Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Buses in Manhattan primarily service the elderly and disabled, and are run by the MTA for that very reason. The MTA cannot afford to either retrofit all, or even most subway stations for ADA nor expand paratransit, so buses it is. In the Outer Boroughs, the buses should be reconfigured to not make quite as many stops and have more direct routes. Houston, TX recently did a successful revamp of their bus system to make things more efficient.
I agree with this. Most buses are super slow because they have to stop every 2 blocks. They need to change the system, make it every 5 block or so instead. Some buses have stops almost directly across the street from each other.

Plus some buses have some reaaly out of wack routes that just make them much slower then they should be. Perfect example is the Q23 in Forest Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
MTA needs to implement more "Limited" service for cross town buses. There is no reason for every single bus to stop at every single avenue, especially at rush hours.

Select bus service is *NOT* the answer either. You still wait forever for the 96th, 86th, and 72nd buses Select service or not.
Limited service on crosstown buses won't help much of they're stopped at every traffic light anyway or behind turning cars. We'd need dedicated bus lanes instead.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:24 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree with this. Most buses are super slow because they have to stop every 2 blocks. They need to change the system, make it every 5 block or so instead. Some buses have stops almost directly across the street from each other.

Plus some buses have some reaaly out of wack routes that just make them much slower then they should be. Perfect example is the Q23 in Forest Hills.
What makes the Q23 out of wack? I can't tell based on the map.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
What makes the Q23 out of wack? I can't tell based on the map.
That bus would be alot more time efficient if it simply went down 71 Avenue then 108 street, rather then drive down a bunch of random side blocks in Forest Hills to serve Austin St.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
most people don't walk 7.5mph? Heck I bet most people couldn't run say 7 miles from Columbia University to WTC at 8 minutes pace (7.5 miles/hr)
Where I went to school I almost always walked instead of taking the M23 because 95% of the time I could go from York/1st to Lex by foot and beat the bus up there. So during the day, the bus was probably going no more than 1 MPH.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM

539 posts, read 523,998 times
NYC needs more cross town shuttles, a lower west side line or another extension of the 7 train, a completion of the 2 line to Central Harlem, and another Queens-Brooklyn line...cause buses pretty much suck

Old 06-20-2016, 12:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Taking the bus is more frustrating than walking or biking. I've missed the bus a few times but I was able to out run the bus that was stuck in traffic and traffic lights.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 PM

436 posts, read 565,475 times
Quote:
That bus would be alot more time efficient if it simply went down 71 Avenue then 108 street, rather then drive down a bunch of random side blocks in Forest Hills to serve Austin St.

Considering what's on that stretch of Austin St., I doubt they're going to change the route anytime soon.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Two obvious reasons why-

2. Lower Speed Limits. Speed limits went down to a turtle like 25mph. Cars move slower, buses move slower.

I honestly feel bad for people that have to rely on local buses to commute. Walking is even faster half the time.

I doubt the 25 mph speed limit has much to do with a vehicle moving 7.47 miles per hour. The speed is drastically limited by other factors than the speed limit, like sheer volume of traffic, obstructions to traffic flow, morons parked in bus lanes, etc.

Hmmm, if the M15 ever hit 7.47 mph downtown, I would feel I was on a JET.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I doubt the 25 mph speed limit has much to do with a vehicle moving 7.47 miles per hour. The speed is drastically limited by other factors than the speed limit, like sheer volume of traffic, obstructions to traffic flow, morons parked in bus lanes, etc.

Hmmm, if the M15 ever hit 7.47 mph downtown, I would feel I was on a JET.
It is a contributing factor, although definitely not the only one. Other factors are like you said, too much traffic congestion, double parkers, poor road conditions, "shrinking" streets for bike lanes or pedestrian plazas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: