Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LGA is in a terrible place to begin with, it is all residential all around.
It was built as a small airpoty for LGA himself for his planes and small planes with 50 passengers or less, it wasnt meant to do what it does today............and people wonder why there is so much congestion and lateness....
hello, when you have over 1500 planes landing a day, and 1500 planes taking off a day, chances are there is going to be congestion.

Keep Rikers and get rid of LGA. Rikers is quieter.
You don't belong in NYC if you can't deal with air traffic, and no one forced you to move to NYC from Greece. You're free to move back if you need quietness . Some of those islands in the Mediterranean are real peaceful I here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
Doubt that will happen.

If I'd does it can be turned into affordable housing lotto. Each cell for only $585 a month! I can feel my log number it's going to be 55!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Doubt that will happen.

If I'd does it can be turned into affordable housing lotto. Each cell for only $585 a month! I can feel my log number it's going to be 55!
Far fewer people are being arrested.

NYC to close notorious Rikers jail complex

Would they put housing there? Yes, that could happen, but they would need a public transportation connection with the rest of the city like Roosevelt Island. For all we know developers have first dibs. Maybe the Trump organization will build housing there.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Rikers Island should be turned into a college campus and for affordable housing options. Also build a new bridge that connects the area to Queens. But remember Rikers Island is part of the Bronx.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,843 times
Who would live near Rikers' Island?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Rikers Island should be turned into a college campus and for affordable housing options. Also build a new bridge that connects the area to Queens. But remember Rikers Island is part of the Bronx.
What college would want to take over this space? Maybe Lehman? Cornell, Columbia, and NYU have had big expansions in NYC. If they were to give Rikers over to a college, this one could be given over to a CUNY.

NYU got the MTA headquarters, but that was close to the downtown Brooklyn part of NYC. Columbia did it's big expansion in Upper Manhattan. And Roosevelt Island is right across the river from Cornell Medical, that's why Cornell put their grad school of science and engineering school there. The two Ivies and NYU haven't finished expanding on what they already have, so they should not get Rikers.

And CUNY doesn't really have the money to build a new campus on Rikers, not without an outside private university partner.

I think letting LGA use Rikers is a much better option than giving it to a college, given the transportation needs of the city. Or even build housing there.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:22 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is a *plan* that mayor de Boob has gotten behind, using his mouth to pre-empt an announcement by former NYS chief judge Lippmann who headed a commission on this issue.

It is by no means a "done" deal and already Staten Island's borough president has made it clear that borough wants nothing to do with a local lock-up. One assumes that will be the case elsewhere as well.

The whole stunt by Bill de Boob is of course an obvious election year related ploy to get out in front of an issue and take credit.

New York City to close Rikers Island | New York Post
Yeah, I can't see how this could actually be accomplished. Way too much opposition from too many different groups and way too many moving parts will sink this pretty easily.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Yeah, I can't see how this could actually be accomplished. Way too much opposition from too many different groups and way too many moving parts will sink this pretty easily.
All the mental hospitals on Roosevelt Island are closed. Stop and Frisk is ended. Weed is decriminalized and partially legal. The era of mass incarceration is over.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All the mental hospitals on Roosevelt Island are closed. Stop and Frisk is ended. Weed is decriminalized and partially legal. The era of mass incarceration is over.
It's only legalized in certain states and it's not legal at the federal level. There also have been talks of a return to stop and frisk. I think your somewhat overzealous here.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
NYC is running out of real estate. I can see them breaking ground in Central Park in 20 years or so.
Does NYC truly need all 400 acres of CP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City