Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Hello NY Folks,
I was just curious about what section 8 in NY is? Is it a federal, state, or local program...I'm supposing that a middle-class person from Texas who tried to get set up in NYC(Considerably more expensive) wouldn't be eligible for that...hopefully there is a way for people from the South and Midwest to make it in more expensive areas...why would the City of New York not pay their workers proportional to the cost of living?
I could be wrong...but I don't think "middle-class" people would qualify for it. Don't you have to be "lower-class" to get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM

171 posts, read 692,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I could be wrong...but I don't think "middle-class" people would qualify for it. Don't you have to be "lower-class" to get it?
Yes middle class people can get it. It depends on the cost of living and how much you make. I work and my hubby works and we still get it. Besides, not to many people fit into the "middle class" status.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM

278 posts, read 1,520,077 times
I own a multi-family in Brooklyn, NY. I've never rented to a section 8 tenant. However, I have many friends who rent to working and non-working section 8. All of my friends have experienced more bad section 8 tenants than good. At least 1 out of 10 section 8 tenants were good. All of the others didn't pay their portion of the rent, vandalized the building, sublet rooms of the apartments, didn't renew their section 8 and was cancelled from the program leaving my friends with no money at all. Most of them didn't monitor the children who hung out in the hallways causing problems for the good tenant(s). Two of them moved in drug dealers. Most of the ones who didn't work played music late at night and had people entering and leaving the apartment all times of the day and night.

What can I say.....I can only speak from the experience of my friends.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha43055 View Post
Yes middle class people can get it. It depends on the cost of living and how much you make. I work and my hubby works and we still get it. Besides, not to many people fit into the "middle class" status.
but why can't I get it then? I barely make any money...

Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM

278 posts, read 1,520,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPeterson View Post
I cant believe that. So you are telling me that people who get a free ride dont appreciate it and take advantage. This is news to me maybe this is why communism didnt work in russia and eastern europe. Maybe someone should tell our president this.
Not all of the section 8 tenants did this...just most. Remember I am only speaking from what I've seen. Maybe someone on this board has a majority of good section 8 tenants? I don't know.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,253 times
I feel that Mead is being completely insensitive....My mother has section 8 and I feel we have the right to a decent neighborhood, no one deserves to live in an area that is unsafe. I understand that taxpayer's money is going to the cause but no one deserves to live in a unsafe and hazardous. I am a college honor student working two jobs trying to ensure that I will never take section 8 and I come home to an area where I have to fight for my life everyday now that is UNFAIR!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbedmarie View Post
I feel that Mead is being completely insensitive....My mother has section 8 and I feel we have the right to a decent neighborhood, no one deserves to live in an area that is unsafe. I understand that taxpayer's money is going to the cause but no one deserves to live in a unsafe and hazardous. I am a college honor student working two jobs trying to ensure that I will never take section 8 and I come home to an area where I have to fight for my life everyday now that is UNFAIR!

OK...so what kind of people in your opinion create unsafe conditions in your neighborhood?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
new york craigslist, villige voice, cityrealty, and section8ny.com.... Hope this can help you....

Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,097 times
I do have a 3bed room 2 bath in north east bronx for rent may i call you to give you more details? Whats your #

Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I do feel bad for people who have fallen on hard times and sometimes, yes, they do need help getting back on their feet. For these people, I actually feel terrible that they have to live in a Section 8 type of arrangement, because the MAJORITY of section 8 renters are bad news. I know that personally, if I was a landlord, I would not accept a section 8 renter, simply because I have seen the problems that they bring.

I live down the block from three section 8 houses/buildings on Staten Island. Trust me when I tell you, there are nothing but problems in those houses. The cops are always there, there are always people hanging outside, day and night, with no purpose in life other than to start trouble. Either they are selling drugs, using them, or both. Actually, a few years ago, one of the buildings burned down because one of the "tenants" left a lit crack pipe on the bed. Of course, since then, the building has been restored and more weirdos have moved in causing problems. If it wasn't for these houses, my neighborhood would be much nicer. Thankfully, I am moving out of there soon.

I agree with whoever said that if you need to go on such a program, you are probably better off not being in NYC, they options in other places are probably nicer/safter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City