Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The population of the 23 special wards (the old Tokyo City) has a population of 9.2 million in 239 square miles. That's over 38,000 per square mile. That's 10,000 more people per square mile on average than NYC and a higher density than any borough except Manhattan.
well if you're going to selectively pick specific areas of Tokyo you have to be fair and selectively compare specific parts of NYC.

Manhattan has 66,940 people per square mile, almost double that of the area you're referring to in Tokyo

While we're at it, the population density of Astoria in Queens, for example, varies from about 26,000 to 62,000 people per square mile:
Population Density in Astoria, NY by Zip Code

So what the other poster was saying is right on, "Tokyo to me felt like Queens density". It obviously is applicable and the special wards of Tokyo don't compare at all to Manhattan density
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I am getting a new street pavings for Third Avenue AND Second Avenue (also new wide sidewalks. Just about done.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You suffer from mental illness. Perhaps the smells you smell are yourself and perhaps it us you who have the lack of sanitation. If there is a reason it stinks everywhere you go, the closest thing to you is you.
Lol being in a constant cloud of smoke dulls your olfactory senses.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:32 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
ny is undermaintained because the sanitation dept does a terrible job at cleaning.
and cleanliness doesnt seem to be an important factor here in NY, and shame on ALL our mayors for that.

other states are spotless, NY is disgusting, as is the boroughs, with the exception of Staten islan, its pretty clean.

then we get the trees planted, and then the tree pits become ashtrays and garbage pits, and weeds grow.....again, the city not taking care of it.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am getting a new street pavings for Third Avenue AND Second Avenue (also new wide sidewalks. Just about done.
People will start spitting gum out of their mouths in 3, 2, 1.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,421 times
Tokyo is cleaner, but New York is a far far more interesting and attractive city. Tokyo has a ton on modern boxy building that bore the hell out of me. Tokyo is not that great considering it's massive size and all.

A city as large and dense as New York will always be a challenge to clean and maintain. IMO it is relatively clean considering the millions that converge on Manhattan each day. I think the city needs to work a little harder at litter pickup and the such, but it is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, and I'm from Wisconsin for crying out loud.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Tokyo is cleaner, but New York is a far far more interesting and attractive city. Tokyo has a ton on modern boxy building that bore the hell out of me. Tokyo is not that great considering it's massive size and all.

A city as large and dense as New York will always be a challenge to clean and maintain. IMO it is relatively clean considering the millions that converge on Manhattan each day. I think the city needs to work a little harder at litter pickup and the such, but it is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, and I'm from Wisconsin for crying out loud.
People just love to complain

Old 09-11-2016, 03:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
ny is undermaintained because the sanitation dept does a terrible job at cleaning.
and cleanliness doesnt seem to be an important factor here in NY, and shame on ALL our mayors for that.

other states are spotless, NY is disgusting, as is the boroughs, with the exception of Staten islan, its pretty clean.

then we get the trees planted, and then the tree pits become ashtrays and garbage pits, and weeds grow.....again, the city not taking care of it.
Sanitation Dept is not responsible for cleaning. They just pick up the garbage bags. Property owners are responsible for cleaning.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Tokyo isn't really a much newer city, unless you mean that many of the old buildings were knocked down (or destroyed by earthquakes or wars) and rebuilt. But NYC could also rebuild old sections, just as Tokyo did. The oldest structure in Tokyo dates to early 1400's. The oldest one in NYC is from around 1650. So by that measure, Tokyo is much older.
Parts of Tokyo were leveled to the ground by firebombing in WWII (and rebuilt starting in the 50's):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

OTOH - there are areas that are old in comparison. Old fashioned looking too. But it's still hard to find buildings dating back to the 1400's .

When one is looking at population density - well there is Tokyo and then there is the Tokyo metropolitan area. Both are pretty different - with very different population densities. Also - the densest parts of the "city" tend to be places where people work (not live). Here are some maps that can give you a general idea:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...Y9A#.nkPxBaWqa

In terms of cleanliness - it's a cultural thing. And there are certain cultural norms. For example - it is considered unspeakably rude to eat or drink anything on the streets. Even when sitting on a bench. And - although people smoke a ton - throwing your cigarettes on the street is a total no-no too. People carry portable ashtrays - like these:

asobi-ds | Rakuten Global Market: Windmill HONEYCOMB3 honeycomb 3 portable ashtray moment fire 591-0001

I smoke and picked up a couple of these when I was in Tokyo. Use them everywhere. Don't think I've ever seen them for sale in the US.

I've been in Singapore too. And it wasn't quite what I expected. Most of the city is spotless. But there are some areas - like "Little India" - that aren't spotless (although they're far from awful). Also - there are some unusual things. Like although you're not allowed to smoke when walking down the street - every block or two there is a designated smoking area. Finally - Singapore is - overall - a *very* new city in terms of most of the buildings (although there are older parts of town that are being preserved as tourist attractions).

FWIW - I'm just a tourist in town for a few days. And sticking to the usual "tourist places". I haven't noticed that things look particularly dirty. OTOH - I have noticed that a lot of places like apartment buildings look old/worn out. With ancient A/C units hanging precariously on window sills in 4-5 story walk-ups (and there are places with no A/C units at all). And this is in the middle of Manhattan. Hard for me to believe that these units cost as much as people say they do. Or maybe these places are SROs. Don't know. Can anyone help me out on this? Robyn

Old 09-11-2016, 09:02 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Parts of Tokyo were leveled to the ground by firebombing in WWII (and rebuilt starting in the 50's):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

OTOH - there are areas that are old in comparison. Old fashioned looking too. But it's still hard to find buildings dating back to the 1400's .

When one is looking at population density - well there is Tokyo and then there is the Tokyo metropolitan area. Both are pretty different - with very different population densities. Also - the densest parts of the "city" tend to be places where people work (not live). Here are some maps that can give you a general idea:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...Y9A#.nkPxBaWqa

In terms of cleanliness - it's a cultural thing. And there are certain cultural norms. For example - it is considered unspeakably rude to eat or drink anything on the streets. Even when sitting on a bench. And - although people smoke a ton - throwing your cigarettes on the street is a total no-no too. People carry portable ashtrays - like these:

asobi-ds | Rakuten Global Market: Windmill HONEYCOMB3 honeycomb 3 portable ashtray moment fire 591-0001

I smoke and picked up a couple of these when I was in Tokyo. Use them everywhere. Don't think I've ever seen them for sale in the US.

I've been in Singapore too. And it wasn't quite what I expected. Most of the city is spotless. But there are some areas - like "Little India" - that aren't spotless (although they're far from awful). Also - there are some unusual things. Like although you're not allowed to smoke when walking down the street - every block or two there is a designated smoking area. Finally - Singapore is - overall - a *very* new city in terms of most of the buildings (although there are older parts of town that are being preserved as tourist attractions).

FWIW - I'm just a tourist in town for a few days. And sticking to the usual "tourist places". I haven't noticed that things look particularly dirty. OTOH - I have noticed that a lot of places like apartment buildings look old/worn out. With ancient A/C units hanging precariously on window sills in 4-5 story walk-ups (and there are places with no A/C units at all). And this is in the middle of Manhattan. Hard for me to believe that these units cost as much as people say they do. Or maybe these places are SROs. Don't know. Can anyone help me out on this? Robyn
The dingy looking tenements in Manhattan are expensive indeed, and part of their charm is their older look in my opinion.

People in NYC don't really care if the construction is new or not, or if the building looks nice from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City