Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 PM

264 posts, read 239,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For what it's worth, the Brazilians I've met acknowledge their mixed background. Many of them are mulatto, and when asked, they admit it and are perfectly fine with it, but the difference is here in the U.S. people are obsessed with color. Get the impression that people care about it there too, but not as deeply. It's just understood that yes, am mixed or whatever and that is that. Many Hispanics also have become aware as they've come here what they are classified as, but only mention it when pressed. You would have to ask who is black and who is white or whatever. Only then would you get the answer, otherwise, will usually hear I'm such and such (nationality) and that is it. Have not met many *dark skinned* Brazilians.
You have never met any dark skinned Brazilians, but when MJ filmed his video "they don't really care about us" in Brazil, he had no problems finding plenty of dark skinned people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJL6nfu__Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Africa is still waiting for who to return? Surely, you are not talking about Black Americans who have been in America, since its inception. Black Americans are 100% bona fide Americans and have no specific nation in Africa to return to...

Lastly, you state, "Black people can be extremely racist.." When have black people created laws which prohibited others from being free and enjoying the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? When have Black people ever created laws that state others are not human? When have Black people created theories stating that others were not as intelligent or were less than 3/5ths human beings? Your ignorance is astounding. You truly do not understand the meaning of racist.
This is very true. This also does not only apply to blacks in America, but applies to all black people who live in the New World. Black Americans are 100% American, and have no nation to return to. Blacks in America cant return to Ghana, cant return to Senegal, cant return to Cameroon, cant return to Nigeria, cant return to Guinea Bissau, or Equatorial Guinea, and cant return to Angola. African Americans moved on from Africa, and Africa moved on from all blacks who live in the New World. Some people don't understand that the first person to die in the American Revolution was a black man named Crispus Attucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
You have never met any dark skinned Brazilians, but when MJ filmed his video "they don't really care about us" in Brazil, he had no problems finding plenty of dark skinned people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJL6nfu__Q
Don't worry about Pierrepont. He is too spellbound for his own good. Me personally I have met Darkskin Brazilians here in the states and when visiting Guyana which borders Brazil. Dark Skin Brazilian chick in Guyana had a fat butt. But she says an aid worker.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-10-2017 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
FS22 has a good point about Chinese these days coming into the U.S., but let's not categorize them all as doing illegal things once they migrate to the U.S. Yes, most Mainland Chinese have no allegiance to the U.S. and will always love their home country of China, but there are still many Chinese coming to America for a better life, for better schools for their children and better health care. The complaint shouldn't be with the Chinese, it should be with the immigration process and laws. Chinese are just smarter then most immigrants and are taking advantage of the system and its openness. Adjust the immigration policies, close the loop holes and make it fair for all to apply.

I can't begin to tell you how many Chinese women I know here in China that become pregnant in China, then apply for a B1 tourist/visitor visa to the U.S. and then give birth to their child in the U.S. while the newborn receives a U.S. passport.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, am in agreement. Have too many immigrants coming here thinking *they're entitled* to things. They are NOT. ..
You do know that when your ancestors arrived there were legions of nativists ready to attack them and send them back to Europe.

The only "immigrants" who were welcomed were those who arrived unwillingly and in chains. Most from Africa but also some from the British Isles.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nahh trust me I'm against it. If you're not born here, come in the right way. You wouldnt just go into anybody's house if you werent allowed to stay there.
I happen to agree with you with the adults, however these people didn't have a choice. Their parents brought them. Not all are entitled to this. Only those with college education or who have served in the military. I can think of a few reasons why the USA might want these to stay.

Those who haven't made much of their lives aren't entitled to DACA.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I agree. A lot of these, "Dreamers" are actually happy they can always return back to their country of origin and receive benefits there. ..
When you argue try to get the facts correct.

1. These people have been identified by the government so clearly aren't getting benefits as that will be illegal. So crease your ignorance on this.

2. In order to be included in DACA they must be in college, completed college or have served in the military. These are hardly the type of people who are a burden to the USA. They aren't like some Trump supporters who wail that their back hurts just so that they can get welfare, and spend all day watching FOX TV, hating nonwhites and ingesting opioids.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Brazil does have a sizable white population.
If not a white majority then maybe a white plurality?
Interestingly many who are considered white in Brazil wouldn't be in the USA. So in fact using US standards it doesn't have a white majority or even plurality, unless you think that Mexico has this.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Interestingly many who are considered white in Brazil wouldn't be in the USA. So in fact using US standards it doesn't have a white majority or even plurality, unless you think that Mexico has this.
The funny thing is that for some Brazilians who look white, with traces of black, most Americans especially on this thread consider them to be black. Brazil and America have different views of white is white, and what is not.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
., including those who voted for Hillary, are also anti immigration.
I am an immigrant. I came through legally. The path that enabled me to get permanent residence is no longer available. Why?

Because we have a bunch of people who fell for the Mexican government scam of exporting its poor people to the USA so they can earn money which they could then send back to their impoverished villages. That way the Mexican elites can continue to ignore them.

We never hear concern from all of those who treat those who enter illegally as if they are immigrants. This is why Congress has gotten away with making it more and more difficult to obtain permanent residency.

Thanks to this we now have US citizens who are married to undocumented migrants who cannot sponsor them. They cannot sponsor them because of laws introduced in the 90s which ban those who lived illegally from re-entry into the USA.

Now if all of these who now want slave labor, but who pretend to love undocumented migrants, focused instead on fighting to remove these onerous measures to make it harder for people to get green cards, we wouldn't have this problem.

It is when Mexico feared that all the undocumented migrants would be deported that it started to pret5end to care about these people.

So now people promote the notion that immigrant = undocumented migrant.

I however support DACA because kids cannot be punished for an act that they didn't commit. Its their parents who entered the USA illegally and its the incompetent US government, which supported employers who wanted slave labor, so who allowed these people to remain in the USA for decades.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You cannot "apply" for permanent status/citizenship in the US like you can do in Canada ..
Canada doesn't allow people to remain in that nation after they entered illegally. It is only professionals who can self apply to obtain permanent residence in Canada. There is no way that most of these undocumented migrants would have been allowed into Canada. That nation is quite plain in that it wants college educated people who speak English and/or French and who possess the skills which that country needs.

Canadian immigrant policy is like a gigantic H1B visa program. Where Canada is more lenient is in its refugee policies but its immigrant policies are way more onerous.

This coming from some one who migrated to the USA and who knows people who migrated to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City