Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think the Black Panamanians would be around ENY, Canarsie, and Flatlands.
Black Panamanians are scattered. It's not as if there is a *Panamanian* neighborhood or whatever where they are concentrated like other nationalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 PM

363 posts, read 557,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The share of black New Yorkers among all New Yorkers has been slowly shrinking for decades for a whole host of reasons, and the shrinkage of the West Indian community, presumably, would reflect that. According to the census we were 28.7% of the city in 1990 and 25.5% of the population in 2010. Presumably that number is even lower now.
Same has been happening all over California. I believe most black Californians have relocated to Texas, Louisiana and Atlanta.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Plenty of Black Caribbeans, Africans, and Black Europeans are well traveled. I wouldn't generalize the global black population based off blacks in the US. Americans in general do not travel.
The well off ones, yes. But of course when you're dealing with people living in poverty, the majority of Africans aren't well traveled. The majority of Caribbean people aren't well travelled. Of course the Upper class in these places is in a different category.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Black Panamanians are scattered. It's not as if there is a *Panamanian* neighborhood or whatever where they are concentrated like other nationalities.
Scattered around the neighborhoods I mentioned.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Scattered around the neighborhoods I mentioned.
Only saw *around* not *scattered*. In any event, they are in the Bronx and elsewhere and mix with the West Indians and Latinos as well being a Latin-American country with strong Black roots.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Because the ones who came to NYC are those with West Indian background. They came because NYC has had a large West Indian population since around 1900. Many in fact reconnecting with relatives from Barbados, Jamaica and elsewhere.

Miami is more hospitable to Spanish speaking people so attracts those who primarily speak Spanish, the vast majority of which aren't black.
I believe the black Panamanians also "primarily speak Spanish" though, right?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My experience with black people in other countries have been in Dominican Republic, guyana, Canada, Trinidad and Tobago, Brazil and my home of USA. This is from my travels. Blacks in Canada do not have issues like all other black people in the countries I have mentioned. In the USA, America has made great strides for its black people. Trinidad and Tobago has more economic momentum for its black people, yet problems persists. Brazil blacks, is live or die world yet being developed in some areas. The worst place for blacks is either in Guyana or Dominican Republic.
Is the black population in Guyana poorer than the East Indian population in Guyana?

Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
My experience with black people in other countries have been in Dominican Republic, guyana, Canada, Trinidad and Tobago, Brazil and my home of USA. This is from my travels. Blacks in Canada do not have issues like all other black people in the countries I have mentioned. In the USA, America has made great strides for its black people. Trinidad and Tobago has more economic momentum for its black people, yet problems persists. Brazil blacks, is live or die world yet being developed in some areas. The worst place for blacks is either in Guyana or Dominican Republic.
Live or die for black Brazilians? That’s very narrow and vague. There’s discrimination and lots of police shootings like the US.

all these generally have pro-white bias. That is what they have in common.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Not for nothing. Their is a song called Trinidad, Trinidad, where are all my people. Guyanese contingent sang that verse the loudest. I saw this in Caribana. Not for nothing, Guyana tries to rep the West Indies real hard, yet they are disrespected the most. The reason why Guyanese are West Indians is that during the 19th century tens of thousands of Bajans and St Lucians immigrated to Guyana, and became a dominant force of black culture in Guyana. A good example of Burnham whos parents are Bajan descent. Guyana itself borrowed heavily from the Caribbean. Music such as Dancehall, Reggae, Calypso, Soca, and Chutney are all imports, Guyana ahs yet to craft its own music style. Even Reggeaton which is from Panama originally, and Samba from brazil are all exports, plus American hip hop.

Any way. CaribNY edits Guyana and Trinidad Wikipedia pages. I hope you know now.
It seems that Guyana was not huge settler colony like other places, although they did have planters who became a ruling class.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Must have been nice to be president. Being biracial myself, I consider him the first biracial president. Not the first black president. Guess we have different perspectives.
He calls himself black so it doesn't matter what you want him to be. Obama steps out of his house and 99% of Americans see a BLACK man. In fact there are many black Americans who look LESS black than he does. Vanessa Williams being an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City