Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times

Advertisements

In the short term I think I would be better off financially if I got the hell out of here. The salary that I will make in the next 5 years is about the same no matter where I live in the lower 48 states, and the cost of living is substantially lower just about anywhere else in the country. So I'm definitely not staying here for the money.

Its my family, friends, the food, the culture, and the memories that keep me from leaving. I wouldn't want to ever have to give all of this up, even if I could make better money elsewhere.

It seems like most of the transplants who move here are living here mostly for the cash (and possibly the prestige of living in Manhattan). Thats fine, it doesn't bother me. However don't go and infer that everyone else living in NYC is here only for the money. It is a lot more complicated than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
I understand how NYC can get to you. But this statement "I want better quality of life with the same amount of money I spent each month." is what everyone in this area wants. People live in and around NYC for money. No one really wants to be here. Everyone I know wants an estate in the country or to move away somewhere tropical.

Visiting another country or city always feels amazing. Its something new. But you only feel that way because its 'someplace new'. Think about when people vacation to NYC and see it for the first time. They are probably amazed and think its the greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah I think you're setting your standards for women entirely too high. You're probably only willing to go after women who look like a 9 or a 10. The reality is that most of the women who look THAT good could have any man that they want. Lower your standards a little bit in the looks department and you'll probably find someone who is entirely much more down to earth.

There are TONS of good looking women in this city. They don't only congregate at clubs in the Meatpacking district. If you really believe that then your standards for women are completely out of wack.

What field are you in? I'm guessing something to do with business? I-banking? Hedge funds? Don't know how you're making so much $$$ only working 35 hours a week, but the best of luck with that.

I'd suggest you forget this whole commuting from Miami idea. That is definitely going to make your life a hell of a lot more hectic than it already is.

If you want somewhere with a slower pace of life, I'd suggest the suburbs, outerboroughs, or even a neighborhood like the Upper East Side. There is certainly a lot of money in the UES, however the people there seem less fake and pretentious than those who hang out below 14th st, (just my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ambitious View Post
Thanks to all for posting your replies and suggestions.

Some say I am bored or I might be in a rut. Some might think I have some personnel issues and need some therapy to find happiness. I am not criticizing any one but just wanted to tell my side of the story. I don't want to be philosophical either, I know you can't buy happiness and all.

I wanted to improve the quality of my life. Which is subjective and could differ from person to person. For me, I listed few things in my original post. I have lived in NYC and I know it's ONE of best city in the world. But also overrated.
I never said I hate Manhattan. I love my life but I just want more out of it.

Holden125---> You say you're tired of pretentious people and things cost too much, but then you talk about hanging out in the Meatpacking district. Dude, I hate pretentious so I don't go out there

The reason I hangout in Meat packing is for good looking women. You can't see that many any where else in the city. I know, some are fake, pretentious and snob but looks are important for everyone If you know what I mean.

Henna---> (It just sounds like success (or at least a job making lots of money) has come easily and quickly for you and you don't feel challenged. You're already "making it" so everything is boring)
I worked really hard to get to this point of my life and working harder to get the best out of it. This research is an example

AceRock-->The alternative is to get some down to earth girlfriends.
Personally, Manhattan is the girl to fool around with when you're young, but Manhattan is not the girl you marry.

I don't have any plans to get marry any time soon and have my fair share of women in the city. I tried having down to earth and nice GF while compromising lot of things but honestly, it does not work either. Physical attraction is very important as well as personality.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I am confused and super bored and thinking of moving out of NYC but not sure where. I have also posted this in the other sections of the forum to help me take my decision.

Here is my situation.
I am 28 years old (Male) single living in NYC(Manhattan) in a doorman building for the past 8 years. I rent a studio which is about 480 square feet. I pay $2500 which includes gym and a decent size pool. I pay around $1000/year in tips and etc charges to my building personnel(porters, doorman, maid, Christmas).

I have a great job ($$$$$$+bonus) only 15 min train ride from my apartment. The job offers me flexible hours which means I can work 4 days (35 hours per week).

After all of these perks I am bored, confused and some time frustrated. Initially I enjoyed NYC but now it gets on my nerves.

WHY?
Quality of life.
*Dinner for two($60 on average including drinks)
*Expensive Night outs ($200pp Friday and Sat with couple of friends in a decent club/bar around Meat Packing Dist)
*On average more pretentious people and snobs..
*Less intimate(Women)relationships on average(else where 8/10)
*Stressful
*Fast pace (Time flies)
*Feel bored even having a circle of friends and things to do.

I thought I just needed a vacation. After taking few months off traveling to other cities domestic and international I found out that the quality of life (if I spend the same amount every month) is far better else where. This is only true if I find a job with the same salary, which is difficult to find in those cities including Miami.

I am planning to relocate to Miami or some other state and commute every week to NYC (Mon-Thur). My company could pay me for travel and other expenses for NYC(atleast a part of it) and I will be working 4 days per week.

My Monthly budget could be any where from $3500 to $4000. Which city has a better quality of life with this budget?

P.S' I am not planning to save money or lower my living standards. I want better quality of life with the same amount of money I spent each month.

Thanks
Nashville, go see it. I think its a up and coming place. The cost of living is a bit high in relation to local pay but if you can make the sort of pay your talking about you will be fine. Could even live in the downtown area. If I can't get a job in NYC I will most likely end up in Nashville.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times
The only thing that baffles me,and maybe I'm missing something, is that you say you're tired of snobs and pretentious people and then you talk about Miami. Honestly, they are some of the most pretentious people I have ever met in my life and some of the women are downright dingy on top of that. Maybe all that silicone leaked upwards to their brains. I know quite a few people that love Chicago-ever thought of going there?

Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
ohh yeah, what he said^^ chicago is right! Just darn cold

Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Eh, Miami? I would examine your options around around the area, like another borough (Brooklyn??) or NJ, Con, LI.

But if you must leave the NE, don't mind the flight, and will get reimbursed, i'll cast my vote for Chicago as well. Hell, I did that trip for 1 1/2 years, and loved it.

Career-wise, you're set assuming you're in finance. You can find decent rent ~1300/mo in a great area by the beach. Lots of flights between the two. Great well established restaurant scene. And use your airline points you racked up to go to Miami once in a while...

Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM

36 posts, read 93,358 times
Do you want to live in a big city? Check out their threads here and see what people who live there say.

Look around.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 23,655 times
Thanks for replying.

Guys who have mentioned Chicago, Austin and other cities how much would it cost me in those cities if I do the following? (For research purposes I went out on last Friday and kept all of my receipts)

Friday night(9:00Pm to Sat Morning 5:00AM)
No of people = 6
Dinner for six = $154 + $28(tip) =$182 (olive tree west village, 1drinkpp)
Stretch Limo = $50 +$10(tip) = $60 (to midtown club Pacha)
Club Pacha = $600 + $120 (tip) = $720 (Vip+2 ($300)bottles of Vodka)
Taxi back home = $30(2 cabs X $15)
Total = $992

Olive tree is a mediocre restaurant, food cost $13-$15.

Also,

Studio/one bedroom apartment (best part of the city)
Parking = ?

Thanks.

P.S 'I will be living on a NYC salary'

Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM

36 posts, read 93,358 times
I wouldn't live alone. Live with a friend or serious GF/BF (whatever).
It'll cut your rent in half.
Unless you like being...lonely? Just kidding.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying.

Guys who have mentioned Chicago, Austin and other cities how much would it cost me in those cities if I do the following? (For research purposes I went out on last Friday and kept all of my receipts)

Friday night(9:00Pm to Sat Morning 5:00AM)
No of people = 6
Dinner for six = $154 + $28(tip) =$182 (olive tree west village, 1drinkpp)
Stretch Limo = $50 +$10(tip) = $60 (to midtown club Pacha)
Club Pacha = $600 + $120 (tip) = $720 (Vip+2 ($300)bottles of Vodka)
Taxi back home = $30(2 cabs X $15)
Total = $992

Olive tree is a mediocre restaurant, food cost $13-$15.

Also,

Studio/one bedroom apartment (best part of the city)
Parking = ?

Thanks.

P.S 'I will be living on a NYC salary'

Im from austin but may be living in NY for 4 months or so while on contract so Ill answer about austin. Austin has a much slower pace of life. It is a small town and if you are usually all wound up, you would probably go crazy here because there just isnt that much to do. If you actually wanted a slower pace of life, then austin might be right, otherwise I wouldnt do it.

Pricewise, our prices arent that different than what you listed above. A decent restaurant will be about 15-20 without drinks, a great restaurant 25-35. Im not sure if we have many restaurants with >35 entrees. Austin restaurants top out around 35 without drinks. Drinks will typically run about $5-8 for topshelf. More obviously if you get wine.

We are getting a few bars with 300 bottles, but for the most part it would be hard to spend more than 100/per person on drinks. Typically it would be more like $30-50.

Living downtown, the taxi probably wouldnt only be about $10. Downtown condos are running around 400/sq ft in the nicest areas (four seasons). You can do about 300/sq ft for a really nice one and 200 sq ft in an older building. We are about to have a correction so I would expect those prices to drop about 30% into next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City