Sunset Park would actually be a great deal

Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
My thing is this. Locals can benefit from gentrification if they either own property in a gentrified or gentrifying neighborhood. If they own a successful business, and last being highly educated, having college degree not from any college, but from a top college or an ivy, or hold an Masters Degree. Since some locals can not afford to up keep their homes, some may sell, some business that locals own might now cater to the transient population. I know tons of transplants who do not own a plunger in their apartment. What happened to hardware stores in gentry neighborhoods? However I did come across a Jamaican restaurant on Myrtle Avenue that had to spice up its menu with vegan and organic stuff in order to maintain, keep or draw in business from transient types. But then again that was two years ago and I'm not sure if the place still exists today. As for education. Transplants are better educated than locals and better equipped or skilled for jobs compared to locals. The only way a local can keep up to a Transplant is either try to get into a top school, or go to a commuter school and obtain a masters after completing 4 years. However this will incur plenty of debt over time and might not be a huge payoff compared to transplants who receive financial support from parents. How many college ready teens from Bronx or Brooklyn are going to get accepted at Vanderbilt, Carnegie Melon, UVA, Tuffs, Stanford, MIT, Baylor, John Hopkins, Northeastern, Emory, Georgetown, yet alone the IVY Leagues?

So far over the years. NYC had the New Deal, which built plenty of infrastructure that we take for granted today, housing projects and so forth, this did not work out because it was exclusively white. After World War 2 the suburbs began to expand. Urban Renewal led to white flight which decimated cities, and tax dollars fled with it. Federal policies along with banking institutions to a certain degree marginalized or alienated minorities form loans and investments. This change thanks to fair housing act passed by LBJ. However the damage in cities has been done. Urban Renewal did not work, which lead to gentrification which works to some extent. Even though gentrification creates livable walkable streets, increase of jobs, diversity and so forth. Gentrification creates plenty of income inequality, increased homelessness, rising rents, taxes, insurance, competition for jobs, and mass migration to other parts of the country by certain demographics. Here in NYC plenty of ethnic whites and blacks are leaving and going to the Sunbelt, while educated whites are moving in full steam. Even with gentrification Brooklyn remains a very poor place in America. Like I said, while I was in DC I bumped into a think tank. Feds are already gearing up for small micro suburban cities. A good example of this is Alexandria Virginia outside of DC, or New Rochelle next to the Bronx.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-18-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How many college ready teens from Bronx or Brooklyn are going to get accepted at Vanderbilt, Carnegie Melon, UVA, Tuffs, Stanford, MIT, Baylor, John Hopkins, Northeastern, Emory, Georgetown, yet alone the IVY Leagues?
Good quality education in NYC is privatized even the best public schools like G&T don't get kids admitted to elite university at a decent rate.

Class of 2014 - College - Bronx High School of Science Alumni Association

Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
Quote:
Just curious. What good neighborhood in Brooklyn leases a 2 Bedroom for $1300? If it's outside of ENY, Brownsville, East Flatbush/Flatbush, Sunset Park, Bushwick, Borough Park and Crown Heights - consider yourself LUCKY.
The answer is none, pretty sure Sunset 2BR is like 1800+ now, Crown Heights would be over 2K (at least in the western most parts)

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM

436 posts, read 565,268 times
The only way these trends continue is if the one city of New York continues to be multiple cities separated by economic barriers. If people are complacent working long hours and living far from their jobs, then they won't be doing much. I do think some of it is political machinery though.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 AM

546 posts, read 764,505 times
Quote:
Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst. I said I am in this 2br apt 10 years since 2006. My rent started 1100 now its 1300. If I moved out the landlord would price same aptartment for like 1600+.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst. I said I am in this 2br apt 10 years since 2006. My rent started 1100 now its 1300. If I moved out the landlord would price same aptartment for like 1600+.
That's nothing in terms of an increase. Consider yourself lucky. You are blessed with a great landlord who hasn't taken full advantage of the market. Landlords depending on where you are increase rents on average between $50-150 a year. Also to the person who was talking about Sunset Park and Crown Heights apartments going for $1800 and above, throw in East New York to that list (specifically Cypress Hills area). The prices for rentals have become completely ridiculous the past couple of years. I saw a broken down converted 3 bedroom that was a 2 bedroom going for $2200/month. I can't remember if this was by Norwood or Cleveland on the J. Average 2 bedrooms are now going for 17-1800 a month over there.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:01 AM

223 posts, read 255,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That's nothing in terms of an increase. Consider yourself lucky. You are blessed with a great landlord who hasn't taken full advantage of the market. Landlords depending on where you are increase rents on average between $50-150 a year. Also to the person who was talking about Sunset Park and Crown Heights apartments going for $1800 and above, throw in East New York to that list (specifically Cypress Hills area). The prices for rentals have become completely ridiculous the past couple of years. I saw a broken down converted 3 bedroom that was a 2 bedroom going for $2200/month. I can't remember if this was by Norwood or Cleveland on the J. Average 2 bedrooms are now going for 17-1800 a month over there.
I saw a landlord posting a 2 bedroom in Brownsville/ENY for $1750. I wanted to flag the post for absurdity.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM

223 posts, read 255,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I remember rentals for 2 bedrooms were $1000+ in 2008 in Bensonhurst. But to have an increase of just $200 after six years? That is LUCKY. You must be a great tenant. I see rentals now in Bensonhurst $1400 for a 2 Bedroom 63/23rd and 68/18th. Dyker Heights $1500 70/12th didn't expect to see such low rentals for the area considering low-income/high crime areas are charging the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City