Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times

Advertisements

Why do all these pampered brats keep moving to lower class neighborhoods? I am more than sure that they can you afford to live where where hood people can't afford, so what is really up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 PM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Why do all these pampered brats keep moving to lower class neighborhoods? I am more than sure that they can you afford to live where where hood people can't afford, so what is really up with that?
From my personal experience, the majority of the transplants I know all come from middle class families, so their mom and dad really can't front them any money like that.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From my personal experience, the majority of the transplants I know all come from middle class families, so their mom and dad really can't front them any money like that.
Absolutely. There is this great myth that transplants are rich kids when the reality is they come from middle (or "upper" middle class) homes. Sure, they may have grown up in a nice roomy house in suburban Ohio but it's unlikely that their parents can afford to pay the mortgage on their house AND supplement the rent on a $3500/month apartment. Keep in mind one can have a very comfortable lifestyle in the Midwest on a $100K HHI, but that same salary won't go as far in NYC and it certainly can't support living in both NYC and Ohio. If the parents were financially savvy enough, they would have saved to minimize their children's college tuition burden but once that's done, the "transplants" are usually on their own financially speaking.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Absolutely. There is this great myth that transplants are rich kids when the reality is they come from middle (or "upper" middle class) homes. Sure, they may have grown up in a nice roomy house in suburban Ohio but it's unlikely that their parents can afford to pay the mortgage on their house AND supplement the rent on a $3500/month apartment. Keep in mind one can have a very comfortable lifestyle in the Midwest on a $100K HHI, but that same salary won't go as far in NYC and it certainly can't support living in both NYC and Ohio. If the parents were financially savvy enough, they would have saved to minimize their children's college tuition burden but once that's done, the "transplants" are usually on their own financially speaking.
The other thing few neighborhoods have actually gentrified to the extent that Chelsea has and become a truly well off neighborhood. Most of these young middle class transplants eventually move out, to be replaced by more middle class transplants.

I'm not sure why people here seem to want to say transplant=Midwesterner. Young people from all over moved to NYC, including immigrants and this has been going on for a long time. So has the high rates of turnover.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM

782 posts, read 859,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Native New Yorkers (or those living here for a majority of their lives) naturally have a much different perception of the city than someone who is looking to move here or just arrived. If you've been living here, you should have a general idea of where you'd feel comfortable living and which parts of the city feel unwelcoming or unsafe to you.

To a transplant, the city is one big unfamiliar playing field....they don't really know (beyond what they can research on the web) exactly what any neighborhood is like, they have no real context to know that. I think back to a time when I was considering a move to San Diego for work....trying to figure out what was safe and what wasn't was quite difficult. A lot of areas that looked just like any other part of SD on google maps were apparently "the hood." That was a huge contrast to the way I see NYC...i know every neighborhood and its borders and have long rooted understandings of what each one is like.

So, I can see a transplant not being able to understand the subtleties between neighborhoods in Brooklyn. To them, Brownsville can look and feel the same as other parts of the city while a native New Yorker would know that area is arguably the least pleasant part of the borough. I too find it annoying when I see the proverbial "Young professional moving to NYC, is [insert most dangerous intersection in crappy neighborhood here] safe " post, but I kind of get that they have no real gauge of what's reasonable and whats not, especially when they all probably assume that even the hoods here hip thanks to what happened with Williamsburg.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Native New Yorkers (or those living here for a majority of their lives) naturally have a much different perception of the city than someone who is looking to move here or just arrived. If you've been living here, you should have a general idea of where you'd feel comfortable living and which parts of the city feel unwelcoming or unsafe to you.

To a transplant, the city is one big unfamiliar playing field....they don't really know (beyond what they can research on the web) exactly what any neighborhood is like, they have no real context to know that. I think back to a time when I was considering a move to San Diego for work....trying to figure out what was safe and what wasn't was quite difficult. A lot of areas that looked just like any other part of SD on google maps were apparently "the hood." That was a huge contrast to the way I see NYC...i know every neighborhood and its borders and have long rooted understandings of what each one is like.

So, I can see a transplant not being able to understand the subtleties between neighborhoods in Brooklyn. To them, Brownsville can look and feel the same as other parts of the city while a native New Yorker would know that area is arguably the least pleasant part of the borough. I too find it annoying when I see the proverbial "Young professional moving to NYC, is [insert most dangerous intersection in crappy neighborhood here] safe " post, but I kind of get that they have no real gauge of what's reasonable and whats not, especially when they all probably assume that even the hoods here hip thanks to what happened with Williamsburg.
You think it's hard identifying good and bad neighborhoods in NYC? Give an example of a neighborhood that can confuse a transplant into thinking it's safe when its not.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
like ocean hill isnt????? youre hilarious
It really isn't when has the last time you have been there? Lets compare housing stock along Decatur st or Halsey.

Which place has 1.5 million dollar brownstones being sold. Okay.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
It really isn't when has the last time you have been there? Lets compare housing stock along Decatur st or Halsey.

Which place has 1.5 million dollar brownstones being sold. Okay.
Cut it out. Park Slope it ain't.

Call me when it looks like Smith Street.

PS: She's renting not buying.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
You think it's hard identifying good and bad neighborhoods in NYC? Give an example of a neighborhood that can confuse a transplant into thinking it's safe when its not.
Most of gentrifying brownstone Brooklyn falls into that bucket. Even the "not yet gentrifying" ares of ENY and Brownsville have well kept rowhouses that look totally fine from google images/street view.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
Quote:
Cut it out. Park Slope it ain't.

Call me when it looks like Smith Street.

PS: She's renting not buying.
I'm comparing it to the Bronx NOT park slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City