Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Do you anticipate giving them more of your business?

Do you realize this will lead to more "regular" markets closing? And may kill off Fairway, too.

I suppose I'll take a peek at some point, but I'm worried about the fallout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Fairway should've done a better job positioning itself as it was almost Whole Foods before there was Whole Foods. Pretty much a lost opportunity for them for not striking when the iron was hot.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Do you anticipate giving them more of your business?

Do you realize this will lead to more "regular" markets closing? And may kill off Fairway, too.

I suppose I'll take a peek at some point, but I'm worried about the fallout.
Went last Thursday for my weekly shopping (usually go to Whole Foods a few times a week or as needed since I buy organic and like everything fresh). Spent $83.16. Saved a $1.20 overall (certainly nothing earth shattering IMO). 365 Organic Milk 1% was $3.49 instead of $3.99. Organic arugula (Whole Foods brand) was $3.49 instead of $3.99 and the 365 Sparkling Water from Italy was $1.39 instead of $1.49 and I bought two of them. Other than that paid the usual prices for what I get.

The things I pay the most for weren't any cheaper like GMO free or Organic Olive Oil. Usually get the 365 California GMO olive oil which is either $6.99 or in this case $7.99. Also like the Gaeta Organic Olive Oil from Greece. Was the usual $11.99. Van Leeuwen ice cream was $7.99 as usual (on sale it is $5.99) and organic skinless chicken sausage by Bilinski's were still $7.99 as usual, so yes, some things were a bit cheaper, but nothing insanely cheaper. They also lowered the price of their 365 Organic Granola cereal (the Honey and Oat one) from $4.99 to $4.39. Other than that, it was business as usual. Got my regular local organic fruit, GMO free veggie chips, pastries and so on at the regular prices. Was also expecting to get my bag of organic potatoes and tomatoes slightly cheaper, but the potatoes were $5.99 (a little more expensive than the last time I got them), and the Heirloom Organic tomatoes from one of the nearby farms was the usual $3.99.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
The bananas went down from 79 cents to 49 cents. Organic bananas went from 99 to 69 cents. Cereal that normally cost 5.79 I got for two for six dollars. There were discounts on many but not all items. Sardines and whole wheat macaroni cost the same.

Keep in mind the discounts that Pierrepont mentioned are often enough to get more customers.

Amazon has promised more discounts to Prime members soon.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The bananas went down from 79 cents to 49 cents. Organic bananas went from 99 to 69 cents. Cereal that normally cost 5.79 I got for two for six dollars. There were discounts on many but not all items. Sardines and whole wheat macaroni cost the same.

Keep in mind the discounts that Pierrepont mentioned are often enough to get more customers.

Amazon has promised more discounts to Prime members soon.
Oh please. That two-for-six deal is nothing new. Same discount they always have. Probably got Cascadian Farms cereal since that's usually what they on sale.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh please. That two-for-six deal is nothing new. Same discount they always have. Probably got Cascadian Farms cereal since that's usually what they on sale.
They expanded that discount to all cereals in that brand. Usually they have that discount only for certain cereals in that brand at a time.

So while the discount is not new, the expansion is.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They expanded that discount to all cereals in that brand. Usually they have that discount only for certain cereals in that brand at a time.

So while the discount is not new, the expansion is.
The expansion isn't new either. Was in place well before Amazon took over, but nice try. Am in Whole Foods far too often not to know about such deals. In fact there's only a handful of locations I haven't been to.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Nope. However when I was on Amazon last night I noticed a message that said I can order Whole Food products through Amazon Fresh and was shocked at how quickly they moved to make that integration possible. That was super interesting and appealing...

Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I got to Whole Foods regularly maybe twice a month and my last trip I saw maybe a bit more sales and promotional items but nothing much has changed. Waiting for Amazon's next big change. If you expect 20-40% off grocery then you'll be disappointed.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Went last Thursday for my weekly shopping (usually go to Whole Foods a few times a week or as needed since I buy organic and like everything fresh). Spent $83.16. Saved a $1.20 overall (certainly nothing earth shattering IMO). 365 Organic Milk 1% was $3.49 instead of $3.99. Organic arugula (Whole Foods brand) was $3.49 instead of $3.99 and the 365 Sparkling Water from Italy was $1.39 instead of $1.49 and I bought two of them. Other than that paid the usual prices for what I get.

The things I pay the most for weren't any cheaper like GMO free or Organic Olive Oil. Usually get the 365 California GMO olive oil which is either $6.99 or in this case $7.99. Also like the Gaeta Organic Olive Oil from Greece. Was the usual $11.99. Van Leeuwen ice cream was $7.99 as usual (on sale it is $5.99) and organic skinless chicken sausage by Bilinski's were still $7.99 as usual, so yes, some things were a bit cheaper, but nothing insanely cheaper. They also lowered the price of their 365 Organic Granola cereal (the Honey and Oat one) from $4.99 to $4.39. Other than that, it was business as usual. Got my regular local organic fruit, GMO free veggie chips, pastries and so on at the regular prices. Was also expecting to get my bag of organic potatoes and tomatoes slightly cheaper, but the potatoes were $5.99 (a little more expensive than the last time I got them), and the Heirloom Organic tomatoes from one of the nearby farms was the usual $3.99.
Did beer go down? LoL

Whole Foods has a nice selection. I bought my pops some Delerium (sp) Red for his birthday a few years back and he loved it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City