Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times

Advertisements

3av/149th would be the closest thing to a downtown Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
FFS, there's a lot of hate for the Bronx around here. I've spent a bit of time there recently and it's fine. I liked it, honestly. Fordham, University Heights, Concourse, even Mott Haven -- all have things going for them.

The most 'ghetto' areas of NY, in my experience, are all in Brooklyn. I couldn't give exact boundaries but it got steadily shabbier as I headed south-east of Williamsburg.

But then I think people back-slapping each other about NY neighborhood ghettos should take a drive around rural Texas or New Mexico. Jesus wept.
I agree that the hate for Mott Haven is exaggerated. Some of the neighborhoods to its North seem pretty bad, though.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Good portions of Bronx, Brooklyn and northern Manhattan seem ghetto to me. In other news, the sky is blue and Mars is red.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 PM

17 posts, read 24,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
In terms of how it looks and its vibe.
I hope you end up in a crack rifled neighborhood. With assisted living and all. I hope they put a housing project infront of your apt.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
The ghetto in your own head

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are plenty of business districts in the Bronx, just like in the other Outer Boroughs.

There's no "downtown", if course. Manhattan is the "downtown" of the region. Brooklyn has a neighborhood called "downtown" but it's just a name. You could call Fordham Rd. or wherever the "downtown Bronx" if you wanted to, but what's the point?
I would argue that Downtown Brooklyn is a legit "downtown". People go there for shopping, events, work, the courts, etc. Alot of city agencies have most of their functions in DT BK. I wish the city had developed LIC in Queens as an office district to expand beyond Manhattan. It would have been a great DT for Queens but now it's simply a residential neighborhood. Oh Well.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
People's perceptions of what is "ghetto" might be different, but I can't think of any neighborhoods that both lack NYCHA and are considered to be run down by most people. Maybe somewhere in the North Bronx?
The North Bronx has NYCHA.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
That might make it more interesting. However I can't think of any neighborhoods that are both ghetto and NYCHA free.
Whatever you call that neighborhood north of Fordham Road...boundaries are Bedford Park Blvd, Grand Concourse, Fordham Road and Webster Avenue. No NYCHA and its the hood over there.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I would argue that Downtown Brooklyn is a legit "downtown". People go there for shopping, events, work, the courts, etc. Alot of city agencies have most of their functions in DT BK. I wish the city had developed LIC in Queens as an office district to expand beyond Manhattan. It would have been a great DT for Queens but now it's simply a residential neighborhood. Oh Well.
JetBlue is based in LIC. So is Uber's NYC operations. The city health department is headquartered in LIC. Citibank has a big building there. LIC has movie studios, museums, and non profits. It is also a business center. You have advertising agencies and social service agencies there as well.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whatever you call that neighborhood north of Fordham Road...boundaries are Bedford Park Blvd, Grand Concourse, Fordham Road and Webster Avenue. No NYCHA and its the hood over there.
Is Edenwald considered a part of Wakefield? Depending in how you classify Edenwald, Wakefield could be said to be hood with or without NYCHA.

But in terms of the worst poverty and crime stats that unfortunate honor goes to Brownsville and East New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City