Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,104,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I disagree. After traveling all over the world, I thought I'd see NYC in a different light, but I don't. It's not any lesser of a global city because of these things.
our own VP Biden had said LaGuardia is a third world airport. I had people come from countries that we consider third world who visited NYC and said our subways are disgusting. Its a bit embarrassing as a proud NYer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 AM

969 posts, read 826,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'm getting the same figures as steelers.

Tokyo: 13,617,445 / [844.66 sq mi] = 16,134 per square mile
NYC: 8,500,405 / 304.8 Sq mi = 28,052 per square mile

Numbers are from wikipedia.
These are residential population figures.

To compare the infrastructure burden of both cities, what you probably need are daytime population figures for equivalent areas.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,443,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'd argue that these negative quality of life issues do lessen NYC's status. Between the crumbling infrastructure, garbage, feces on the streets, subway stations, and smells, it's a very unpleasant place to live. I've seen (2) bowel movements in MTA stations in the last 2-3 weeks.
I think you are overstating things. Doesn't bother me. I lived in Sydney for a few years, and NYC beats it in every way. A clean city isn't everything.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,595,652 times
I drive up to Montreal often and its so refreshing to see a CLEAN city! Even their subway system is extremely clean! Granted its nowhere near the size of NYC but its still a busy city nonetheless and the effort to keep it clean really shows.

Even their snow removal process is 10x better than ours! Rather than plowing the snow up against parked cars (which makes absolutely no sense because people have to shovel out and will throw the snow back on to the streets), they have a huge snowblower that dumbs snow into a dump truck as they make their way down the streets.

Canadian snow removal process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmctKriiGKk

Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,817,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So all those people who work in Manhattan who smoke outside their office buildings and throw their cigarette butts on the ground are 'third world lowlifes and domestically grown ghetto scum'? Not to mention the all the weekend partiers who can't seem to find a bathroom/trashcan when it's time to pee or vomit.

I hate to break it to you but all classes of people litter, spit and pee on NYC streets.
During Sandy, people were defecating in the housing authority because they were angry their lights and cable tv were out.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:03 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post

Even their snow removal process is 10x better than ours! Rather than plowing the snow up against parked cars (which makes absolutely no sense because people have to shovel out and will throw the snow back on to the streets), they have a huge snowblower that dumbs snow into a dump truck as they make their way down the streets.

Canadian snow removal process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmctKriiGKk
we have no space to implement that.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:04 AM

18,484 posts, read 31,688,256 times
IS IS DIRTY AND DISGUStng here in ny because nothing is ever maintained.
we have third world people living here that thing this is a third world country.
people in general are slobs and threow littler all over.
my hood of bay parkway and 86th street is one complete pig stut.33
our on and off ramps to highways are litter filled.
our sidewalks and streets are litter fiels,.

we need to pay a little more attention to cleanliness rather than so of this go green type of crap.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 AM

782 posts, read 528,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
From an infrastructure perspective, I don't think London belongs in this list. Otherwise I generally agree with your post.
I could certainly be off on that point as my experiences in London were as a visitor while I live in NYC full-time. I just never felt that London was much different. Traffic was usually bad (there seems to only be one road connecting one side of town to the other, for example from the city centre to the west end) so it seemed to me that the road infrastructure had limitations. The tube was clean and efficient but the downsides were that it didn't seem as extensive and often required me to make multiple transfers for relatively short trips. The nicer areas in London seemed similar to the nicer areas in NYC. Whereas when I ventured outside the business centers and the touristy areas, it would start to feel more "gritty".

I guess I don't know what the really outlying or low-income areas of London are like and perhaps they are in better shape than NYC's. As a visitor, I never had a reason to go to those areas.

Actually, for that matter, I suspect a lot of people commenting on this thread and who say that NYC is much worse than other developed cities haven't actually been to the less-nice areas in those other cities. As tourists or business travelers, there is little reason to visit the "ghettos" or "slums".

Old 08-10-2016, 09:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,506,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think you are overstating things. Doesn't bother me. I lived in Sydney for a few years, and NYC beats it in every way. A clean city isn't everything.
Yeah I really don't care about NYC being filthy, except from a pollition standpoint.

It's not like you have to sleep on the sidewalk.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM

969 posts, read 826,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I could certainly be off on that point as my experiences in London were as a visitor while I live in NYC full-time. I just never felt that London was much different. Traffic was usually bad (there seems to only be one road connecting one side of town to the other, for example from the city centre to the west end) so it seemed to me that the road infrastructure had limitations. The tube was clean and efficient but the downsides were that it didn't seem as extensive and often required me to make multiple transfers for relatively short trips. The nicer areas in London seemed similar to the nicer areas in NYC. Whereas when I ventured outside the business centers and the touristy areas, it would start to feel more "gritty".

I guess I don't know what the really outlying or low-income areas of London are like and perhaps they are in better shape than NYC's. As a visitor, I never had a reason to go to those areas.

Actually, for that matter, I suspect a lot of people commenting on this thread and who say that NYC is much worse than other developed cities haven't actually been to the less-nice areas in those other cities. As tourists or business travelers, there is little reason to visit the "ghettos" or "slums".
I think it depends when you visited. London only recently (I would say as of 2013-2014) began on a huge modernization/regeneration drive, turning large areas of the city core into construction zones. Traffic is still bad though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City