Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,763 times

Advertisements

I experienced the same .. I lived in several predominantly Dominican buildings in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

It's important to note that many NYC Dominicans that are on the low income level are from ghettos in Santo Domingo. I have been many times to Santo Domingo and have first hand experience.

This is not representative of the whole country. Compare a young lady from Los Minas to a young from el Cibao... and you will see the difference.

Usually manners correlate with level of education and unfortunately the low income buildings in NYC are filled with generational poverty from DR. They care more about cleaning their BMW , buying (fake) Gucci shoes and popping bottles in the club .. than saving for their kids college, having a career or even moving out of the hood.

This is NOT specific to dominicans... it can apply to PR, irish, russians or any uneducated group. I lived in a building with so many kids and families... there were many rats and roaches and people smoking cigarettes in the hallway.. real trashy.

I now live in a building with mix residents that does credit check and there dominican residents... but they are educated and well mannered.

Many of the poorer residents or those that don't have opportunity come to the US from DR. Those that have education, jobs and businesses have no motive to come to NYC and live off welfare . So NYC gets the bulk of those that "mangaron su visa" aka got a US VISA by any means and now live here off the government. Once again this is NOT everyone.

You will find that most NYC latinos are either DR, PR and mexican , ecuadorian.

Furthermore, I think is the culture... there many single moms and the " tigueraje" culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You make very good points about the Irish and Italians.

But why are we idiots for discussing? You have been brainwashed over time to think that speaking about obvious challenges are "Off Limits" because you have been taught it is "Racist" to speak negatively about certain minority races.

I'm Rican and yes my people can be filthy an ghetto, especially the fresh off the boat ones.

Stop conforming to this idea that speaking about minority groups = racist.

KKK who hang black off trees are racist. People who owned slaves are Racist. Talking about how dirty dominicans live in building and how people witness people not keep the place they live clean is NOT racist, it is called venting and shedding light on an issue. If people were cleaner and knew how to be good neighbors, this thread would not exist. Stop blaming people who call things out and start holding people accountable for their actions.
Actually the most ghetto Puerto Ricans on average are nuyoricans not FOB.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What about Americans who come from places like these? Does the same apply?

Nope, people who created and own blights like the one in Post #10 live in homes like THIS:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: