Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Good portions of Bronx, Brooklyn and northern Manhattan seem ghetto to me. In other news, the sky is blue and Mars is red.
In the 80s and 90s good portions of Manhattan below 96th Street where ghetto. LES, Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:37 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Is Edenwald considered a part of Wakefield? Depending in how you classify Edenwald, Wakefield could be said to be hood with or without NYCHA.

But in terms of the worst poverty and crime stats that unfortunate honor goes to Brownsville and East New York.
//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_o View Post
I hope you end up in a crack rifled neighborhood. With assisted living and all. I hope they put a housing project infront of your apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The ghetto in your own head
So deep, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The North Bronx has NYCHA.
Depends on the neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whatever you call that neighborhood north of Fordham Road...boundaries are Bedford Park Blvd, Grand Concourse, Fordham Road and Webster Avenue. No NYCHA and its the hood over there.
That might be called Fordham Manor

Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That might be called Fordham Manor
I'm not the best with Bronx neighborhood names and boundaries, but I highly doubt the locals say "I live in Fordham Manor..." It's like around my way, nobody says they actually live in Arverne unless they're actually saying their address or they are referring to the actual housing project. I'm sure the locals call it something else, like just "Fordham." I'm not saying you're wrong on the neighborhood name, I just think it's funny

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not the best with Bronx neighborhood names and boundaries, but I highly doubt the locals say "I live in Fordham Manor..." It's like around my way, nobody says they actually live in Arverne unless they're actually saying their address or they are referring to the actual housing project. I'm sure the locals call it something else, like just "Fordham." I'm not saying you're wrong on the neighborhood name, I just think it's funny
I'm not sure if that's what the neighborhood is even called, I just vaguely remember a News 12 report possiblt in that area with that neighborhood name.

You're right though, lots of neighborhood names are unused. Does anyone say Park Versailles, Unionport, etc.?

Even iconic Mott Haven I noticed a lot of people don't seem to use, they'll say "South Bronx" or the street they live off. Which is a shame because I like the name "Mott Haven", "South Bronx" is generic and refers to a huge swath of neighborhoods.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think Mott Haven's ghettoness is exaggerated a little bit, Longwood seems worse to me.
Just walked outside.

So. Much. Ghettoness.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Just walked outside.

So. Much. Ghettoness.
Morrisania?

Old 08-21-2016, 01:29 PM

236 posts, read 271,922 times
Brownsville is the clear leader here. Everyone else is playing for second.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:50 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
3av/149th would be the closest thing to a downtown Bronx.
There we have it. They should redelop that entire Hub area and make that happen

Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 PM

236 posts, read 271,922 times
I'm also curious about Bushwick. For years people talked about it's issue with crime and poverty. Maybe not in the same light as a Brownsville or ENY, but that it was only a few tiers below it. Now, from my understanding, a lot of recent college grads are moving into that section of Brooklyn. Has gentrification rapidly hit that section?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City