Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Privatize the whole thing.
Which country in the world has privatized its school system and has gotten good results from it on an entire system level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which country in the world has privatized its school system and has gotten good results from it on an entire system level?
I'm not saying Privatize, but they if they gave NYC schools the budget of Horace Mann, you would see amazing results, which is $45,000 per student, having $22,000 for NYC is crazy, but Chicago is worse, no wonder African Americans are failing and killing each-other, they spend in Chicago, $4,000 per student

Old 09-10-2017, 01:55 PM

532 posts, read 787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanStevens2100 View Post
I'm not saying Privatize, but they if they gave NYC schools the budget of Horace Mann, you would see amazing results, which is $45,000 per student, having $22,000 for NYC is crazy, but Chicago is worse, no wonder African Americans are failing and killing each-other, they spend in Chicago, $4,000 per student
you just haven't answered him or her.
where are you going to get that 45k ? are you going to give every student 45k?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
you just haven't answered him or her.
where are you going to get that 45k ? are you going to give every student 45k?
Cut government elsewhere, and reallocate. The youth are worth it.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Force all schools to be entirely open enrollment, cost free.
Effectively making private and magnet schools illegal/ineffective.

All school fiscal and equipment donations must be made to the district level and (capitally) divided up amongst all schools.

From there you can tackle issues on an individual school basis.

Empower educators to report parents missing school conference / parent teacher orientations to Child Protection Authorities and press parents with neglect charges.

Create scholarship programs that incentiveize hard work, effort, and scholastic aptitude over financial needs.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:26 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
I'm not sure I clearly understand the purpose of this thread. How to fix the school system followed by a bunch of random budgets?

Are you complaining about the lack of funds that go into the public school system? How about start with properly listing what you deemed wrong with the NYC public school system first.
Do you feel the schools oevr crowded?
Are test scores low compared to other city public schools? Charter, private, or religious schooling?
Do you feel that the school segregated?
Are public school students safe in NYC compared to other city public schools?

Then discuss how to fix them according to your preference. In the meantime are you a product of the public school system? IF so compare how it was "back in the day" to now. Do you have children in public school or any other educational setting?

Seriously this is like the 5th dumbest thread started by the OP with no relevance or thought process..

Old 09-10-2017, 03:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
The schools teach pretty much the same things, so if the kids aren't doing well it's usually the fault of the kids/parents.

I went to schools in a school system that doesn't seem to be good enough for the elitists on CD, but I received a very good education.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:41 PM

I think things would be better off if kids simply went to their zoned schools rather than the weird system in place now.

The current system seems to lead to the non-specialty schools into being crappy.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
That I personally don't agree with that. I think parents and students should be given the option to attend any school they choose. My kids never attended their zoned schools for personal preference. I am also a product of public school system and received superb education, but I also attended schools in Districts 1 & 2 and so do my kids. We all know some school districts are rate higher than others. I would never send my kids to a failing schools, due to zoning requirements.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
That I personally don't agree with that. I think parents and students should be given the option to attend any school they choose. My kids never attended their zoned schools for personal preference. I am also a product of public school system and received superb education, but I also attended schools in Districts 1 & 2 and so do my kids. We all know some school districts are rate higher than others. I would never send my kids to a failing schools, due to zoning requirements.
The privileged kids would benefit more from than the poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City