Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

What has he done to New York City and airport industry? Nothing! Change the name back to Idleswind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
The timing was critical. What was Idlewild Airport was just turning into a major international airport when Kennedy was assasinated. Probably seemed the natural thing to do at the time.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropp1988 View Post
What has he done to New York City and airport industry? Nothing! Change the name back to Idleswind
Thats not happening...and it's not Idleswind, its Idlewild...just saying

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:

At the time it was a very popular move. My parents who were Republicans and my mom an Irish Protestant - loved the Kennedy family. My dad was an immigrant from Sweden who came through Ellis Island at age 11.

Kennedy was and is beloved by most NYers. Catholic, Jewish and Protestant alike.

NYC has a history of welcoming immigrants - weather from other countries or from small towns in states where they are not welcome. Kennedy himself was the recipient of some nasty scrutiny when he ran for office because he was a Roman Catholic and not a rural WASP.

Pres. Kennedy's philosophy and personal background embodies the open minds and hearts that have been the hallmark of NYC culture.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 PM

368 posts, read 391,733 times
Quote:
Considering that you did not even know what the old name was (for heaven's sake -- "Idleswind"?? Are you kidding???), you seem like the last person who should be making this suggestion. For my part, I have lived in Queens my whole life; I am old enough to remember the airport as "Idlewild"; and I am no fan of JFK. Nevertheless, I still think you are a buffoon for that ridiculous, idiotic, ignorant "Idleswind" suggestion.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:14 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
...and besides, its name was actually New York International Airport.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Considering that you did not even know what the old name was (for heaven's sake -- "Idleswind"?? Are you kidding???), you seem like the last person who should be making this suggestion. For my part, I have lived in Queens my whole life; I am old enough to remember the airport as "Idlewild"; and I am no fan of JFK. Nevertheless, I still think you are a buffoon for that ridiculous, idiotic, ignorant "Idleswind" suggestion.
Why do some people here get so worked up about a misspelling? It happens to everybody. Autocorrect messes me up all the time. I could be typing something correctly but because it doesn't recognizes it either because it's a name or it's not in the database it changes my correct spelling for something else.

Ridiculous that you would go on a name-calling tirade over someone making a suggestion. One that has no chance of happening btw. Are you really that personally insulted because of a post about JFK airport that will have no effect on anyone whatsoever?

Did someone made you the city-data forum nazi monitor or something? You might have issues.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Idleswind, Idleswind, Idleswind!!!

(Hey, it has a ring to it...)

Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
They should name it NYC International Fawking Airport.

Or Tidday International Airport with big hooters are the logo. And a different tidday on each day.

I like big ol tiddays!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
They should name it NYC International Fawking Airport.

Or Tidday International Airport with big hooters are the logo. And a different tidday on each day.

I like big ol tiddays!
I. Just. Can't.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: