Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 AM

126 posts, read 156,863 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for a few years and I love it, but there's something I haven't explored and that's bars.

Being in my late 20s, I know that BR isn't exactly my crowd, but I haven't ventured into the bars because everytime I walk past them or take a look, it's full of white people between 45-55 years old who look very conservative and NIMBY-type.

Being a minority, I feel like if I step into one of these bars I'm going to get looks. The only one I've actually been to is Skinflints and the vibe was fine, as opposed to one called Pour House which felt very intimidating.

I guess my question is, for anyone who's lived in the neighborhood and been to any of these bars, what's your experience been like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Think of it like this: If I walk into a bar in Washington Heights that is blasting reggaeton, I'm going to get looks. It's how this city (and society in general) has been forever and will always be.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
I've been living here for a few years and I love it, but there's something I haven't explored and that's bars.

Being in my late 20s, I know that BR isn't exactly my crowd, but I haven't ventured into the bars because everytime I walk past them or take a look, it's full of white people between 45-55 years old who look very conservative and NIMBY-type.

Being a minority, I feel like if I step into one of these bars I'm going to get looks. The only one I've actually been to is Skinflints and the vibe was fine, as opposed to one called Pour House which felt very intimidating.

I guess my question is, for anyone who's lived in the neighborhood and been to any of these bars, what's your experience been like?
Am confused. Bay Ridge is a majority white neighborhood, therefore the bars are mainly frequented by whites. Am not sure what you expect. What exactly is your background that you feel you would get such looks? If you are black then yes, would likely get some looks in general, since not many blacks frequent the area or live there.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
If you don't like the vibe in Bay Ridge, there are plenty of other places you can go that are diverse and filled with young people

Old 07-20-2017, 12:13 PM

954 posts, read 939,940 times
Who the hell goes to bars in bay ridge?

Is probably what they are thinking to themselves.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If you don't like the vibe in Bay Ridge, there are plenty of other places you can go that are diverse and filled with young people
I said I love the neighborhood in general, my issue was with bars.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Who the hell goes to bars in bay ridge?

Is probably what they are thinking to themselves.
Haha. Usually I have to travel to north Brooklyn or Manhattan to hang out with friends, but every once in a while I have a friend or date come to the neighborhood for a drink.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
Are you negro?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
I go to bars with an older demographic as well as ones with younger, sometimes mono race other times diverse. I see no difference if I can strike up a conversation with the bartender, patrons, etc. Just the other day I was at a wine bar in Douglaston where they played somber guitar out on the sidewalk near the LIRR station and it was that certain demographic that you were describing. I've never had issues in any bar in NYC on race or age and I'm half black half white now 25 lol.

Maybe its why you're going to bars. If you're going to pick up women, then yeah, you won't find what your looking for at bars with an older demographic unless you're going for the older type. I went to the Narita Restaurant in Forest Hills after just getting back from Japan to chill and got along with the bartender from Osaka and a bunch of locals, some in the real estate business, others from so far back they remember when East New York was Italian. Just kick back, have a beer, and enjoy~

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
I've went in the bars there to watch sporting events when killing time in the area. I had beer and wings while I watched the Mets lose. Service was polite and accommodating. There were mostly local Bay Ridge people hanging out. They kept to themselves, which I was fine with since I don't care to mingle. I also recall two Black ladies having dinner and drinks. They received just as good of service as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City