Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Every time I see that frozen Goya stuff in the supermarket, I wonder who actually buys them. That's a big no no if you're Latino

Not every Latino is an 80 year old grandma that makes everything from scratch and spends all day in the kitchen, I'm sure plenty are willing to cut corners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not every Latino is an 80 year old grandma that makes everything from scratch and spends all day in the kitchen, I'm sure plenty are willing to cut corners
There is definitely a time saving component. I also think most of that stuff is targeted to people that don't know how to cook or don't like to cook. Most latin carribean food is not particularly hard to make. Take tostones for instance, the whole thing probably takes fifteen minutes but peeling plantains can be a pain. Some people can't even boil an egg though or burn everything they try to cook so I understand their struggle.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-25-2016 at 01:47 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 AM

But back to original post. While plantains are still relatively cheap they have gotten more expensive over the years. I could see some of the crappier to average restaurants cutting corners with their mangu. They might be using less plantains. And there is only so much they could get away with upping the price on mangu. Nobody would pay for it above a certain price.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:22 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Gosh, this thread is making me hungry!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
When people used to make home made sofrito for their rice. Haven't seen that in years. The way my grand parents used to cook a simple plate of rice and beans is so much diferent then today. It is time consuming to do it with fresh beans and to have other condiments.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
When people used to make home made sofrito for their rice. Haven't seen that in years. The way my grand parents used to cook a simple plate of rice and beans is so much diferent then today. It is time consuming to do it with fresh beans and to have other condiments.
Not really it just takes some advanced prep. You can make sofrito in bulk and freeze the stuff, it keeps pretty well for a long time. Dried Beans you just have soak ahead of time but you can also do that a few days ahead. Our folks had their particular way of doing things that they stuck to which many times meant doing everything that same day and using some more old school cooking techniques. But that's part of the whole homemade magic.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-25-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not really it just takes some advanced prep. You can make sofrito in bulk and freeze the stuff, it keeps pretty well for a long time. Dried Beans you just have soak ahead of time but you can also do that a few days ahead. Our folks had their particular way of doing things that they stuck to which many times meant doing everything that same day and using some more old school cooking techniques. But that's part of the whole homemade magic.

Puerto Rican and Dominican food is usually better quality at home then at restaurants when cooked the way our grandparents ate.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Puerto Rican and Dominican food is usually better quality at home then at restaurants when cooked the way our grandparents ate.
Agreed. I usually avoid PR and DR restaurants for that same reason. That and usually when I eat out I want something a little different not the usual stuff I eat at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: