Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:13 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually I think it is people who live outside of NY State who seem to think NYC is the whole state rather just one large city within NY State.
Actually I was under the impression that upstate was more "Midwestern".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've met locals in Binghamton who are from NYC

A lot of people go to places like that for the lower rents as well
This is true. Or to buy a house if they've saved up. Or to get a job upstate at one of the colleges, or in certain other fields.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,589,612 times
Default That's the hoodrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Upstate is a bad taste in the mouth for NYC. That's where everybody goes to prison.
True, but that applies to the hoodrats. It's a shame that the only time they get out of the concrete jungle and see the beauty of nature is when they're being transported upstate to prison.

On a more positive note, I have friends and associate in addition to crossing paths with other middle and upper middle class people who have a 2nd home upstate or take weekend trips to the one of the numerous lake front lodging in the mountains: Catskills or Adirondacks mainly. Beautiful area starting with Rockland and Duchess county and all points north and west in the state. I've worked upstate on occasion and found out that NYC is a bad taste in the mouth for most upstate residents. They consider it a cesspool.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYC is far more popular than NY state. Majority of white Americans who move to nyc to find work and black people. Immigrants don't know NY is also an state. Most Americans are just dumb to realize NY is Also a state. As for me I don't forget about nys. In matter if fact this past year I got a chance to see western NY. I'm happy to have visit western NY, finger lakes, Lake placid, Albany, Adirondack, MO hawk Valley. NY is a beautiful state with hidden gems and treasures. NY state is much more than trees, native American burial grounds and prisons. Sadly most new yorkers live in a bubble, especially liberals.
I LOVE visiting Lake Placid! It's actually a really small town with that one main street downtown which is about 2-3 blocks long and splits with the lake on the left, post office straight ahead, and Olympic Museum (which I've heard is one small room) on the right. I've spent hours at the lake. True, most NYers do live in a bubble.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not gonna lie tho, I am ignorant when it comes to upstate. Other than a few trips to Woodbury Commons I know nothing of Upstate. Been to Niagara Falls as a kid and thats it. I prefer driving up north though as opposed to down south, the weather's cooler, less stress on the car.

Are we the only state with a Thruway? I-87 North is a tough ride tho, tough meaning beautiful. From Yankee Stadium north, with no traffic through Westchester, one of the most scenic rides on the planet, believe it!

Thats why people go googoo gaagga over NYC, and New York state, cant beat them views!
From Yankee Stadium through Westchester?? Ugg. To me, it doesn't get scenic until you start crossing the Tappan Zee bridge.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
87 is visually pretty dull. Try route 9 in westchester or 9w in rockland
But it gets better looking once you cross the Tappan Zee and by the time you get near Woodbury Commons, it's absolutely gorgeous!

But yes, 9 and 9W are beautiful scenic routes. They go through small towns, hamlets, and villages though so it slows you down a lot when traveling but the beautiful scenery is worth it.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 PM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
From Yankee Stadium through Westchester?? Ugg. To me, it doesn't get scenic until you start crossing the Tappan Zee bridge.
I like urban landscapes, nothing wrong with you liking nature. I'm not a big fan of the mountains/forest thing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 PM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
True, but that applies to the hoodrats. It's a shame that the only time they get out of the concrete jungle and see the beauty of nature is when they're being transported upstate to prison.

On a more positive note, I have friends and associate in addition to crossing paths with other middle and upper middle class people who have a 2nd home upstate or take weekend trips to the one of the numerous lake front lodging in the mountains: Catskills or Adirondacks mainly. Beautiful area starting with Rockland and Duchess county and all points north and west in the state. I've worked upstate on occasion and found out that NYC is a bad taste in the mouth for most upstate residents. They consider it a cesspool.
You like hiking and stuff, that's cool

The prison industry is the biggest industry in upper New York state.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 AM

19,077 posts, read 14,021,445 times
Quote:
I LOVE visiting Lake Placid! It's actually a really small town with that one main street downtown which is about 2-3 blocks long and splits with the lake on the left, post office straight ahead, and Olympic Museum (which I've heard is one small room) on the right. I've spent hours at the lake. True, most NYers do live in a bubble.
Ever been to Saranac Lake? It’s one place I consider for retirement if I choose to stay in NY.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 1,173,645 times
The upstate the economy could improve if cuomo lift the ban on fracking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City