Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times

Advertisements

My last landlord, Lefrak, would NOT allow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:11 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
BlakeJones - What TWC internet do you have that costs only $35 all-in? I have TWC internet only (Earthlink Extreme) and it costs me $70 after taxes/fees. Would appreciate your response. Thanks.
I have some other Earthlink from TWC that is $52 after taxes/fees and I am not charged for the box.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have some other Earthlink from TWC that is $52 after taxes/fees and I am not charged for the box.

Are you on a promo period, City?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Are you on a promo period, City?
No. Actually, I haven't looked at my account in quite awhile. I had to look and I actually DO have Earthlink Extreme, according to their website.

My husband used to call and complain to get them to lower it here and there but it gets tiresome. It was $50.something a few months ago and now it's $52.84. I'm not sure why maglev101's bill is twenty dollars more.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:14 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,465,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
ask your neighbor in apt. to share his wifi, pay him cash like $25/month
That's just asking for trouble. anyone who allows a stranger to use their wifi for $25 cash a month is a dope. You have no control over what illegal stuff the person is downloading leading the police right back to your apartment.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:18 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
That's just asking for trouble. anyone who allows a stranger to use their wifi for $25 cash a month is a dope. You have no control over what illegal stuff the person is downloading leading the police right back to your apartment.
You could say the same of any coffee shop or retail business offering free wifi to their customers. Obviously if investigators came knocking on your door it would be a simple exercise to prove that you are sharing internet with the neighbor. And let's be real here, it's not some guy in a back alley it's your neighbor who you presumable have a friendly relationship with

Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You could say the same of any coffee shop or retail business offering free wifi to their customers. Obviously if investigators came knocking on your door it would be a simple exercise to prove that you are sharing internet with the neighbor. And let's be real here, it's not some guy in a back alley it's your neighbor who you presumable have a friendly relationship with
Apples and Oranges

Consumer home Wifi is not rated for or allowed to be shared, look at the agreement you sign with your cable internet provider. If they ever found out someone is sharing their internet signal for money they would immediately terminate your service and possibly sue you for breach of contract if they wanted to take it that far.

Commercial wifi like in Starbucks and other public places have special equipment to both handle the load and also the ISP charges them accordingly for the internet connection ($500-$1000 per month) normally due to bandwidth and up-time SLA's.
Also since they are commercial accounts with plans that are designed to be shared by thousands of anonymous customers a day, there is already built in deniability and limited liability for the business in terms of what people are doing over the shared connection.

If you friendly neighbor was downloading and distributing illegal child photos over your internet service, you better damn well realize that the cops are not just going to "take your word for it" that it wads all your neighbors fault. You will have to prove it was NOT you, especially if your neighbor plays stupid. It was traced back to YOUR IP address and your ACCOUNT. That's all Law Enforcement needs to know.
Prove it to the judge they would tell you.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Apples and Oranges

Consumer home Wifi is not rated for or allowed to be shared, look at the agreement you sign with your cable internet provider. If they ever found out someone is sharing their internet signal for money they would immediately terminate your service and possibly sue you for breach of contract if they wanted to take it that far.

Commercial wifi like in Starbucks and other public places have special equipment to both handle the load and also the ISP charges them accordingly for the internet connection ($500-$1000 per month) normally due to bandwidth and up-time SLA's.
Also since they are commercial accounts with plans that are designed to be shared by thousands of anonymous customers a day, there is already built in deniability and limited liability for the business in terms of what people are doing over the shared connection.

If you friendly neighbor was downloading and distributing illegal child photos over your internet service, you better damn well realize that the cops are not just going to "take your word for it" that it wads all your neighbors fault. You will have to prove it was NOT you, especially if your neighbor plays stupid. It was traced back to YOUR IP address and your ACCOUNT. That's all Law Enforcement needs to know.
Prove it to the judge they would tell you.
Completely wrong, business class wifi can be had for as little as $60-$70 per month and businesses like restaurants share it all the time with their customers or anyone standing on the sidewalk for free. Nobody is suing you for sharing your connection with the guy next nor let alone ever finding out you're sharing it. And if your neighbor turns out to be a pedo then you've got way worse problems than him viewing disturbing images through your connection which you'll easily be able to prove your neighbor is using your connection

Old 07-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Completely wrong, business class wifi can be had for as little as $60-$70 per month and businesses like restaurants share it all the time with their customers or anyone standing on the sidewalk for free. Nobody is suing you for sharing your connection with the guy next nor let alone ever finding out you're sharing it. And if your neighbor turns out to be a pedo then you've got way worse problems than him viewing disturbing images through your connection which you'll easily be able to prove your neighbor is using your connection
OK I guess my 20 years in the IT/security business makes me not know anything of what I speak of. Thanks for the lesson buddy.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
OK I guess my 20 years in the IT/security business makes me not know anything of what I speak of.
It doesn't matter, there's the book and then there's New York City. Most businesses do not sign proper contracts with SLA's permitting redistribution they just get the cheapest package and share the connection with whoever walks in the door and they've been doing it for years

And yeah go ahead and find me even one example of a customer being sued for selling access to his connection with one or even two neighbors.... it just doesn't happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: