Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
I disagree. Astoria for example has been said to be the most diverse place in all of NYC, if not the world. It has a great mix of people, residential/businesses, houses, apartments, parks and activities including nightlife.

LIC on the other hand has a bland homogeneous feel to it, streets somewhat empty and desolate, more residential cookie cutter glass towers filled with young professions, severe lack of amenities. Maybe it will change but the current trend is just build 4-30 story similar rentals/condos with cheap materials and sell at Manhattan prices.

Now that I think about it, perhaps I am wrong, LIC doesn't feel like a 'neighborhood' at all
What you described is not ghetto. Ghetto or hood are large swaths of areas which look and feel like third world countries when you're in em. They don't encompass glass towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM

107 posts, read 219,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
What you described is not ghetto. Ghetto or hood are large swaths of areas which look and feel like third world countries when you're in em. They don't encompass glass towers.
There are multiple definitions of the word ghetto. I described one, you described the other. While both are accurate, the colloquialism of the word would lean more towards your definition.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
East NY and Brownsville

Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
East NY and Brownsville
Mount Eden

Longwood

Mott Haven

Fordham

Hunts Point

Highbridge

University Heights

Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I think you're confusing LIC with Astoria. The other poster gives a more accurate picture, although I'd argue that LIC has an older demographic than he/she thinks. There are younger people but most of the folks I see are clearly middle-aged (or at least over 30) or have families, especially around Vernon Blvd.
I know both neighborhoods very well. Lived in Astoria in the past. Have family in both still, and that goes back pre-gentrification. Saying that LIC is desolate and lacks amenities is said out of straight jealousy for not being able to afford to live there these days. It has more restaurants, bars and cafes than most neighborhoods. More waterfront parks, museums and libraries than most neighborhoods. More trains that are only one stop away from Midtown Manhattan than, any neighborhood. The police department is right there. There are churches there as well. Also a bridge and a tunnel that takes you right into Manhattan. Even has an LIRR stop and ferry service. It s not ghetto by any definition, no matter how made up that definition is. It definitely has more amenities than say, St Albans, for example.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Brownsville, East New York, Coney Island

Old 06-08-2016, 11:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I see a lot of the city due to my employment. My vote goes for Far Rockaway, although some deep parts of the Bronx (South Bronx) and Brooklyn (Brownsville, East New York) still come close. But honestly they come up short to a place that isn't even in the city. and that place is Yonkers! By far the worst i've seen in my time on this earth has been the ghetto areas of Yonkers.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 AM

223 posts, read 255,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Brownsville, East New York, Coney Island
Even though five people were shot on W. 15 this past weekend in Coney Island. Brownsville and ENY still takes the cake.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
Even though five people were shot on W. 15 this past weekend in Coney Island. Brownsville and ENY still takes the cake.
I think these 3 may be the most crime-ridden/dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The "ghettos" of NYC are basically the suburbs compared to the most dangerous parts of the country
100%. I lived in Chicago for 3 years and there are parts of the southside and towards the western suburbs that make ENY/Brownsville look like genuinely wonderful places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City