Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times

Advertisements

I've been online looking up the occupancy laws regarding section 8 . On many links it stated the parent has their own bedroom and the children if they are the same sex share a room and if they are different and over the age of 6 they each get their own room.

Im a single mom and I have an 11 year old girl that's hitting puberty and a 9 year old boy. Currently they are sharing a room /bunkbed . It's awkward and not a good situation.

I just called section 8 customer service and they told me it's two heartbeats per room etc. I said okay so the parent is supposed to share the room with the child? How is that okay ? I'd have to share my bed with my tween daughter? How awkward. I also dont think it's fair for anyone to sleep/live in the icky living room (firs floor apartment in nycha it's disgusting and full of creepy crawlies they wont take care of)

Im currently in college and im working part time and I just cant afford a three bedroom on my own in new york city. It's impossible. After taxes/ssi i barely bring home $1500 a month . Three bedrooms are going for $2,000 plus .

I would like for my daughter to have her own bedroom . I would even consider moving out of new york when i finish college in another year and a half to a state where they will give me a three bedroom voucher.

It's highly inappropiate for share a bedroom with your growing children.

Please dont come bashing me for being on assistance . It's tired, it's lame and i dont care about your blanket disdain for people who are on forms of assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Try talking to your housing assistant.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-09-2016, 02:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
I don't know but I bet you will find a way somehow.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaPuffs2016 View Post
I've been online looking up the occupancy laws regarding section 8 . On many links it stated the parent has their own bedroom and the children if they are the same sex share a room and if they are different and over the age of 6 they each get their own room.

Im a single mom and I have an 11 year old girl that's hitting puberty and a 9 year old boy. Currently they are sharing a room /bunkbed . It's awkward and not a good situation.

I just called section 8 customer service and they told me it's two heartbeats per room etc. I said okay so the parent is supposed to share the room with the child? How is that okay ? I'd have to share my bed with my tween daughter? How awkward. I also dont think it's fair for anyone to sleep/live in the icky living room (firs floor apartment in nycha it's disgusting and full of creepy crawlies they wont take care of)

Im currently in college and im working part time and I just cant afford a three bedroom on my own in new york city. It's impossible. After taxes/ssi i barely bring home $1500 a month . Three bedrooms are going for $2,000 plus .

I would like for my daughter to have her own bedroom . I would even consider moving out of new york when i finish college in another year and a half to a state where they will give me a three bedroom voucher.

It's highly inappropiate for share a bedroom with your growing children.

Please dont come bashing me for being on assistance . It's tired, it's lame and i dont care about your blanket disdain for people who are on forms of assistance
Stay where you are, finish college, and get a full time job that enables you to support yourself and your two kids.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:07 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,105 times
Well personally when I wanted a bigger apartment I got a better job, but hey that's just me.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:14 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,988 times
you can ask for a bigger stipend, you may not get it but it doesn't hurt to try. Or you can find a way to swing the extra money yourself.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times

Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
As per Section 8, you would be expected to give each child (since they are different genders) a bedroom, and you would be expected to sleep in the living room.
There is a housing shortage in NYC, and that's how they are approving Section 8 as well as NYCHA (both are subsidized housing).

I have to agree with some of the other posters: even many New Yorkers who are not receiving any subsidized housing, but rather are working, even two parents who work, often live like that - with someone sleeping in the living room. This is New York City after all!

Maybe this is a reality check.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

I have to agree with some of the other posters: even many New Yorkers who are not receiving any subsidized housing, but rather are working, even two parents who work, often live like that - with someone sleeping in the living room. This is New York City after all!
My friend grew up in a 1 bedroom. 4 kids (3 girls and 1 boy) and their mom. Mom took the bedroom. The kids slept in the living room. It's what it was.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:52 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
I hate this country / city sometimes. Please don't be a real post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: