Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,322,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Cannot speak for now but I remember when Sharpton met Italian protesters in Bensonhurst in the late 80s many Southerners thought that this was internal battle among "N" word. They would describe the Italians as "Sand N (word)" as they would Arabs and Puerto Ricans.
Puerto Ricans can't be sand******s. They ain't from the desert. A lot of Sicilians on the other hand are mixed with Tunisians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
In fact I recall that you were the one who lambasted minorities for voting for the Democrats. That is bringing race into the discussion.

Its always interesting that when FOX News watching, Trump loving right wing lunatics bring in race it isn't about race until there is a response to their race baiting.
Please tell me about all these wonderful things the Democrats have done for you that you weren't capable of doing on your own.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,993,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Please tell me about all these wonderful things the Democrats have done for you that you weren't capable of doing on your own.
Franklin D. Roosevelt created social security, something that all Americans use in old age. Johnson created medicare as we know it, something that all Americans use in old age. Seniors, when nursing homes deplete their savings, are also eligible for medicaid.

The average American is using multiple government services beyond that. Sending your children to public school? Government services. Higher education of course gets government grants.

You can thank the labor unions for work force protections, such as days off, benefits from the job, and retirement benefits.

In any developed country, you have basic services provided by the government. Places with no government services are horribly underdeveloped places like Somalia and Afghanistan. You can go there if you'd like.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
We already had this discussion, G-Dale, and one thing I dislike about those who call themselves right wing is outright dishonesty.

Women, Blacks, and others were barred from higher education (unless they wanted to go to women's schools or Black schools that were considered rate) barred from any high paying employment, barred from housing in many areas, etc. So please explain to me why someone would love being barred, in many cases by official policy from work, education, and housing (no one likes being forced to live only in certain areas that are deliberately not maintained).

Black people in my grandparents generation did agriculture work, or domestic work basically. Oh yeah and they had just an elementary school education. Things broadly changed with acts like the various civil rights act, the higher education acts, etc.

Before the 1960s, it was the actual government in many cases that deliberately maintained segregation, and sometimes by law. So it took government action to undo those laws and policies. And no, this is nothing an individual could have handled on his or her own.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Franklin D. Roosevelt created social security, something that all Americans use in old age. Johnson created medicare as we know it, something that all Americans use in old age. Seniors, when nursing homes deplete their savings, are also eligible for medicaid.

The average American is using multiple government services beyond that. Sending your children to public school? Government services. Higher education of course gets government grants.

You can thank the labor unions for work force protections, such as days off, benefits from the job, and retirement benefits.

In any developed country, you have basic services provided by the government. Places with no government services are horribly underdeveloped places like Somalia and Afghanistan. You can go there if you'd like.
All things as a result of demand created by government mishaps. Now we have no clue of what we deserve, so we assume the government is giving us a good deal. In reality we are getting a poor deal at an expensive price.

They can't even educate the masses anymore. To preoccupied running inefficient programs and such, rather than simply regulating and governing.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
We already had this discussion, G-Dale, and one thing I dislike about those who call themselves right wing is outright dishonesty.

Women, Blacks, and others were barred from higher education (unless they wanted to go to women's schools or Black schools that were considered rate) barred from any high paying employment, barred from housing in many areas, etc. So please explain to me why someone would love being barred, in many cases by official policy from work, education, and housing (no one likes being forced to live only in certain areas that are deliberately not maintained).

Black people in my grandparents generation did agriculture work, or domestic work basically. Oh yeah and they had just an elementary school education. Things broadly changed with acts like the various civil rights act, the higher education acts, etc.

Before the 1960s, it was the actual government in many cases that deliberately maintained segregation, and sometimes by law. So it took government action to undo those laws and policies. And no, this is nothing an individual could have handled on his or her own.
That wasn't nice of Democrats to do this to the people. Shame on them. Thank goodness for a multi-party system to keep them honest.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
All things as a result of demand created by government mishaps. Now we have no clue of what we deserve, so we assume the government is giving us a good deal. In reality we are getting a poor deal at an expensive price.

They can't even educate the masses anymore. To preoccupied running inefficient programs and such, rather than simply regulating and governing.
People grow old and get sick. Not a government mishap. In poor health or in old age ones ability to earn money just isn't there.

You'll get there at some point. No worries.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
People grow old and get sick. Not a government mishap. In poor health or in old age ones ability to earn money just isn't there.

You'll get there at some point. No worries.
I understand the need, and that government helps create the dependency. Yes there is a conflict of interest, and antitrust issues, but who's to investigate. They are poorly funded and terribly inefficient programs.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:22 PM

931 posts, read 802,401 times
Quote:
The fact that we continue to vote Democrat just shows how pathetic the GOP is. Stop a minute to think of that. If you think that Trump is great then that just shows the extent of your problem.
And if you think Hillary as well as Obama were better choices than Trump then that just shows the extent of your problem. Real talk!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 PM

95 posts, read 154,878 times
I am really hopig a Republican can win in November. The City cannot afford another 4 years of Big Bird. He is like every other democrat. If there is a problem just throw more money at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City