Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times

Advertisements

I don't know anyone that likes Midtown. For most people, thats where they work and where the tourists are. The two things most new yorkers hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I didn't know people "loved" Midtown Manhattan

That's the part of the Manhattan that New Yorkers and tourists who are in the know try not to spend to much time in. Of course there is plenty of worthwhile stuff there as well as some parts that aren't too crowded, but for the most part Midtown is wayyy too crowded in the daytime and not one of the more interesting parts of the city.
I also have never heard people saying they "loved" Midtown. Where is that from?

But in terms of what it's got going for it, people have already named a few things above. I do go there frequently just because, but partly it's due to living in Queens and having direct and short subway lines that go there, whereas getting to the rest of Manhattan means train transfers.

I go to the southernmost part of Central Park, which starts in Midtown. Also I occasionally go to MoMA, Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park. I avoid Times Square as much as possible. If I want to go for a walk, besides Central Park, I would also avoid Midtown because the streets are too crowded for a pleasant walk just to be out for a stroll.

Perhaps the people you're hearing it from are tourists, in which case it makes perfect sense. There is a hustle and bustle, multiple tourist attractions, shopping, and it's centrally located with many subway stops that can get you to other locations.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 AM

532 posts, read 787,512 times
it's a work and tourist place. idk where you heard people love midtown.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
So people dont like the Hudson yards? The High-Line?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I hate 'Midtown'....its a crowded, dirty mess with little to offer in the way of culture. Its a bunch of office buildings peppered with Starbucks, Chipotle and Ann Taylor Loft stores.

Plus, when you go there, you feel like you're in a foreign country, and NOT the good ones.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 AM

375 posts, read 323,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
it's a work and tourist place. idk where you heard people love midtown.
Yup! This is how us native New Yorkers view midtown. I would also add 'play' next to work

.....It's a work/play and tourist place.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Chelsea?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago Loop is 2nd largest business district in America
If we're separating it out, I think downtown Manhattan may have reclaimed the 2nd largest business district in America again though I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't know anyone that likes Midtown. For most people, thats where they work and where the tourists are. The two things most new yorkers hate.
I like Midtown because I like to watch the tourists sometimes. Also, outside of that, I generally like the further eastern reaches of midtown east of 5th Avenue where the blocks get shorter and where a lot of residential areas and small parks and parklets show up. Plus, really fantastic range of Japanese restaurants. I'd say that area (Sutton Place/Turtle Bay/Tudor City) is probably among the top neighborhoods I'd actually want to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
It's arguable if much of the High-Line counts as Midtown, no?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-24-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM

954 posts, read 940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This.

New Yorkers tend to view midtown as a nessesary evil. It's where all the jobs are. I think most of us avoid it like the plague on weekends in favor of the "cool" areas downtown (Chelsea, soho, west village, east village, gramercy, etc.).

That being said, its THE destination for the ultimate tourist experience. With the Empire State Building, 30 rock, Times Square, etc.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,865,118 times
I work on 7th and 49th - If I don't bring my lunch, I will go to the cafeteria or literally across the street in either direction to get lunch, other than that, avoid like the plague. For work, I would take midtown over Wall Street in a heart beat. I have that area even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City