Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, the difference with DR is many of the people coming from over there cannot speak proper Spanish. Know this because I've worked with several Dominicans whose Spanish in professional settings was not as good as it should be. There's a difference between proper Spanish and slang. Am well aware of that, but writing proper Spanish also consists of using the tildes (accents) and other punctuation marks in Spanish. They are not optional and are part of the language. If dealing with a Spanish-speaking client in the office, should know how to create a professional e-mail in Spanish. They also cannot write often times, and spell everything the way it *sounds phonetically*, so many coming here are not properly educated. So there may be 10 million Dominicans in DR, but many are not educated because they cannot switch up between slang and proper Spanish in professional settings. Someone who is educated and knows proper Spanish can do this, regardless of what Spanish-speaking country they are from. What I am probably witnessing is the many uneducated Dominicans coming here versus the upper class or middle class educated ones. Question to you since you claim such a class exists is where would such people be in DR? Have Latino friends from all over and most are from middle class or upper class families where good Spanish was taught, and before you go saying what is good Spanish, every country has its own terminology that it uses for certain words, but good Spanish means being able to communicate in proper Spanish that is neutral enough in business settings. Speak numerous languages and have a Dominican girlfriend, so am well aware of what I'm talking about. Can be offended or whatever, but am just telling it like it is.
But Spanish is pretty consistent phonetically, so wouldn't that not be that much of a problem?

I would think the problems would pertain more so to accentuation and conjugations. And things like "kiero", I'm not sure why people do that as it only shortens the word by one letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But Spanish is pretty consistent phonetically, so wouldn't that not be that much of a problem?

I would think the problems would pertain more so to accentuation and conjugations. And things like "kiero", I'm not sure why people do that as it only shortens the word by one letter.
Educated people should know that *kiero* is *quiero* and so on but they don't and that's my point. Many of the Dominicans that come here and not that educated. Are mostly from Santo Domingo and Santiago, although the ones from Santiago that I've encountered seem to speak better Spanish.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Educated people should know that *kiero* is *quiero* and so on but they don't and that's my point. Many of the Dominicans that come here and not that educated. Are mostly from Santo Domingo and Santiago, although the ones from Santiago that I've encountered seem to speak better Spanish.
The letter K, as far as I know, is only used in as loan-words derived from foreign languages, at least in latin based languages. There are a few very rare words, but it's not the norm. I'm not trying very hard, but the only word I can think of off the top of my head is Kilogram.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You really have a hatred for Italians. Why?

Trashy Italians have a lot of similarities with trashy Hispanics. Trashy Hispanics have a lot of similarities with trashy Blacks. You can go on this tangent forever, because trash is trash. Communities that have larger amounts of low income people will contain larger amounts of trash. You really should tame your bigotry though. It is not nice to refer to groups of people as trash.
I don't have a hatred I just point out what's true from experience. I grew up in an Italian American neighborhood. Many acted like normal human beings but many also acted like trash.

Why can there be ghetto black people but not trashy white people? I'm Jewish as well and there is a substantial portion of the Hasidic Jewish population that acts like trash as well. I have no problem saying that.

Quote:
Many 1st generation and 2nd generation American born citizens of Italy, Ireland and Germany were not taught to speak in their native tongue.
Simply false. Entirely depends on the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
When they used to immigrate in large numbers, many first and second gen german and dutch immigrants spoke mainly their native languages and practiced their own cultures. Those were the first hand accounts of famous US people at the time. This is no different from the behavior of latinos and other immigrant groups roday. And the descendants of the English spoke with a british accent for a long time.
People like G-Dale are either total idiots or just ignorant. If European cultures assimilated so well initially why do we have so many remnants of their culture still with us today?

Quote:
Interesting:

Speaking Dutch in West Michigan - News - Holland Sentinel - Holland, MI

"Many of the older people in the area speak Dutch because of those experiences where they were forced to speak Dutch. Leonard Maas of Holland [Michigan] is the son of Dutch immigrants and learned Dutch before he spoke English. He could not communicate with his classmates at first."

But not too many people will say that having ancestors who spoke Dutch was a sign of refusing to assimilate.

Quote:
Who told you that german immigrants in the early 20th century renounced their mother language, or did not teach their kids to speak german at home? See the link above, 20th century dutch immigrants did it. And mennonites continue to speak in german dialect today. There are many latinos who are still first and second gen, but someday they will become like marco and ted. They deserve the same flexibility that was given to germans, dutch, lebanese, and English for that matter.
G-Dale is ignorant or history and has no common sense.

Quote:
I grew up in Glendale. The older foreign born German immigrants spoke German in public, but their offspring never would. Could say the same for Italians. Aside from Puerto Ricans, Hispanics tend to hold onto their mother tongue a bit longer. I too, do think it will eventually wear away. Asians, aside from Filipinos, try talking to their kids in their mother tongue, but for some reason the kids always rather respond back in English.
Seriously, you're so ignorant it's laughable. Go learn some mid 19th and early 20th century NYC history. You'd be surprised.

Quote:
We celebrate American culture by knocking down hundred plus year old monuments as if it really matters.
Cultures evolves. Don't cry. What may be culture today, may be out of favor tomorrow. Especially in a dynamic country such as the US.

European whites tended to have a culture centered around a strong work ethic and education. Now many descendants of said whites are either strung out on heroin or blaming everybody but themselves for not having "good jobs".

Of course, they still claim to be hard working, yada, yada but we all know that's bull****. They got too comfortable and fat and now they're paying the price. In fact, they got so lazy that they voted for someone just because they thought he'd give them everything they wanted. Welfare queens much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City