Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfPug View Post
I thought 181 was Hudson Heights?
Not all of it. Stick to the west of the subway. The further west the better. I would also try to avoid getting anything on 181st street. Too loud. The real pain IMO will be those hills. I remember walking around up there after coming from some event and they are no fun. Can't imagine dealing with that every day to get to and from the subway. The further west you live, the more walking up the hill you will have to do to reach that subway. The advantage in Inwood is that there is a bus that runs on Broadway that your girlfriend could take to reach Downtown.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-31-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 18,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not all of it. Stick to the west of subway. The further west the better. And I would also try to avoid getting anything on 181st street. Too loud. The real pain IMO will be those hills. I remember walking around up there after coming from some event and they are no fun. Can't imagine dealing with that every day to get to and from the subway. The further west you live, the more walking up the hill you will have to do to reach that subway. The advantage in Inwood is that there is a bus that runs on Broadway that your girlfriend could take to reach Downtown.
The place we're looking at is 181st on Pinehurst. It's a block past Ft Washington so I'm hoping the noise is ok.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
The place we're looking at is 181st on Pinehurst. It's a block past Ft Washington so I'm hoping the noise is ok.
That area is pretty chill. Lots of restaurants and a Starbucks on Ft Washington 181st. You also have the A train on 181 ft Washington.

I live on 179 st btwn Broadway and ft Washington. You also have the renovation on the GWB Mercado that will finish hopefully this year.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
That area is pretty chill. Lots of restaurants and a Starbucks on Ft Washington 181st. You also have the A train on 181 ft Washington.

I live on 179 st btwn Broadway and ft Washington. You also have the renovation on the GWB Mercado that will finish hopefully this year.
Well you could go walk around up there and see now but it won't be anything like the summertime. That's when I was up there. Definitely a lot of foot traffic, though I didn't feel unsafe walking up there, but every eye was on me. They thought I was Dominican fresh off of the boat from the capital.

What's your definition of chill? Just the traffic alone will be loud enough.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Definitely will be walking around. But insight from residents is always great since you don't know how an area really is until being there every day for a long time.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM

481 posts, read 427,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
I live a couple blocks from here - it's very safe. North of 181st is better, but even the south side is ok. 181st can be loud with a good amount of traffic, so facing away from it would be best. There are a lot of people in the arts who live around here, even some famous people who we see walking around quite often (Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Linn-Baker, Ethan Phillips). We like living here, although there are two things I think Inwood has going for it over where I live. 1) More restaurant choices. There are many more to choose from and new proprietors seem to be choosing Inwood over Wash Hts due to lower rents. 2) An easier morning rush-hour commute. Any stops north of 181st you're pretty much going to be able to get a seat on the A train. By the time it gets to 181st, there aren't many left. By the time you get down to 168th or 145th, it's so crowded your face will most likely be in someone's armpit for the rest of your ride. It's the one thing I hate about living up here.
I have a buddy a couple of blocks up from the subway right at the north end of the playground. It's a beautiful little nook with decent amenities right there on the hill (grocery stores, pharmacy, cafes). And over on Cabrini where another friend lived, you could hear a pin drop at night. Rent is more expensive up there than in Inwood though.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Definitely will be walking around. But insight from residents is always great since you don't know how an area really is until being there every day for a long time.
The one question you haven't answered is are you used to living in a hilly area and will your girlfriend be fine walking back and forth up said hills to get to the subway? You mentioned Inwood which has its own hills, but the area you're talking about is VERY hilly. PITA.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The one question you haven't answered is are you used to living in a hilly area and will your girlfriend be fine walking back and forth up said hills to get to the subway? You mentioned Inwood which has its own hills, but the area you're talking about is VERY hilly. PITA.
I mean it's one block from the A express line, so I think we'll have to suck it up

Old 01-31-2017, 03:36 PM

43 posts, read 100,466 times
I am Dominican. I grew up in Washington Heights during the 1980's drug era. Seen shoot outs and innocent bystanders getting killed in the cross fire. That area is not nearly as bad as it used to be. There are a lot of drug dealers but like someone else mentioned they don't really mess with anyone. One thing is also true, people look out for each other and there isn't really much violence as far as assaults, rapes or murders. It is much worse in other neighborhoods.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM

88 posts, read 84,763 times
over by vermilyea there is a really ****ty area with lots of drug dealers, but the area is not unsafe, just annoying as ****... they will drive you crazy but not rob or hurt you... however it's gentrifying fast and if you have a good deal, stick around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City