Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:17 AM

59 posts, read 94,707 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Washington Heights my entire life. Born and raised.

I will hopefully be moving to the Bronx soon, by Macombs Road and 172nd St. How's the area?

It seemed pretty quiet when I went by, really no different than the Heights. But I feel like the BX always gets such a bad rap, I can't pretend like I am not worried about being somewhere "new" by myself.

The part of the Heights I'm from is pretty quiet. While I know crime happens in the heights, in my almost 30 years here Ive never ACTUALLY seen it or have had it happen to anyone close to me. Its as if Ive been living in this bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna0727 View Post

I will hopefully be moving to the Bronx soon, by Macombs Road and 172nd St. How's the area?

It seemed pretty quiet when I went by, really no different than the Heights. But I feel like the BX always gets such a bad rap, I can't pretend like I am not worried about being somewhere "new" by myself.

The part of the Heights I'm from is pretty quiet. While I know crime happens in the heights, in my almost 30 years here Ive never ACTUALLY seen it or have had it happen to anyone close to me. Its as if Ive been living in this bubble.
*LOL* Just put it this way... You may *hope* to be moving to the Bronx soon... Just not there. Very few areas of the Bronx are safe near the subway, and this area isn't one of them.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,654 times
Quote:

You'll be fine

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Mccombs by 172 is ratchet af

Old 08-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
You'll be fine
Telling a lie. Washington Heights has some decent pockets west of Broadway. The area the OP is interested in is awful.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 AM

329 posts, read 299,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Telling a lie. Washington Heights has some decent pockets west of Broadway. The area the OP is interested in is awful.
Isn't that Soundview?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Mccombs by 172 is ratchet af
Lol word

Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
What would you call awful? Being from the heights I'm used to loud music, folks outside, people smoking on the corner. Stuff like that I'm not so worried about as much as; should I walk around with pepper spray everywhere I go, and have extra bolts in my doors. How crazy is the crime in that area?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
What would you call awful? Being from the heights I'm used to loud music, folks outside, people smoking on the corner. Stuff like that I'm not so worried about as much as; should I walk around with pepper spray everywhere I go, and have extra bolts in my doors. How crazy is the crime in that area?
Can tell you, have been through lots of poor areas. Melrose isn't that far away. Area is rough but improving. The area you're interested in is just ghetto. Washington Heights is bad in parts too, but would say that area you want to move to and Tremont are two of the worst in the Bronx. Can't really explain it. Anyone with street smarts can just feel it. Can tell you, remember being in Tremont to visit a friend. Only had to go a short distance from Metro-North and was thinking what a hellhole this place is. Thought a shootout would break out at any moment, and this was in the winter time. Advice would be to visit beforehand during various times of day and night. If you feel comfortable then you'll be fine. If you don't, then don't move there. Just know that compared to Washington Heights the place is worse. Very high crime and just ghetto. Will see when you're there long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Isn't that Soundview?
No, the area the OP wants to move to is Highbridge. Hell would probably recommend parts of University Heights/Fordham over the area she is interested in, as they are rough, but have a bit more working class people in parts.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Can tell you, have been through lots of poor areas. Melrose isn't that far away. Area is rough but improving. The area you're interested in is just ghetto. Washington Heights is bad in parts too, but would say that area you want to move to and Tremont are two of the worst in the Bronx. Can't really explain it. Anyone with street smarts can just feel it. Can tell you, remember being in Tremont to visit a friend. Only had to go a short distance from Metro-North and was thinking what a hellhole this place is. Thought a shootout would break out at any moment, and this was in the winter time. Advice would be to visit beforehand during various times of day and night. If you feel comfortable then you'll be fine. If you don't, then don't move there. Just know that compared to Washington Heights the place is worse. Very high crime and just ghetto. Will see when you're there long enough.

No, the area the OP wants to move to is Highbridge. Hell would probably recommend parts of University Heights/Fordham over the area she is interested in, as they are rough, but have a bit more working class people in parts.
It's a lottery apt. Really the only reason I'm willing to move there. I'll be paying a little less for a 2br than what I pay now for a basement studio apt in the heights. Originally I was told about a place in soundview and everyone told me its way more terrible there. This sucks lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: