Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 22,973 times

Advertisements

i got a response i took the test got 8 wrong..any way the letter said my employment didnt meet the min requirement to move foward. if it was incorrect please respond with an appeal.form and include the correct info within 30days of the letter...so judging from that my application was selected because some one looked at it and missed my employment history.. i think i honest left it out on my application initially....but exam 7604 T.O...requires 12 month with same employer and continuious from last day of the exam dec 27 2016. .. i sent my appeal to them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 22,973 times
i was told about this exam by a few friends who work at mta and went thru the process.they were all called pretty fast after taking the exam..within a 1 year a half or 2...They all swear before they get to list mta humar resource or whom does the selecting tries to remove applicants or rank them from best to worst , so those who dont meet the requirements prior to the list are removed or given number so far they have a chance..for example: ...they do backgrounds checks and select the best with highest school into group 1 who will be called first..like any job some people wont lasr thru training or probation..so then they have group 2 they begin to call them , then group 3 and 4 etc...keep in mind 1 group could be 500 people. ..if a pwrson scores high but doesnt meet requirement or 200 folks scored the same but they are better qualified they select the best..I think people forget this is a competetive job.. score is 1 factor.. not the only factor. .Education.
2 , years on job 3 & drivers record 4 ....5 clean drugs test . lot of people will score the same .. this is when the other factors kick in and become important.
so they do look at applications beforehand so they get the best of the best called on the list ...this is what i was told....it honestly does make sense...a test alone will not get you a job. a high score gets their attention..if the rest is looking good youll have a chance..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 45,048 times
my son went today to Brooklyn to get a drug test and fill out paperwork for the train operator, his number was 883 does anyone else have info like if there hiring , does he have a shot, whats next....thanks

Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM

my son went to Brooklyn today for paperwork and drug test from 7:30AM to about noon, his number i believe is 833, guess he has to wait to see whats next, they gave a manual and said there would be test and quizzes for the job. anyone know whats next

Old 06-08-2018, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 22,232 times
Was this his first call or second? I had my first call on May 17th and I'm still waiting for my second call. From what I'm told, the second call is to submit the 21-page background check information and do your full medical. Don't quote me on that though.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 20,881 times
What was your list number?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:45 AM

Default list # 883

Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,884 times
So once the eligible list comes out what happens next? I passed with 90% and my eligible number is 2033.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,871 times
Supposedly the official list will be released in the next few weeks. So for those of us who are already sworn in and are in class will not be on probation until our status is permanent, which will not happen until the list is released. Those of you who want more info should go to the nyctransit forum. More folks are active on that forum for T/O 7604 than this one.

Those of you who received a pre employment letter and went in should have taken the drug test and issued a packet. If and when you get called back for your medical (notified via email anywhere from 3-90 days) you bring in your paperwork from the packet and go through the medical and take a 2nd drug test. The initial drug test is only good for 90 days so if you get called afterwards then you will have to do it again. If you pass the medical and 2nd drug test then you will have your picture taken, get fingerprinted and get sworn in.

Everyone is wondering when they will get called. As with any civil service exam, just be patient. You will get called when you will get called. Just because you have a high list # doesn't necessarily mean you won't get called. Folks may not meet the minimum requirements (this position used to require 5 years of work experience rather than the 1 year they required for this exam). Folks may fail the drug test or medical, or be placed on medical hold. Something new they are checking is sleep apnea. Folks that have outstanding tickets need to have everything cleared/paid. Some folks may decline because it is not the right time for them or some folks actually declined and wanted to wait until the official list is released. Keep in mind when you get notified to go in for medical that is usually the same day that you are sworn so you may not have time to give your previous employer a full 2 weeks notice (some folks only had like 3 days notice before their first day of class). I got lucky after I got sworn in, first day of class was not until a month later. That may not happen for everyone as it depends on how many classes they are offering and how candidates are being processed.

I read a post above with some conflicting information. Yes this is an open competitive list. If you met the minimum requirements of having a drivers license valid in the state of NY and 1 year work experience, ONLY your score matters. If you didn't meet the requirements you would have received a letter in the mail telling you why. Yes you have to complete the background history forms but experience, education, age etc... has no bearing on your DCAS list number. Your background history may affect your employment (if you neglected to tell them something or lied about something).

I'm starting my second week tomorrow. Training WILL be intense. Weekly quizzes, midterm, final and practicals. Midterm and final passing grade is 80. There will also be 2 signals test which you need to score 100. Just be sure you are ready for this so my advice is if you're not ready, decline for now and reinstate your name on the list when you are ready.

Subdivision A is around 7 months training
Subdivision B is around 9 months training

Quick tip:
For those folks that are sworn in and haven't started class... if you don't have any blue/gray button down shirts or blue/black pants go out and get some. No jeans, cargo pants, pants with cell phone pockets, no zip pockets, no polo shirts. They may be lenient during orientation (first 3 days) but once you're in school car all bets are off.
We got measured for uniforms already but it takes time to get delivered to you and then it may be more time as you may need to send items back if they don't fit properly.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 13,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apokeguy View Post
Supposedly the official list will be released in the next few weeks. So for those of us who are already sworn in and are in class will not be on probation until our status is permanent, which will not happen until the list is released. Those of you who want more info should go to the nyctransit forum. More folks are active on that forum for T/O 7604 than this one.

Those of you who received a pre employment letter and went in should have taken the drug test and issued a packet. If and when you get called back for your medical (notified via email anywhere from 3-90 days) you bring in your paperwork from the packet and go through the medical and take a 2nd drug test. The initial drug test is only good for 90 days so if you get called afterwards then you will have to do it again. If you pass the medical and 2nd drug test then you will have your picture taken, get fingerprinted and get sworn in.

Everyone is wondering when they will get called. As with any civil service exam, just be patient. You will get called when you will get called. Just because you have a high list # doesn't necessarily mean you won't get called. Folks may not meet the minimum requirements (this position used to require 5 years of work experience rather than the 1 year they required for this exam). Folks may fail the drug test or medical, or be placed on medical hold. Something new they are checking is sleep apnea. Folks that have outstanding tickets need to have everything cleared/paid. Some folks may decline because it is not the right time for them or some folks actually declined and wanted to wait until the official list is released. Keep in mind when you get notified to go in for medical that is usually the same day that you are sworn so you may not have time to give your previous employer a full 2 weeks notice (some folks only had like 3 days notice before their first day of class). I got lucky after I got sworn in, first day of class was not until a month later. That may not happen for everyone as it depends on how many classes they are offering and how candidates are being processed.

I read a post above with some conflicting information. Yes this is an open competitive list. If you met the minimum requirements of having a drivers license valid in the state of NY and 1 year work experience, ONLY your score matters. If you didn't meet the requirements you would have received a letter in the mail telling you why. Yes you have to complete the background history forms but experience, education, age etc... has no bearing on your DCAS list number. Your background history may affect your employment (if you neglected to tell them something or lied about something).

I'm starting my second week tomorrow. Training WILL be intense. Weekly quizzes, midterm, final and practicals. Midterm and final passing grade is 80. There will also be 2 signals test which you need to score 100. Just be sure you are ready for this so my advice is if you're not ready, decline for now and reinstate your name on the list when you are ready.

Subdivision A is around 7 months training
Subdivision B is around 9 months training

Quick tip:
For those folks that are sworn in and haven't started class... if you don't have any blue/gray button down shirts or blue/black pants go out and get some. No jeans, cargo pants, pants with cell phone pockets, no zip pockets, no polo shirts. They may be lenient during orientation (first 3 days) but once you're in school car all bets are off.
We got measured for uniforms already but it takes time to get delivered to you and then it may be more time as you may need to send items back if they don't fit properly.
I start training on Aug 13? Do you just buying multiple clothing during the training session or has your uniform came already? Do you suggestion reading the books that they gave or wait till orientation starts?And how has the training been going so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City