Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
your bf must be happy with all that angry sex.
ha! I was wondering the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM

49 posts, read 50,374 times
Quote:
i know danji and hooni kim and his other restaurant hanjan. his food is diluted fusion korean, and probably learned his ethic from your robot boyfriend. i get it now. cos masa and the asian chefs who are offshoots of daniel boulud are from the fine dining pedigree. most of masa were daniel's prep and sous chefs. their roots are in western french preparations and presentation. i never considered masa an authentic japanese restaurant but rather asian fusion fine dining with silly caviar on otoro, catering to the upper crust of nyc. and masa uses WAY too much avocado for the white man, like me. and masa's restaurant model is more a pretentious workflow, it reeks of it.. as probably is the ethos of your bf. chefs like your boyfriend are WAY out of touch with japanese culture. he's from pedigree and the whole celebrity chef ethos.. i know that scene well.

your bf is a product of that scene. it's very leftist which explains your communist tinge.
Actually he's not since he was a manager of a Japanese BBQ restaurant PRIOR to Masa and he has no idea who any of the celebrity chefs are since he's too busy working at being a chef and not pretending to be a know-it-all nor a representative of ALL of Japan. And he will ALWAYS be Japanese, something you're not...at all and you can never take that fact away from him. The fact you think you can criticize someone who doesn't fit your RACIST STEREOTYPES on how you THINK a Japanese person should look/act/talk/walk is pathetic and highly disrespectful. Outsiders, like yourself, really need to tone it down LEARN THEIR PLACE because you never been seen as any type of authority figure on ramen, let alone Japanese cuisine nor cultures. You have the nerve to call Masa and my bf "pretentious" and "out of touch with Japanese culture" when you're a lonely insecure white guy, who supposedly spent over a year in Japan yet appears to have had little to no interaction with the local people, with a serious case of OVERESTIMATING his importance. Masa doesn't care about you, my bf doesn't care about you, they know people like you are highly problematic which is why they're getting every cent they can get out of ignorant people like yourself and I say, GOOD ON THEM especially Masa for charging the prices he does! You sound so bitter, good

Last edited by lightningfro; 07-15-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 PM

491 posts, read 375,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
People just have different priorities. If people don't want to pay more for better-quality food, that's fine. Some people can't afford it, some would rather spend their money elsewhere. I just think it's funny that people don't understand why prices are what they are and they feel the need to put down others who do pay these prices. It's great that ramen costs less elsewhere but how does that help me when my choices are eat out at a ramen place in Manhattan, cook ramen at home (where I may or may not have the time or skill set to do so), or don't eat ramen at all.

By the way, I saw you listed your favorite ramen places in the city. Have you been to Mu Ramen in Long Island City? I think they have the highest prices that I've seen yet but I read that they use quality ingredients and certainly rent can't be cheap there.
i completely agree. it's also pointless to scorn others who are willing to pay a price for a premium offering that they can appreciate. and i never judge others who are budget conscious.

i've had mu ramen. i had the oxtail bone marrow ramen. it is owned by a korean chef, named josh smookler (he's adopted by jewish family), and this broth is similar to a korean noodle soup called sulung tang. it wasn't anything special imho, but it's a fun space.

i wrote a bit on being a bit wary of those from the lineage. josh is from pedigree which has alot of built in manufactured hype. i know him from bouley and per se which are french restaurants.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-15-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
ha! I was wondering the same thing
Sounds like the two of you are jealous
Not my fault, but word of advice: pretentious personalities/attitudes tend to be a real mood-killer

Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfro View Post
Actually he's not since he was a manager of a Japanese BBQ restaurant PRIOR to Masa and he has no idea who any of the celebrity chefs are since he's too busy working at being a chef and not pretending to be a know-it-all nor a representative of ALL of Japan. And he will ALWAYS be Japanese, something you're not...at all and you can never take that fact away from him. The fact you think you can criticize someone who doesn't fit your RACIST STEREOTYPES on how you THINK a Japanese person should look/act/talk/walk is pathetic and highly disrespectful. Outsiders, like yourself, really need to tone it down LEARN THEIR PLACE because you never been seen as any type of authority figure on ramen, let alone Japanese cuisine nor cultures. You have the nerve to call Masa and my bf "pretentious" and "out of touch with Japanese culture" when you're a lonely insecure white guy, who supposedly spent over a year in Japan yet appears to have had little to no interaction with the local people, with a serious case of OVERESTIMATING his importance. Masa doesn't care about you, my bf doesn't care about you, they know people like you are highly problematic which is why they're getting every cent they can get out of ignorant people like yourself and I say, GOOD ON THEM especially Masa for charging the prices he does!
i never said the japanese people should have to fit a stereotype, especially in america via absorption of western culture. there is however much more homogenuity in japan, as there would be in a nation like germany or russia. this is what creates a unique culture, that people are proud of. you and your bf obviously have an insecurity of japanese culture. you exude and project that in every reply. and i said that you are adept at destroying traditional aspects of the culture and ignore them like it's some kind of myth. your leftist masters would be proud.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-15-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
i never said the japanese people should have to fit a stereotype, specifically in america via absorption of western culture. there is however much more homogenuity in japan, as there would be in a nation like germany or russia. this is what creates a unique culture, that people are proud of. you obviously have an insecurity of japanese culture. you exude and project that in every reply. and i said that you are adept at destroying traditional aspects of the culture and ignore them like it's some kind of myth. your leftist masters would be proud.
"masa's restaurant model is more a pretentious workflow, it reeks of it.. as probably is the ethos of your bf. chefs like your boyfriend are WAY out of touch with japanese culture."

Your quote, not mine, is definitely stating that they are "out of touch" with a culture they've been a part of their entire lives and implying that someone like yourself knows more than they do, and that condescending remark coming from someone like yourself? EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL. The only person showing their insecurity is you, Japan shows itself as a homogenous nation when the reality is different. If you've ever heard of Ainu and Ryukyuan as well as the long term ethnic Korean residents then you know Japan as a homogenous, singular culture is a myth. I'm adept on calling bs when I see, it's just that plain and simple. Me, recognizing the fact that Japan is not home to one, singular culture is not "destroying traditional aspects of the culture" I mean spare me the dramatics and if you're offended by the fact I see Japan as being much more than just "Zen Philosophy" then that's clearly a personal problem - yours

Last edited by lightningfro; 07-15-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
This topic really went places!

Soup noodles are great. To be honest, I don't think there's a single ramen in NYC that I have had which I would put in a top five.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfro View Post
"masa's restaurant model is more a pretentious workflow, it reeks of it.. as probably is the ethos of your bf. chefs like your boyfriend are WAY out of touch with japanese culture."

Your quote, not mine, is definitely stating that they are "out of touch" with a culture they've been a part of their entire lives, from someone like yourself is EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL. The only person showing their insecurity is you, Japan shows itself as a homogenous nation when the reality is different. If you've ever heard of Ainu and Ryukyuan as well as the long term ethnic Korean residents then you know Japan as a homogenous, singular culture is a myth. I'm adept on calling bs when I see, it's just that plain and simple. Me, recognizing the fact that Japan is not home to one, singular culture is not "destroying traditional aspects of the culture" I mean spare me the dramatics and if you're offended by the fact I see Japan as being much more than just "Zen Philosophy" then that's clearly a personal problem - yours
there are ethnic koreans, rykyuans, burakumin and ainu in japan. yet they mostly follow japanese customs. and even with the ethnic minority, japan remains one of the most homogeneous nations in the world. there is no pervasive subculture and enclaved minority melting pot within japan like america or nations in europe.

nice try.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-15-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This topic really went places!

Soup noodles are great. To be honest, I don't think there's a single ramen in NYC that I have had which I would put in a top five.
It really did which I didn't even mean to, and truthfully? I don't even remember the names of the ramen places I ate at, no wait actually there is one, but it was so bad it tasted like they used Maruchan noodles so I refuse to name the place

Last edited by lightningfro; 07-15-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
there are ethnic koreans, rykyuans, burakumin and ainu in japan. yet they mostly follow japanese customs. and even with the ethnic minority, japan remains one of the most homogeneous nations in the world. there is no pervasive subculture and enclaved minority melting pot within japan like america or europe.

nice try.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

Please, stop

Homogenous? Ethnic enclaves within Japan feel like stepping into another*world | RocketNews24

There's also a large Nigerian population in Tokyo, mainly in Roppongi and quite a few of them are successful business owners too.

Burakumin were seen as outcasts due to their occupations seen as being tainted with death (undertakers, butchers, executioners, etc), a lot of people mis-categorize Burakumin as a separate ethnic group, but they are ethnic Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City