Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 15,338 times

Advertisements

So I just signed a lease for a walk-up on E 138th Street, near Brook Ave. I was telling my family and friends about the good news of me moving and almost everyone gave me negative feedback that I'm moving to a bad area. One of my friends even said it's "drug city." I visited the area and loved it because there are many stores nearby (I just love commercial areas), transportation nearby, and it's a very short commute to Manhattan where I work. I don't drive so transportation is a huge deal for me. I just wanted the opinion of others on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
So I just signed a lease for a walk-up on E 138th Street, near Brook Ave. I was telling my family and friends about the good news of me moving and almost everyone gave me negative feedback that I'm moving to a bad area. One of my friends even said it's "drug city." I visited the area and loved it because there are many stores nearby (I just love commercial areas), transportation nearby, and it's a very short commute to Manhattan where I work. I don't drive so transportation is a huge deal for me. I just wanted the opinion of others on the area.
Am here to tell you get out if you can. Am thinking that area is Mott Haven and it still has a way to go. Can tell you short commute isn't worth it if safety isn't good.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
It's certainly not nice, but I wouldn't be afraid to live there or anything.

Just don't poke your nose in stuff. Drug dealers are more concerned with finding people to sell drugs to than they are with you.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
It's certainly not nice, but I wouldn't be afraid to live there or anything.

Just don't poke your nose in stuff. Drug dealers are more concerned with finding people to sell drugs to than they are with you.
Can tell you that things *happen*. Can be an innocent victim like the kid in Morrisania or whatever. Would not live there.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
It's close to Manhattan by train, St. Mary's park is nearby, and there's good authentic Mexican food in the area.

It's rough around the edges for sure, but I would live there if I got a good deal.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
Where are you from?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Oh and to prepare, watch this video and imagine walking past these groups chillin on corners with a high possibility of them saying nasty things to you as you walk by after a long day of work or school (Depending on your skin color, if you are black/brown you are probably ok)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXTkZbgN6V4

Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQFp6OmFIxY

Old 06-27-2017, 06:43 AM

18 posts, read 15,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Where are you from?
Staten Island. My main concern was being close to work because I was taking the ferry everyday. I will be about a 1 minute walk from the 6 train so I hope that minimizes any trouble I may run into, especially since I leave for work at night.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
How you will do in this area really depends on how acclimated you are to living in the hood, because this are is the epitome of 'the hood.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City