Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,160,895 times

Advertisements

I did live on york avenue in the 70s, great area, but it was a long walk for the subway! Full service building , and amenities.

Areas near the 74th street/ roosevelt ave subway station, gets you to 49th and 6th ave in 20 minutes. This area offers many cultural dining options. Just minutes away, you will find tree lined blocks. Bonus is the access to the airports, highways, bridges, and you can own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,781,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvocadoAficionado View Post
Thanks for your suggestions!

Let me then parlay that into my next question:

For those of you who have lived in BOTH Manhattan and Queens, what did you like better?
Manhattan. Just because it's more convenient in terms of transportation. Living in Queens, I was dependent on the subway system working fine otherwise I was stuck (I don't drive). In Manhattan I basically walk everywhere so I like the freedom that brings. Plus, I just like the feel of Manhattan more than Queens although Queens isn't all that bad either. It boils down to personal choice.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 PM

991 posts, read 1,771,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I did live on york avenue in the 70s, great area, but it was a long walk for the subway! Full service building , and amenities.
It'd be slightly closer now with the T-line? Plus there is a plethora of culinary options on 1st and 2nd Avenue.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,779,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
It'd be slightly closer now with the T-line?
These two answers show why its hilarious when people ask for info from posters. Cause you tend to always get this:

1. Obsolete information (people who once live in area decades ago)
2. Wrong information (people who never been to the area or beyond their own area but think they know everything lol)

Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 PM

991 posts, read 1,771,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
T
2. Wrong information (people who never been to the area or beyond their own area but think they know everything lol)
Pot = Kettle

Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,919,713 times
I've lived in both - lived on the LES and UES in Manhattan, now live in Astoria. For me, I prefer Queens.

It's quieter, and away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough that I can go get it if I so choose (I usually do not choose to lol).
I also have a car, and it's relatively easy to park. I don't want to become a non-driver again, it's too convenient on the weekends. But I'm close enough to the subway for an easy commute.
Lastly, the amount of space I have for what I pay far exceeds what I would have in Manhattan.

As far as cleanliness goes, I think Manhattan is way dirtier than Astoria, but I guess that depends on where.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 PM

306 posts, read 283,932 times
To the OP , you have the money for a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan, because the price you want to pay is $3k , but you'll not have a lot of space for your money. In Queens you can get good amount of space for a lesser price . You mentioned Kew Gardens , Forest Hills , these areas can be great for you . They are not far from Midtown Manhattan if you take the Long Island railroad or the train , and they are suburban feel like areas .
Also Laurelton and Rosedale in Jamaica are nice , but you'll have to take the Long Island railroad to go to midtown Manhattan , because there are no subway train stations near them

Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 PM

412 posts, read 510,831 times
They have done many studies on this and research has proved that people are much happier when they live within 1 mile from where they work. Now, you may expand that a bit since you've got the Subway here in NYC. But usually you'd want to keep your commute no longer than 15 minutes.

Anyway, I really like Long Island City, Queens. It's almost on Manhattan but much cheaper and has more space. I'd rather live there than in Midtown, even if the rent was the same.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 PM

34,138 posts, read 47,376,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvocadoAficionado View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm having a hard time deciding on where to live. I am a native Queensite looking to switch neighborhoods because my current apartment is too small for me, my boyfriend is moving in, and I don't like that things seem to be getting more congested/dirty around here. I work in Midtown (West 52nd betwen 5th and 6th) and currently commute which takes about an hour each way, sometimes more. It's such a shlep having to switch from bus to train every morning. Because I'm seriously thinking about moving, I am wondering if it's worth it just to go to Manhattan and get it over with rather than stay in Queens.

Reasons I am considering Manhattan:
The commute takes so much time out of my day and I am tired after work! If I lived closer to work maybe I could get back that time and actually enjoy the city.

There are so many more things to do and see in Manhattan.

There is a wonderful choice of beautiful housing.

Relative safety.

Ease of transportation and access to literally anything I want.

Manhattan is exciting.

Reasons I am considering Queens:
I love Forest Park. In Manhattan you can go days without seeing any nature, but in Queens you can see trees every day on your walk to the train.

It's relatively quiet.

Diverse neighborhoods with neighbors who look and sound different from me.

Familiarity.

"Small town" vibe in a big city.

It's cheaper than Manhattan and I would like to buy in a few years.

As far as Manhattan goes, I like any neighborhood below 108th street (and I'd even consider Washington Heights, Inwood and Hudson Heights in some areas). I particularly like Carnegie Hill and the UES but it's probably not the most convenient.

When it comes to Queens, I have always loved Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, especially the area near Forest Park and Metropolitan avenue.

I like a quiet neighborhood or "enclave" that isn't far from the action, a little bit of green space (doesn't have to be an entire park), a "neighborhood" feel and lots of activities to do. I am looking for a safe place to live that maybe isn't overrun with tourists but also allows me to skip out of my door and find something to do.

My budget is max 3k for a one bedroom. What neighborhood is right for me?
The only neighborhood you will have a chance of buying into in a few years (out of the ones you mentioned) is Inwood, unless space is not a factor. You're better off renting somewhere very cheap for the next 5 years even if you currently have a downpayment. Southern Brooklyn fits the bill for renting given your criteria, I'm sure you can find a one bedroom for $1000 under your budget.....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2020, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 1,628 times
This is easy to answer: Astoria!

Astoria is safer, cleaner, cheaper, has a park w/ running track and pool, has multiple restaurants, and is less crowded!

Manhattan is dirty, has higher crime rates, crowded, expensive, and only idiots live there!

Go to Queens or Brooklyn or dont go to NY at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City