Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,429 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm having a hard time deciding on where to live. I am a native Queensite looking to switch neighborhoods because my current apartment is too small for me, my boyfriend is moving in, and I don't like that things seem to be getting more congested/dirty around here. I work in Midtown (West 52nd betwen 5th and 6th) and currently commute which takes about an hour each way, sometimes more. It's such a shlep having to switch from bus to train every morning. Because I'm seriously thinking about moving, I am wondering if it's worth it just to go to Manhattan and get it over with rather than stay in Queens.

Reasons I am considering Manhattan:
The commute takes so much time out of my day and I am tired after work! If I lived closer to work maybe I could get back that time and actually enjoy the city.

There are so many more things to do and see in Manhattan.

There is a wonderful choice of beautiful housing.

Relative safety.

Ease of transportation and access to literally anything I want.

Manhattan is exciting.

Reasons I am considering Queens:
I love Forest Park. In Manhattan you can go days without seeing any nature, but in Queens you can see trees every day on your walk to the train.

It's relatively quiet.

Diverse neighborhoods with neighbors who look and sound different from me.

Familiarity.

"Small town" vibe in a big city.

It's cheaper than Manhattan and I would like to buy in a few years.

As far as Manhattan goes, I like any neighborhood below 108th street (and I'd even consider Washington Heights, Inwood and Hudson Heights in some areas). I particularly like Carnegie Hill and the UES but it's probably not the most convenient.

When it comes to Queens, I have always loved Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, especially the area near Forest Park and Metropolitan avenue.

I like a quiet neighborhood or "enclave" that isn't far from the action, a little bit of green space (doesn't have to be an entire park), a "neighborhood" feel and lots of activities to do. I am looking for a safe place to live that maybe isn't overrun with tourists but also allows me to skip out of my door and find something to do.

My budget is max 3k for a one bedroom. What neighborhood is right for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
If you think Queens is dirty, most of Manhattan is too. Stay in Queens and get something in Forest Hills. You can take the express bus or the LIRR in.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Omg no... haha. Not all of Queens, just where I am from. It's becoming gross. A little dirt adds character, but when you have people hocking loogies and throwing trash on the street it makes you want to scream. That and tearing down beautiful old single family homes and erecting brick and steel monstrosities for 8 families at a time in them.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
You want to consider sunny side north of q blvd, or jackson heights/ east elmhurst between 69 th to 82 nd street.

I would suggest north of northern blvd , close to 75 st, or 82 street for quick bus to 74 th street.

A 2 to 3 brm, in a 3 family brick row house (fedders type) are big and can be had for $2200-2500 per month.

You can also rent in one of the co ops. And walk 2-3 blocks for the train.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:59 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!

Let me then parlay that into my next question:

For those of you who have lived in BOTH Manhattan and Queens, what did you like better?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:24 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Try the Upper West Side, especially a park block near Central Park, south of 100th st (108th and CPW is still a bit iffy IMO) where you can probably still get a 1 bedroom in your price range, just from a cursory look at the listings. It will most likely be a brownstone, but there are a few elevator buildings in the neighborhood that are not super expensive condos yet. Those blocks between CPW and Amsterdam have, obviously, easy access to Central Park for nature, Amsterdam and Columbus Ave for shopping, and the 1 line at Broadway, which stops at 50th st, or the B on CPW, which stops at 7th and 53rd. (And buses on every north/south avenue). It is a safe part of the city.

Choose one of the park blocks off of Riverside Drive, I'd looks as far north as Columbia. You'll do most of your shopping on Broadway, still have quick access to the No.1, which runs quite regularly. And Riverside Park is spectacular.

In either, you'll generally find a good neighborly vibe. There are a lot of block associations on the UWS. It's not quite like small town where everybody knows your business, but more like one where your face will become familiar -- and welcomed-- by neighbors and area shopkeepers.

Its no secret that the area is less diverse than it was since the yuppification of the UWS began a generation ago. But less diverse doesn't mean no diversity at all. You'll still see every type of person you can imagine, black, orthodox Jewish, Dominican, the homeless, the celebrities, Asians, Middle easterners, a lot of mixed-race couples, and on and on. (Just check out the ethnic restaurants!).

Take a look. You might like it.

EDIT: And FWIW, I've never lived in Queens.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
With your budget and where you're working you can easily live anywhere from 23st-168st on the west side.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvocadoAficionado View Post
Reasons I am considering Manhattan:
The commute takes so much time out of my day and I am tired after work! If I lived closer to work maybe I could get back that time and actually enjoy the city.

My budget is max 3k for a one bedroom. What neighborhood is right for me?
This is the best thing about living on the Island. Even though a commute may be reasonable, the one day there is a problem on the subway or it snows the benefit of being close to home makes it so much easier.

Two suggestions that get the character thing, London Terrace and Tudor City. For 3K you're looking at a large studio in London Terrace and a one bedroom in Tudor City. They're basically on opposite ends of midtown but give you that enclave feeling.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 PM

I loooooooooooove Tudor City! Totally forgot about it. Thank you for jogging my memory.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Queens- cheaper, less busy, less crazyiness

Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Kew Gardens, Ridgewood, Middle Village, Astoria etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City