Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

that area is called mariner's harbor mead. a kind of run-down, mostly industrial neighborhood. mariner's harbor houses (NYCHA) is also in the neighborhood. i've driven over there once, but it was night time so i really didnt get a perspective. but from research about the area, it seems like time forgot this place.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Interesting. It was just disconcerting to see a place like that on Staten Island. I had always imagined Staten Island to be all peaches & cream, and clean looking suburban housing. I guess all areas have their rough sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
that area is called mariner's harbor mead. a kind of run-down, mostly industrial neighborhood. mariner's harbor houses (NYCHA) is also in the neighborhood. i've driven over there once, but it was night time so i really didnt get a perspective. but from research about the area, it seems like time forgot this place.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
thats actually 1 of the great things about nyc....you get the good the bad and the ugly all in one

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 AM
col

131 posts, read 674,863 times
Thumbs up I agree.

Caring outsiders who get involved will be one of the best things to happen here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Well, you can chuckle. I think it's attitude of SI like you is the reason that SI has it's "stigma" from the city folks. I guess it takes an outsider like to see the value of "location, location" close to the Ferry to see it's value. I don't live in Park Hill, but I have spoken to many realtors and the parts that have the old victorian homes in the hills are being purchased and being renovated. This type of change has increased real estate in many parts of the US.

It's funny to me that SI has this attitude like "you are better", but it comes off as being pretentious from low esteem. I have many friends in the city that live in CT, Westchester and the city as well and when they found out I live in SI they were shocked...I wasn't afraid to buy on SI because it was a good fit for me and my lifestyle....but I made my case, they seen my home with the view and they are truly impressed. It takes someone like me that is not afraid of "status" and see value beyond the "stigma". SI is a great location... near the Ferry is where I find those transplants from other parts of the US that see the same. Obviously, it will take outsiders to change SI. Happy to do it!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:06 AM

37 posts, read 72,747 times
Default Staten Island is the best of the 5 NYC boroughs

It's so sad to read all this negative feedback based on a person's one negative experience. You want the truth - NYC is all garbage, it's always been and it will always be. Staten Island is the best of the 5 boroughs. I don't know why people say Staten Island is conservative, nobody cares if you are gay, black, white, redneck, naked, child molester, rich, homeless - they are all over the world including NYC and Staten Island.
I don't know why people say that you need a car in Staten Island. This borough has a great mass transit system just like any borough in NYC (with the exception of the subway). It has local and express bus lines, railway, ferry to NYC. I live on the island and it takes my 55 min by bus and ferry to go to my office in Wall Street. I used to live in the Bronx, and it would take me the same amount of time to get to 86 St.
It's human nature that people will never be happy. But you all need to wake up and face reality. Long Island is highly expensive, NJ and Westchester County have very high taxes.
Staten Island has nice housing, infrastructure, shops and schools and its affordable for all to have a good living below half a million. It offers the best at the lowest price. All the rest offers you nothing but 1 million and above and a lot of stress above it.

If you don't believe me, just visit all five boroughs (a few neighborhoods) at a time and decide for yourself. It may work for some and not for others, but overall it's great!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Ah, the infamous "move"

Great Kills is definitely too far out if you want 15 min to the VZ.

Also check out Westerleigh and Sunnyside. Dont set your expectations too high though, the quality of life seems to be dropping everywhere on SI (except Todt Hill obviously). It just isnt quite the NJ suburbs nor is it the good ol days of Bensonhurst
Do you live on Staten Island? Maybe the quality of life is deteriorating in your neighborhood. It is not where I live, and Staten Island has a multitude of beautiful areas such as: Lighthouse Hill, Richdmontown, Grymes Hill, Sunset Hill, Todt Hill, South East Annadale (where many, many realtors live), Princess Bay, Hughenot, Pleasant Plains, and Tottenville. Sure there are many cars, because we do not have many highways due to having so many green belts and preserves that will be destroyed, if they are put through them. And yes, there are many semi-attached houses and townhouses, but there is no more land left for building large developments. And thank God that we do not have many rental buildings, so we can keep lots of ugly people away! I love it here, it has been my home for the last 40 years. My property taxes are very low, compared to the property taxes in New Jersey, which are the highest in the nation, which is one of the reasons I have never attempted to move there.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM

402 posts, read 1,016,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alketi View Post
It's so sad to read all this negative feedback based on a person's one negative experience. You want the truth - NYC is all garbage, it's always been and it will always be. Staten Island is the best of the 5 boroughs. I don't know why people say Staten Island is conservative, nobody cares if you are gay, black, white, redneck, naked, child molester, rich, homeless - they are all over the world including NYC and Staten Island.
I don't know why people say that you need a car in Staten Island. This borough has a great mass transit system just like any borough in NYC (with the exception of the subway). It has local and express bus lines, railway, ferry to NYC. I live on the island and it takes my 55 min by bus and ferry to go to my office in Wall Street. I used to live in the Bronx, and it would take me the same amount of time to get to 86 St.
It's human nature that people will never be happy. But you all need to wake up and face reality. Long Island is highly expensive, NJ and Westchester County have very high taxes.
Staten Island has nice housing, infrastructure, shops and schools and its affordable for all to have a good living below half a million. It offers the best at the lowest price. All the rest offers you nothing but 1 million and above and a lot of stress above it.

If you don't believe me, just visit all five boroughs (a few neighborhoods) at a time and decide for yourself. It may work for some and not for others, but overall it's great!
I live on Ward Hill and I would have to agree with you. When I first moved from CA I lived in the city. I loved being in the city, but the apt living is what I could not do. I love my neighborhood and block. We have lawyers, business owners, doctors, firefighters, a famous jazz musician and even an ex-senator that lives here. Everyone is so friendly. We all help eachother, have block parties...when I first moved in all the neighbors came over and said hello. I love the summers and winters...summers everyone is out gardening and winter shoveling snow...great time for all of us to have conversations, share gardening tips, share renovations stories and etc.

My home, I love, I have a huge screened in patio surrounded by large trees and the view of the city. I spend many mornings with a cup of coffee, my laptop, newspaper and afternoons with barbecue and having dinner outdoors. I can see every fireworks that the city has to offer. It's a great life. I think it's the best kept secret in NYC.

I work in downtown and now I walk to the bus stop (which is around the corner from my home) and in 5 mins I am at the ferry and a short walk I am at work. After work I play in the city and come home. If I don't want to bus I take a cab home for $6. It's a great life. I feel truly blessed that I found SI. It give me all that I want even more.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
How is the Rosebank area of Staten island? Also how is Virginia ave. in Rosebank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City