Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM

4,786 posts, read 6,607,582 times

Advertisements

You said you don't want to deal with this, but you kind of have to.

Unfortunately, housing is so tight in New York City that many people find themselves in your situation.

Here's the link to a tenants forum, if you want to either post something or do a search.

TenantNet Forum • Index page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,928 times
Sue you? Are you serious? People throw that term around constantly with no concept of what it means. First, how can she sue you, as you don't own the property? Second, how is a struggling grad student going to sue anyone? Do you know what a lawsuit costs, in time and money? Since the LL has created the illegal arrangement, you could team up and sue him/her. But don't. I think you have some pretty serious roommate issues. To get through the lease and your academic term, you could, as you suggested, take the windowless room. Or you could, and really you should have done this from the beginning, let her pay less rent for her less-desirable, windowless room. That's a pretty standard arrangement in a shared apartment. She left the apt. in deplorable condition when she left for the holidays -- it was probably some passive-aggressive action against you. You need to talk about that with her in a calm way. That can't happen again. She's definitely not stable (the crazy text to you? the fork in the window? the dreams? you're living with a mini-psycho), but try to create a co-existence so that you can get through the next 7 months. Then find a better living situation. You might be better off in an NYU grad dorm if your studies continue into next year.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,143,243 times
<Have two means of egress; whether egress is via window or a door>

??? My bedroom has a door to the rest of the apartment and two windows with a 160 foot drop to the courtyard below. Is that lover's leap a means of egress or does my bedroom not exist as a bedroom? Or is your definition of a bedroom lacking in meaning?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 AM

i was also surprised by the "two means of egress" requirement. I live on the tenth floor, and there's no way I'm going out that window unless there's a cute fireman out there on a very tall ladder to bring me down.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:58 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,252,084 times
You are an adult attending school time to stop whining and be an adult. You got yourself in this situation you can't just run away and say I don't want to deal with it. You HAVE to deal with it
Also stop with the pettiness. When you live with a roommate, you share thing whether you are they or not. Gas is like $20 a month so your really gonna try to start drama over that? I lived with a roommate once and traveled for work the whole month I couldn't say to my roommate I don't think I should pay for anything cause I'm not here. I paid half my rent, con ed, cable, household budget etc like normal. Some people just aren't meant to live with others and you may be one of them.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,862,202 times
I live on the ground floor and both of my bedroom windows are welded and bolted shut with bars, does that still count as a means of egress?!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM

No. You're supposed to have FDNY approved gates on those windows. Only gates that can be opened from the inside without a key are legal for fire escape windows or ground-floor egress windows.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 13,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You are an adult attending school time to stop whining and be an adult. You got yourself in this situation you can't just run away and say I don't want to deal with it. You HAVE to deal with it
Also stop with the pettiness. When you live with a roommate, you share thing whether you are they or not. Gas is like $20 a month so your really gonna try to start drama over that? I lived with a roommate once and traveled for work the whole month I couldn't say to my roommate I don't think I should pay for anything cause I'm not here. I paid half my rent, con ed, cable, household budget etc like normal. Some people just aren't meant to live with others and you may be one of them.
I've had plenty of roommates. This is just the first that has been like this. I've just found out that her previous roommate had similar issues with her, using parents and bad dreams as excuses and doing weird things. I'm not sure if this also deals with a different cultural background. And gas for me was also around $20 for the first 1-2 months. Later it just jumped to b/w $60-70. Everything is split in half either way. It was probably due to her "baking parties." (She said 2 friends. Came out as 10 in our tiny apt.)

P.S: (Found my plate broken hidden under a stack in the cupboard. Don't know how long that had been)

Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 13,311 times
And thanks everyone for the replies. I just have a lot of boxes to carry around and trying to figure things out including a health condition thats getting worse. Dr. said I'm not doing myself any favors atm. My parents and guarantor are being too harsh about all of this and I don't want to go to their limits of fixing this. I'm going to take this step by step in a good manner. If her parents accuse me of abuse again, I'm simply going to say I am not abusing her. Period.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,928 times
Your situation sounds very stressful. Try to have a talk with her. Maybe invite her out for a light meal to work things out in a relaxed way. Maybe even work in a movie. Don't worry about the broken plate, forget about the higher gas charges (just try to write this stuff off). Just focus on getting through the next few months. Maybe you should look into moving into a graduate dorm -- a single room -- for this winter semester, if that option is available. You might want to consult with the housing office next week. It's just a suggestion if you don't think you can work things out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: