Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:46 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times

Advertisements

I know many NYC apartments have heating that can't be individually adjusted by each unit, but instead the building just cranks up the heat to every apartment.

What do you do if you buy an apartment and the heat can't be adjusted and it's boiling hot in the winter?

Is there a solution to this?
How do you live with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:52 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
I usually open the windows because I find the heat unbearably hot in the Winter. The problem is that the second the windows are open it starts getting cold and it's back and forth non stop trying to adjust to the temperature by letting in cold air through the windows and the hot air out the windows. Do you have radiator steam heat? I feel like that is the most brutal.. In years past I was able to screw the radiator valve to make it not heat it up, but that doesn't seem to work anymore, and I am afraid I will cause a pipe to burst if I leave it shut off all the time. (I also have a tropical fish that I can't let it get toooo cold indoors either). If I had to pay for my own heat I would rather just bundle up in a sweater or something in the Winter.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Most buildings have 1 heat riser, then individual radiators in the bedroom, living room. If this is your set up, ask management to remove and cap 1 radiator.

I kept 1 radiator in the bedroom, and it was still too hot. So i stuck with just the heat riser pipe in the bathroom, cracked the window , and leave the bathroom door to heat ghe 1 bedroom. I did have a pre war 1 bedroom.

You can also run a fan, to circulate the dry air in thr apartment during the cold season.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:06 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Leave the window open like everyone else

Old 12-23-2016, 04:59 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
you could pay to install thermostatic valves, basically an air valve you can set a desired temp and get only the heat you want

Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM

The last resort... is you count the days and YOU PRAY FOR SPRING It gets here so soon and then we are freaking out about the oppsosite end of the spectrum. it's weird though, I can totally endure it 80 degrees inside in the Summer, but when it's 80 degree inside in the WINTER I feel like I am being boiled alive against my own will.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:54 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Leave the window open like everyone else
Yeah,I might do that in a rental.

But to buy something and have to do that in my own home? I don't think so.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:14 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yeah,I might do that in a rental.

But to buy something and have to do that in my own home? I don't think so.
If you're buying into an older building, that's what happens.

It's really not a big deal, IMO.

I don't know. I am not as uncomfortable as some people seem to be since I hate the cold. I like not having to wear two or three layers indoors or having to sit around with blankets.

I really only have my window slightly open in the bedroom because I HAVE to sleep with a blanket.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I know many NYC apartments have heating that can't be individually adjusted by each unit, but instead the building just cranks up the heat to every apartment.

What do you do if you buy an apartment and the heat can't be adjusted and it's boiling hot in the winter?

Is there a solution to this?
How do you live with this?
Turn some or all of the radiators completely off. I usually have all of the radiators off in my apartment all winter. I get enough heat from surrounding apartmets and pipes in the kitchen and bathroom.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:42 PM

(i think someone is just bragging that they bought an apartment to be honest) just the psychic energy i am getting now in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City