Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 09:32 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times

Advertisements

That is low. I am shooting for $250 but $200 would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 02:47 PM

5,831 posts, read 2,955,519 times
90% organic food, wife cooks once a week for the whole week for us and our 4 year old.
Its usually $125 a week including two small dogs.

Id say the fridge is mostly empty and I dont know what the hell we eat. Between veggie smoothies and occasional Gyro or salad order... Id say $500-600 a month.

It does not Help that Peter Luger steak house is 5 miles away.
Capital Grille is 1 mile away and then we have Five guys, Shake Shack and a bunch of other places around.

But I am very set on making salads very often. I love salads.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:56 PM

I just cooked for the week. I made lamb, chicken and fish. I am pooped. I am going to stick to chicken and tuna fish. Too much work.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:10 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I just cooked for the week. I made lamb, chicken and fish. I am pooped. I am going to stick to chicken and tuna fish. Too much work.
Why don't you make things that are less tedious? We had rice and lentils with carrots, butternut squash and some fresh herbs and it was delicious. Lasted us for several days. We do things like BLTs or simple sandwiches. I get organic bacon, organic wheat bread, organic mayo, organic spinach or arugula (lettuce is boring) and then have that as a light dinner. We keep the bacon to just a few slices (and cook it in the oven - less work) and load up on the organic spinach and tomatoes. We do a lot of roasting of organic veggies because it's easy and doesn't require much prep and clean up is fast. Organic fruit is great also. I usually get organic raspberries, blackberries or blueberries, along with local organic honey crisp apples. Organic avocado toast is another of my favs. Buy some organic wheat bread, good Greek or Italian evoo, Italian sea salt and organic black pepper and you have a nice light meal right there. I eat that sometimes in the summer. Takes me all of 5 minutes to make it.

We really believe in organic food because you don't have to fuss with it much. Simple seasonings and simple meals can be made quickly. It's all about the quality of the ingredients.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 02-05-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM

I will not do this again. The BLT is a good idea. I also like the idea of rice, beans and veggies.

What is the true benefit of eating organic food?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I will not do this again. The BLT is a good idea. I also like the idea of rice, beans and veggies.

What is the true benefit of eating organic food?
Well for us taste is one thing. I gave up fast food years ago and rarely eat it. That includes Subway. So called "healthy food" that is loaded with preservatives and other garbage. After getting violently ill years ago from a Subway sandwich (a veggie burger with spinach and the like) I haven't eaten there ever since. It was my guilt food... I do however eat out at organic places. I see no reason why you can't eat out at least once a week. Make one day a treat.

The notion that organic food is more expensive is just that. If you shop around and stick to store brands you can do just fine. For example, we shop at Whole Foods, but we also shop at Target and get their organic store brand for some items. Aldi's also is fine for some organic products that are produced here. Remember you're only shopping for yourself so you don't need that much food.

You can also save a ton on drinks. We basically just drink seltzer or bottled water but use regular sized glasses to monitor portion sizes. One seltzer water can last me at least a few days. Sugary drinks are a treat and usually consist of organic tea. We're both suckers for the brand "Honest Tea". But yeah the key thing is portion sizes. Don't overbuy unless you know you're going to use all of it, and don't make more than what you plan to eat. You'll save nicely that way. We also shop online for some items to keep things reasonable. I do drink beer, and wine, but I've drank enough of that in my time. It can be a treat to have those expensive items, plus both of them put on unwanted calories.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
I agree but I already have money allocated for that.
So allocate MORE.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

431 posts, read 660,268 times
$400 a month. All organic food.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 AM

782 posts, read 527,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

The notion that organic food is more expensive is just that. If you shop around and stick to store brands you can do just fine. For example, we shop at Whole Foods, but we also shop at Target and get their organic store brand for some items. Aldi's also is fine for some organic products that are produced here. Remember you're only shopping for yourself so you don't need that much food.
No, organic food is more expensive than non-organic food. It's because there are higher costs associated with producing organic food.

You're talking about how private label brands cost less than name brands and that's true. But compare private label organic with private label non-organic.

To the OP, organic vs. non-organic is a personal choice. You can try it out and see if it makes a difference to you. I personally find no major difference in taste. What's more important is to buy seasonal when possible. Produce in season costs less and tastes better. It's also preferable to buy local. Local means the produce is more fresh and didn't have to travel long distances and go through potentially convoluted supply chains to get to your local market. That's my experience anyway. There are some people who prefer to buy organic mainly because they feel more comfortable with how the food was produced and treated. I understand but realize you do pay a premium for that.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
No, organic food is more expensive than non-organic food. It's because there are higher costs associated with producing organic food.

You're talking about how private label brands cost less than name brands and that's true. But compare private label organic with private label non-organic.

To the OP, organic vs. non-organic is a personal choice. You can try it out and see if it makes a difference to you. I personally find no major difference in taste. What's more important is to buy seasonal when possible. Produce in season costs less and tastes better. It's also preferable to buy local. Local means the produce is more fresh and didn't have to travel long distances and go through potentially convoluted supply chains to get to your local market. That's my experience anyway. There are some people who prefer to buy organic mainly because they feel more comfortable with how the food was produced and treated. I understand but realize you do pay a premium for that.
Yes, but that also depends on where you shop. Organic may be more expensive in some cases, but there are plenty of supermarkets that overcharge for non-organic items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City