Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Thirteen years ago yesterday (14 August 2013) NYC and a good part of the northeast went dark for about thirty hours. Huge 2003 NYC Blackout Was 13 Years Ago: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,293,610 times
I remember it. I was on the 6 train headed back to the office when it happened and it stopped right before 51st St. I had to walk from there to 28th (where the office was).

I also remember how HOT it was that day. It was in the mid-90s.

Also, the absolute SEA of people at Madison Square Park trying to grab an express bus to get to the Bronx (since the trains weren't running).

Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
I remember it also. Tried to turn on the TV, noticed the display on the stereo and DVD player was blank. Went outside, traffic was jammed everywhere. Guy at the corner shop told me the whole U.S. had no electricity. (!) Downed a tall boy beer just in case it was Armageddon and then spoke to a few other people who informed me that it was the North East and we were still standing. I just walked around enjoying the nice weather, neighbors in my building congregated outside with candles and beach chairs after dark and just hung out. More stars were visible and I went up to the roof with my crazy neighbor Barry to marvel at a dark skyline. Barry later had too much hooch and began yelling in the streets. Fun times in Brooklyn what can I say!

I was off work that day which was a bonus.

Last edited by D. Scott; 08-16-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 06:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
It was two years after 9/11. Everyone was still on edge. When people found out that the entire Northeast had lost power, it was a little unnerving.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:51 AM

282 posts, read 575,678 times
The reason why I now carry a small flashlight with me--have done ever since that day.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I got stuck in a movie theater on Second Ave, missing the end of The Magdalene Sisters. It took me YEARS to find out how the film wound up.
It took 8 hours to get home to Jersey City via a kindly man with a big cigarette boat ferrying about 40 people at a time from the Chelsea Piers direct to Newport. As we arrived home, the lights came on (about 10 PM.)
Of course that was childsplay compared to the mess for some of the City that was the 1977 blackout.

While walking in the unbearable heat of last week, I had flashes of a recurrence. We dodged a bullet.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,930,484 times
I remember it.. I just gave birth and was in NY Downtown Hospital when the lights flickered.. I was so fascinated by the darkness when I stared out the window all night.

My husband, mom and step-dad walked home. We lived in Crown Heights at the time so he said it wasn't too bad. He then drove my mom & stepdad home to Canarsie. I was chillen in the hospital the entire time watching the news. When I was released from the hospital, Lower Manhattan still did not have power. I stayed with my granny a few hours before it got dark, then headed home.

I tell my son every year, his birth caused a black-out!!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,472 times
I worked in a place were we would blow out the fuse and loose power, and we thought oh it happened again. Then later we realized when we saw hordes of people walking in the streets saying, oh its the whole NE that lost power, ooops, this was in the UES. We bought flashlights, being in the streets and at the store felt like this eerie end of the world feeling, it was only two years after 9/11. We headed to the liquor store (everybody else had the same idea, shelves were almost empty) bought a bottle of Johnny Walker and headed downtown. It was still early and Union square was popping with bars open for business. People had their cars blasting music, some were having picnics out in the parks, Pizzerias were selling pies by the pound. When it finally got dark we were in the Village and people were playing music/drums and had those tin barrels lit up with fire (kind of like in those end of the world movies, weird). The city was so dark, the subway stairs looked like black holes in the streets from a distance, it was one of the most intriguing exciting but scary all at once. I had heard about the 77 blackout and never thought I would have experienced it in my lifetime. But yet regular people were directing traffic, regular people were giving other people rides fitting as many people as they could in their delivery vans, cars, buses. People helping the elder and pregnant women to get home, people volunteering to help people stuck in elevators, to me that's America being great...

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 08-16-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 AM

188 posts, read 161,674 times
Lol, My mom, dad, and I were on vacation in Myrtle Beach SC. Left Brooklyn like a day earlier. My Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, and cousins weren't so lucky however....

Old 08-16-2016, 08:42 AM

295 posts, read 281,858 times
We (me, wife, twin infant daughters) were going up to the Catskills and made it through the light under the FDR at 96th street seconds before the power went out and heard Hannity going WTF while we went up the FDR. Fortunately most of the drive was traffic light-free and the power was on up at our place so we missed out on all the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City