Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
but lower income = more crime. they go hand in hand together. there have been 4 ppl killed in front of my building within the last 2 years...and they are all drug related.

How do you know that all the people with low income a drug related??? Did you meet all the residents in Harlem with low income? I really doubt that! So how can you assume that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:06 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
..... If it were just baggy pants that were the problem...............
That statement implies baggy jeans is a "problem". A problem for who? and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
......but I would like kids to see something else besides the usual ghetto wear....and not have them ridiculed or harassed because they wear clothes that fit and present themselves properly. That will only happen when mainstream society values (via shops, retail, people etc) are reintroduced into these areas.
This is the very sentiment that makes kids in the city REJECT the so called "mainstream" apparel even more. The thought that someone else attempts to define what is "appropriate" apparel etc, rings condescendingly to most and rightfully so.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM

395 posts, read 490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
How do you know that all the people with low income a drug related??? Did you meet all the residents in Harlem with low income? I really doubt that! So how can you assume that???
cuz there are ppl in my building buying and selling drug on the first fl. lobby area...i see it with my own damn eyes. and one of the person killed live in my building. it happens 3am-4am in the morning with 4-5 shots when the 2 were killed. they had a mural with the young black guy that got shot for like 3 weeks and opposite of my building they had a mural for the other kid that got killed. u put 2 and 2 together...this aint rocket science.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
plus i said the 4 ppl that got killed are drugs related. i didnt said everyone low income person that live in harlem are all drug related. u quoting me out of context. dont get it twisted son.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Yeah East Harlem..ughhhh

Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
plus i said the 4 ppl that got killed are drugs related. i didnt said everyone low income person that live in harlem are all drug related. u quoting me out of context. dont get it twisted son.
You went to high school over 20 years ago and still talk like that? Very suspicious. What grown ass man says "don't get it twisted son?"

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Lol...we seems to be fixated on the clothes. Please re-read my post for further clarification as anyone with 1/10 of a brain know that owning a pair of baggy pants means absolutely nothing.

The sentiment I am expressing is not mine, it is in fact society's values. In our society, as in most of the world's, the accepted professional attire are suits. Furthermore the way you speak and present yourself has a direct impact on how you are perceived, how you are treated, and the development (or lackthereof) of your relationships, in both the professional world as well as your personal life. This point, whether it is right or wrong, has ALWAYS been the case and is nothing new.

These attitudes are carried by everyone and are innate to human beings...we all do it. If you see someone that looks (and smells) like a bum, they are perceived and treated as such, for better or worse,. We do not have time in our daily lives to invest in everyone we meet to determine who they really are and what they are really about. As a result, we all make judgments, quickly, and move on with our lives.

Therefore, those that CHOOSE to live in the ghetto subculture, for whatever reason, have a MAJOR disadvantage in every facet of life, which we are all aware of. You can choose to believe that this is condescending or somehow wrong, but the reality is that our society functions best when there are those that do follow basic rules, and can participate on a level that is accepted by peers, both personal and professional. The problem we see today is that the ghetto subcultural is being legitamized, so their peers, both professional and personal, are also entrenched in this dangerous subculture so it SEEMS normal and everyone else that follows a more mainstream lifestyle is deemed all kinds of negatives.

As a result, I sincerely doubt that ghettoizing our entire society with the putrid vernacular, gutter references, and abysmal "urban" wear would not make us any better or stronger as a society or a culture. Why must we legitamize such behavior and say its okay? It is not, anymore than legitamizing any other self-destructive behavior, and at the end of the day that is exactly what this lifestyle is...on a GRAND scale.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You went to high school over 20 years ago and still talk like that? Very suspicious. What grown ass man says "don't get it twisted son?"
i used to live in the bx and currently in east harlem. so i'm always up to date with the lingo in these neighborhood. so sorry if u not up to date with these lingo terms.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
but of course ..... he has to flex his "hood muscles".

Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
but of course ..... he has to flex his "hood muscles".
rflmao...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City