Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 AM

124 posts, read 190,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
As I mentioned a few months ago, I've started buying a lot from Walmart.com, even for basic household goods like toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...residents.html

Walmart.com & Amazom.com prices are better than Manhattan retail prices, and online shopping is more convenient.

Some brick & mortar stores will go away, but their spaces will be taken up by new ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Yeah, right.
How many ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms can there be in one city??
There are already 2 nail salons per block. They only survive because of the asian culture of nonstop work and "family business, all living in the same apartment".
In Manhattan, most empty retail spaces get filled up pretty quickly. If a retail space isn't filled by ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms, etc, then a new business will fill the spot with a new idea. In my area, I've seen a variety of dog washing, dog daycare, pet spa type businesses. There's even some new cat cafes, where you drink coffee with cats.

I don't know about the rest of NYC. But in general, the market will adapt. If empty retail spaces are staying empty, then the market rents will come down, until a business snaps it up.

This only fails in dying cities (like Detroit). For world class cities - like NYC & London - retail spaces will be filled.

Last edited by normaldude; 01-27-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
[URL]http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170123/RETAIL_APPAREL/170129978/amazon-and-high-rents-are-killing-new-york-city-retailers-like-laytners-linen-home-leaving-industry-watchers-to-wonder-when-the-carnage-will-end[/URL]

So Amazon and internet retailing is slaughtering NYC retailers. Macy's isn't doing well, and is closing stores. So I think some large malls going out of business and get converted to housing for the homeless like some hotels are. Oh and commercial rents are going down.

Basically large cities like NYC, LA, SF went a bit overboard board with their development, but technological innovation found ways to cut out overpriced stores and businesses and ultimately rents.

Many NYC brick and mortar shops sell on Amazon as third party merchants. Bought off of at least 12 of them before the holidays. Of course, they don't have the 2 day shipping speed from their end, so I always order early.

My beef? - The Long Island Frum merchants on Amazon - SUPER SLOW shipping. Every.single.time.
Have to contact the Frum stores 90% of the time to find out "whatsup". Always a myriad of excuses when contacted. Plenty of attitude when you ask expected delivery and for the tracking number.

I'm about an hour away from Brooklyn and want to give NYC Mom and Pop Amazon stores some business.....but they have to step up to the plate and fulfill and ship orders within a reasonable time frame. The items are listed as in stock and ready to go. Then the order sits until cousin Moshe packs my light bulbs---12 days after placing order.....only because I contacted them. Preposterous.

Is this normal? Someone enlighten me, please.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
As I mentioned a few months ago, I've started buying a lot from Walmart.com, even for basic household goods like toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...residents.html

Walmart.com & Amazom.com prices are better than Manhattan retail prices, and online shopping is more convenient.

Some brick & mortar stores will go away, but their spaces will be taken up by new ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms, etc.
I used to buy clothes from WalMart.com, but Amazon got much better with their clothing selection. Plus with Amazon Prime I get free shipping, free music downloads, and free film and tv.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:54 AM

346 posts, read 383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plus with Amazon Prime I get free shipping, free music downloads, and free film and tv.
I love Amazon Prime for the quick delivery, movies and music. If you listen to a lot of music at home check out an Echo. You can get radio stations from all over and you can listen to songs saved into your library as well. Also the new music unlimited from Amazon is much better than Prime. It will cost you $80 a year but for somebody who listens to a lot of music it is well worth it. 10's of millions of songs to listen to and download.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
I love Amazon Prime for the quick delivery, movies and music. If you listen to a lot of music at home check out an Echo. You can get radio stations from all over and you can listen to songs saved into your library as well. Also the new music unlimited from Amazon is much better than Prime. It will cost you $80 a year but for somebody who listens to a lot of music it is well worth it. 10's of millions of songs to listen to and download.
I subscribe to Apple for Unlimited Music. Tried it out and just forgot to cancel the subscription after two weeks. But kept it and didn't mind.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:13 PM

224 posts, read 134,322 times
The inherent vice with Amazon and the Internet is that from an economic perspective it really hurts the poor and middle class. Lack of jobs translates into a majority with very little spending power. So when working people who are already struggling with the one job can't get that part-time job at Macy's or the defunct Daffy's b/c they're all shuttering due to Amazon, the permanent underclass continues to grow. I like online shopping for its convenience and low prices. But sometimes I just deal with the slightly higher prices and go shop at the brick and mortar stores b/c I know my business keeps them going and it helps to keep working class people working. I wish more people would consider this when they shop for every $^*#ing thing online.

Whenever I return to NYC and go around my old neighborhood in Queens and visit old coworkers in the financial district and I see nothing but the huge commercial conglomerates like Starbucks on every corner, I quickly realize why I don't miss NYC anymore b/c what I don't see much commercial difference between NYC and Houston. And in reality, I actually see more small businesses here in Houston which is really amazing. I'm not fan of Texas by any stretch...I'm a diehard Queens boy to the end. But Amazon and other online retailers are killing small businesses and large commercial fronts alike. And it's a damn shame!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Not a surprise Amazon stock is killing it.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 AM

108 posts, read 81,614 times
Retailers like Target seems to be doing fine, for now.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
The inherent vice with Amazon and the Internet is that from an economic perspective it really hurts the poor and middle class. Lack of jobs translates into a majority with very little spending power. So when working people who are already struggling with the one job can't get that part-time job at Macy's or the defunct Daffy's b/c they're all shuttering due to Amazon, the permanent underclass continues to grow. I like online shopping for its convenience and low prices. But sometimes I just deal with the slightly higher prices and go shop at the brick and mortar stores b/c I know my business keeps them going and it helps to keep working class people working. I wish more people would consider this when they shop for every $^*#ing thing online.

Whenever I return to NYC and go around my old neighborhood in Queens and visit old coworkers in the financial district and I see nothing but the huge commercial conglomerates like Starbucks on every corner, I quickly realize why I don't miss NYC anymore b/c what I don't see much commercial difference between NYC and Houston. And in reality, I actually see more small businesses here in Houston which is really amazing. I'm not fan of Texas by any stretch...I'm a diehard Queens boy to the end. But Amazon and other online retailers are killing small businesses and large commercial fronts alike. And it's a damn shame!
Complete and utter BS.

I would never shop at a store to keep the employees employed. It doesn't matter what merchant you buy from. There are people involved in the production of the item you're buying, and it had to be shipped to Amazon. Then of course Amazon has to ship the item to the customer. There are lots of employees at Amazon, and at the carrier services they use (Fedex, UPS, Postal Service). Amazon is now buying it's own airplanes and hiring it's own employees to directly drive orders to one's house.

I titled this thread Amazon killing merchants, but the reality is the consumer is voting with their dollar. NYC landlords raised rents to ridiculous prices, and that's one factor in the wiping out of many NYC merchants. Price. Bottom line is NYC needs to find ways to lower costs, and if it's high taxes pushing prices so high then the city itself needs to lower costs. If not people will just find ways of migrating their money to merchants that offer products and services at reasonable prices. The marketplace works.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Best summation one had read to date on the matter:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ck-dont-buy-it

Retail as historically known not just in NYC but elsewhere is dying a slow and painful death. Brick and mortar retail locations will of course continue to exist, there just will not be as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: