Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:56 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
our own VP Biden had said LaGuardia is a third world airport. I had people come from countries that we consider third world who visited NYC and said our subways are disgusting. Its a bit embarrassing as a proud NYer
Don't fall for stupid politician tricks. The Biden thing was a setup. The planning and the environmental work for the LGA overhaul was already several years underway, but the idea was to make it look like Biden's buddy Andy would dramatically step in and save the day after the VP made the "third world country" statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 06:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Since I quite smoking cigarettes two years ago, from a pack a day habit of 15 years, this city just smells like pure garbage. Even in the nice parky areas. Even in the middle of a winter freeze, it just smells. It's probably not even all organic smells, but the smells of hardcore desperation and ingrained acedia. I take the R train to work and back. Sometimes the N train. I can't stand the smell of humans anymore. Those trains haven't been so packed as they are in the last 2-3 years with more stinkbags packing themselves into this city. It's truly nauseating. Whenever I smell someone who reeks (farts, poop, pee, menses, just generic B.O., just the generic human smell, etc) I try to breath through my mouth but I wind up almost feeling like i'm going to puke all over everyone.

I don't really mind litter (except for at the beach), it's just the smells that get to me sometimes... to the point where I almost want to start smoking again! And then you have people who stink to high heaven saying how they hate the smell of cigarette smoke in public. GMAFB! I'd rather smell that than the tampon you forgot to remove, the pee and **** stains on your crotch, the fecal matter you forgot to full clean, and the fact that you don't use deodorant?! ugh. People stink in this city, like pure garbage.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:21 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
where are you getting these figures from?

Tokyo 13.62 million
NYC 8.406 million
are you a troll or stupid? You said Tokyo was denser than NYC, so I gave you the pop. density of both cities.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Is Tokyo really only 16k per square mile? That's similar to the density of Hempstead, New York.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
Considering how large and important the city is and how much wealth is concentrated in Manhattan most of the areas seem quite dirty, infrastructure is outdated, sidewalks are uneven and filled with gum, crosswalks can barely be seen in many places etc. Even in the wealthy areas these problems exist. London looks well maintained and posh in wealthy areas for example, and infrastructure like roads etc is great. Where do all tax dollars get wasted? Many times I see a few great buildings but everything around them would make me question if I was even in the first world country.
Good question. In NYC, my better half has joked (grew up here in NYC), the philosophy has always been "Just enough is good enough for you". I do feel it is true. One exception is that now the Parks dept has fulfilled a plan to plant a wonderful, very broad variety of gorgeous trees in our area (Northeast Queens). The beauty of these trees is breathtaking!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
those trees? = bread and circuses.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Since I quite smoking cigarettes two years ago, from a pack a day habit of 15 years, this city just smells like pure garbage. Even in the nice parky areas. Even in the middle of a winter freeze, it just smells. It's probably not even all organic smells, but the smells of hardcore desperation and ingrained acedia. I take the R train to work and back. Sometimes the N train. I can't stand the smell of humans anymore. Those trains haven't been so packed as they are in the last 2-3 years with more stinkbags packing themselves into this city. It's truly nauseating. Whenever I smell someone who reeks (farts, poop, pee, menses, just generic B.O., just the generic human smell, etc) I try to breath through my mouth but I wind up almost feeling like i'm going to puke all over everyone.

I don't really mind litter (except for at the beach), it's just the smells that get to me sometimes... to the point where I almost want to start smoking again! And then you have people who stink to high heaven saying how they hate the smell of cigarette smoke in public. GMAFB! I'd rather smell that than the tampon you forgot to remove, the pee and **** stains on your crotch, the fecal matter you forgot to full clean, and the fact that you don't use deodorant?! ugh. People stink in this city, like pure garbage.

Thank you for my new word for the day. It's a very useful word.
I always thought I had the best sense of smell in the tri-state area...not a good thing. Aquarius, you seem to be even more accursed than I. The smell of a bum, presumably still alive but maybe not, that I encountered in the subway last month would likely have killed you. It was the worst smell I have ever encountered in a relatively long life. Ten times worse even than the sea of overflowing Porta-Potties at Woodstock.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-13-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
are you a troll or stupid? You said Tokyo was denser than NYC, so I gave you the pop. density of both cities.
I'm guessing he's a lot of both

Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is Tokyo really only 16k per square mile? That's similar to the density of Hempstead, New York.
Outside of the main Yamanote loop stations, Tokyo to me felt like Queens density.

Core Tokyo is roughly 23,000 ppsm.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:55 AM

74 posts, read 73,959 times
I love NYC. There is no other city like it.

My family is from Jersey. The funny thing is, despite it's reputation, Jersey is pristine with an amazing school system, minus the ghettos of course. My parents live in Jersey and absolutely HATE NYC and avoid it as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City