Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times

Advertisements

Good area for stores and transportation. It will be an experience. Like anywhere there are pros and cons. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
Staten Island. My main concern was being close to work because I was taking the ferry everyday. I will be about a 1 minute walk from the 6 train so I hope that minimizes any trouble I may run into, especially since I leave for work at night.
What part of Staten Island?

If you're just a minute walk from the train, then it should be fine.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Quote:
Staten Island. My main concern was being close to work because I was taking the ferry everyday. I will be about a 1 minute walk from the 6 train so I hope that minimizes any trouble I may run into, especially since I leave for work at night.
uh you leave for work at NIGHT and think the it will be better to minimize trouble?

I'm thinking you don't have much experience in these types of highly diverse areas

Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
So I just signed a lease for a walk-up on E 138th Street, near Brook Ave. I was telling my family and friends about the good news of me moving and almost everyone gave me negative feedback that I'm moving to a bad area. One of my friends even said it's "drug city." I visited the area and loved it because there are many stores nearby (I just love commercial areas), transportation nearby, and it's a very short commute to Manhattan where I work. I don't drive so transportation is a huge deal for me. I just wanted the opinion of others on the area.
Question. Are you are Local, or a Transplant? I'm from the exact area and I'm familiar with it. Some parts of Mott Haven are nice and picturesque like E 140th and E 136th street with the housing stock, but other parts of Mott Haven are more ugly and far more dangerous than the housing projects like Diego Beekman. Mott Haven also has plenty of environmental issues. Mott Haven will leave you with Asthma, Sinus, Bronchitis and Allergies for years to come. The other issue is schools, but only one or two good schools in the area like St Luke's for example. Mott Haven supermarkets suck, suck, suck except for Fine Fare on 149th street.

The only benefit of Mott Haven is the close proximity to Manhattan, and access to public transportation, as well as close connection to Queens via car, example LGA is only a 10 minute ride wit a cab from Mott Haven. Even though new housing stock is coming online on the 138th street corridor on Third Avenue, and along the water front, plus nooks and cranny areas. Mott Haven still has a long way to go from its 1920 days where it was a spot for professionals. When the Great Depression hit, and criminal bootlegging took off, Mott Haven seeped into a world of criminality and stuck that way since regardless of race of the area.

As for good eats of Mott Haven. You have a couple of Mexican restaurants on 149th, 138th, Bergen and Brook, Oaxaca on Willis, A Greek Pizzeria named Angelos on 138 and Morris, Pio Pio, Peruvian Restaurant on Cypress and 138, Dominican Caridad on 138 and Jackson, Decent Mexican and Halal food trucks on 138 and 149th street. Two remaining Puerto Rican Luncheonera on 148th and Willis and another, The area used to be full of Puerto Rican Restaurants, but like many Bronx areas, Puerto Rican population is in full retreat from the area, and its place growing Dominican and Mexican populace. Now last on Bruckner Boulevard, you have a couple of trendy spots that may be worth your interest if you bring friends to your apartment.

Another great ting about Mott Haven is diversity. Generally Mott Haven used to have a major ethnic group, and a large minority group. Example of this is that a century ago their was a large German population and small Irish population. Half a century later it was a large Irish population and size able Puerto Rican population. Quarter century later it was Large Puerto Rican, and sizeable African American population. These rules no longer exist anymore. Now you have Puerto Ricans but in decline. Growing Dominican population, growing Mexican population, growing central American. There are still some African Americans around, but many are regulated into the Pjs, than you have plenty of Muslim groups either from Saharan Africa like Libya or West Africa like Senegal and some from the Levant such as Syrian refugees. Than there are Transplants here and there.

Overall, I think you will be alright. I'm a local of the area and I rarely get into trouble. Just mind your business, don't get involved with locals of the area unless the local is a positive go getter such as myself. Don't cut into the projects late at night, not because of safety concern, but because of police, they will stop you for trespassing.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM

24 posts, read 25,565 times
Brook Ave has come along way. I've lived in the area a long time. Just like any other area there might be some issues but as long as you mind yours you shouldn't have any issue.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 15,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What part of Staten Island?

If you're just a minute walk from the train, then it should be fine.
Mariner's Harbor.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:05 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Mariner's Harbor.
Am here to say that parts of Mariner's Harbor look like a third world country. Mott Haven isn't too far off. Should be fine for OP.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 15,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say that parts of Mariner's Harbor look like a third world country. Mott Haven isn't too far off. Should be fine for OP.
Oh, thank you, thank you! I was frightened that I might have traded my safety for a second there. I don't mind groups of people hanging outside, and I always mind my business. I just wouldn't want to be followed to my apt or to the subway.

Also, thanks for the info Bronxguyanese!

Last edited by TopHarlem; 06-27-2017 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,879,032 times
Quote:
So I just signed a lease for a walk-up on E 138th Street, near Brook Ave. I was telling my family and friends about the good news of me moving and almost everyone gave me negative feedback that I'm moving to a bad area. One of my friends even said it's "drug city." I visited the area and loved it because there are many stores nearby (I just love commercial areas), transportation nearby, and it's a very short commute to Manhattan where I work. I don't drive so transportation is a huge deal for me. I just wanted the opinion of others on the area.
U shoulda listened to your friends. That's why we call it "Moot Haven."

Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,879,032 times
Golden Pizza and Foo Hing Chinese on 144th @ 3rd are the best though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City