Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

So, are there any white Protestant churches in Manhattan? For real? I'm guessing even Marble Collegiate isn't all white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 PM

491 posts, read 375,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm sorry that you were hurt by your girlfriend's parents' reaction to your relationship, and that the relationship had to end as a result.

It also strikes me that when you approached rabbis regarding conversion to Judaism, they discouraged you/wouldn't help you, perhaps because they realized you were motivated because you wanted to be with your girlfriend.
This isn't considered a valid reason to convert to Judaism. One must truly want to be a Jew and live as a Jew.

A Racquet's Club is a privately owned social club. When it specifically excludes particular races/ethnicities, it is racist. Please don't defend it and pretend that that's somehow "okay."
well maybe that racquet club didn't feel that jews truly wanted to be american and live as americans of the time. there are communities who feel threatened. sometimes it's not an ill-will evilness that the media protrays, sometimes people want things to remain the same. i'm sure hasidics wouldn't be happy if the chinese started buying up all the properties around their neighborhood. this is my point within this thread. the irony can't be denied.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So, are there any white Protestant churches in Manhattan? For real? I'm guessing even Marble Collegiate isn't all white.
i go to redeemer. as gdale says, it has a large asian membership. i'd say it's around 70% white, 25% asian, and 5% black/hispanic.

70% white in manhattan is probably the most whitest you'll ever see within protestant churches in nyc.

tim keller is an interesting guy. i came to this church via julian robertson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pax75NiL0g

Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
well maybe that racquet club didn't feel that jews truly wanted to be american and live as americans of the time. there are communities who feel threatened. sometimes it's not an ill-will evilness that the media protrays, sometimes people want things to remain the same. i'm sure hasidics wouldn't be happy if the chinese started buying up all the properties around their neighborhood. this is my point within this thread. the irony can't be denied.
Things never remain the same and that's definitely true of NYC neighborhoods. As for Hasidics, plenty of Jewish property owners would happily sell to Chinese buyers for the right price, and many ALREADY have.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
well maybe that racquet club didn't feel that jews truly wanted to be american and live as americans of the time. .
How disgusting!

In what way are we not "American" or "not truly wanting to be American"? We are just as American as you, my friend.

That's exactly the disgusting attitude I'm talking about: this idea that only white Episcopalian Protestants feel they are "real Americans".

Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You are using your rejection by your girlfriend and projecting that onto everyone.
Exactly.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
How disgusting!

In what way are we not "American" or "not truly wanting to be American"? We are just as American as you, my friend.

That's exactly the disgusting attitude I'm talking about: this idea that only white Episcopalian Protestants feel they are "real Americans".
Mind you, you're speaking to a bitter internet troll who got dumped by his Jewish girlfriend. Not really fair to say all Episcopalians or even most think that they are real Americans based on that. Actually Episcopalians are a tiny minority EVEN among Protestants. Biggest protestant group among Americans is Baptists.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Mind you, you're speaking to a bitter internet troll who got dumped by his Jewish girlfriend. Not really fair to say all Episcopalians or even most think that they are real Americans based on that.
Okay, true.
Thanks for the perspective.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
How disgusting!

it is disgusting, and i in no way feel that way, i'm saying that is how these people may have felt threatened by an immigrant culture during a time of transition esp in the 80's.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Mind you, you're speaking to a bitter internet troll who got dumped by his Jewish girlfriend. Not really fair to say all Episcopalians or even most think that they are real Americans based on that. Actually Episcopalians are a tiny minority EVEN among Protestants. Biggest protestant group among Americans is Baptists.
i didn't say that's how i feel. i said that may have been the prevalant thinking in white suburbs back in the day. there is always one form of racism or another in american society, and it goes both ways is what i've been trying to say. people believe that progress is being achieved, but our nation is more divided than ever.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 06-28-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City