Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM

33 posts, read 59,494 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of an NYC suburb with school bus service that is practical for use? For example, I have seen school bus service on Long Island where the school is a mile and half away and starts at 8 am but the bus pick up is at 7 am. This doesn't make any sense to me and is not what I consider "practical." If your kid has to get on a bus an hour early to go a mile you might as well drive them later and then what is the point of the school bus in the first place? I have also seen suburbs where there is school bus service but you have to live a mile away to get it and the school district is roughly a mile by a mile square. In other words, good luck finding a house in that one corner of the district that gets bus service.

Alternatively, if there are suburbs where the school day starts later maybe that makes things more manageable even if the bus ride isn't quick (i.e., you don't have to wake your kid before the sun comes up just to catch the bus).

Any thoughts? Should I post this in a different forum? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
Hate to break this to you, but all school buses are like that. They are overcrowded and pick up a lot of kids, so unless you are really lucky and you're the last person to be picked up, you'll have to spent a looooot of time going a short distance.

I had to deal with that (in ossining in westchester county), my brother dealt with it, my friends in other school districts dealt with it

Old 11-17-2016, 09:24 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I agree with iammax.

I have no experience with the suburbs, but I arranged a private bus for my daughter in the sixth grade in Manhattan. All the parents sharing the bus with me wanted their kid to be the last one picked up in the morning and the first one dropped off in the afternoon. Obviously, that can't happen. They were constantly trying to redraw the route to their liking. I heard bellyaching all day long. That was an experience!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 AM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I agree with iammax.

I have no experience with the suburbs, but I arranged a private bus for my daughter in the sixth grade in Manhattan. All the parents sharing the bus with me wanted their kid to be the last one picked up in the morning and the first one dropped off in the afternoon. They were constantly trying to redraw the route to their liking. I heard bellyaching all day long.
Hmm, back in my school days the order was fixed. If you were first in the morning (woke up earliest), you were also first in the afternoon (get home first), so it was "balanced".

That was in the suburbs.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I think my experience in Manhattan was different because many streets are one way, and our bus provided door-to-door service. But what I was trying to convey is that the parents were unrealistic about the amount of time their kids would be on the bus.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
That sounds pretty typical. Some districts require students, even kindergarten students, to live 2 miles or more from their school to be eligible for a bus. Lots of people have a stay at home parent or a nanny who drives in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: