Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times

Advertisements

They're everywhere.

Purslane is a choice one. Very rich in Vitamin C and iron. Thoreau alludes to it in "Walden."

Mustard greens are good about this time before they get too hairy. There's lots of wild greens that are fit to eat, lots of them are invasive species so you're doing Nature a favor.

There are also pokeweed and milkweed sprouts. Once upon a time, people used to bury a pokeweed root in a box of dirt in the basement and harvest the sprouts all winter. They're good as long as there's no purple in them.

Hey, it's free food. Know what you're doing and go out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
There's what looked like a pear tree to me right where the LIE westbound meets the BQE. The Queens botanical garden which use to be free has a lot of persimmon trees. And all over the city there are ginkgo trees which have edible seeds tough I'm not sure if they're edible raw.

You can use to below to find various fruit trees including apple and pear trees that are planted in the streets.

https://tree-map.nycgovparks.org

Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
There's what looked like a pear tree to me right where the LIE westbound meets the BQE. The Queens botanical garden which use to be free has a lot of persimmon trees. And all over the city there are ginkgo trees which have edible seeds tough I'm not sure if they're edible raw.

You can use to below to find various fruit trees including apple and pear trees that are planted in the streets.

You can make great apple/pear butters out of wild fruit, even if you can't eat them raw.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
And all over the city there are ginkgo trees which have edible seeds tough I'm not sure if they're edible raw.

I think you have to roast them. One sees the Chinese folk harvesting them all the time.

You need gloves, however, the actual fruit is nasty.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I think you have to roast them. One sees the Chinese folk harvesting them all the time.

You need gloves, however, the actual fruit is nasty.
Yeah the fruit smells like s**t. The Chinese use it for soups because it apparently has some medicinal properties. According to WebMD ginkgo seems to improve blood circulation and the seeds contains substances that might kill bacteria and fungi that cause infections in the body. But be cautions not to eat too much of it because there's also a toxin in it.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM

Smells like vomit, if you ask me.

Ginkgo trees have sexes, it's only the female ones that shed the stanky fruit. An old gardener friend of mine used to handle nuisance customers by offering them a "gift" of a female ginkgo tree.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
I don't think I'd trust any wild fruits/veggies in NYC!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
I bet there's tasty 3-eyed fish in Newtown Creek

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't think I'd trust any wild fruits/veggies in NYC!
Hence you should never ever buy at farmers markets in NYC especially in Brooklyn and never eat home grown veggies from friends living in gentrifying Brooklyn, Western Queens, or the Bronx. There's no telling how far toxic chemicals have spread in the underground watertable.

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.co...y-gardens/amp/

Old 04-10-2017, 05:24 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Wild chives grow all over queens and there used to be some wild berries in the parks. Lots of flowers are edible, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City