Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:38 PM

2,988 posts, read 1,176,931 times

Advertisements

There a lot of gun owners in upstate new york despite of the anti gun efforts of cuomo and his people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,826,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
There a lot of gun owners in upstate new york despite of the anti gun efforts of cuomo and his people!
So what? There are people who hunt upstate.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:57 PM

983 posts, read 936,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Some areas of upstate NY are like rural PA in that regard, more so the ones within Appalachia I would guess. But Ulster County has a huge hippie population, that's where Woodstock is located. My uncle is a hippie and he lived there for a while, and the area doesn't seem rednecky to me.

And the cities in upstate NY are definitely left leaning, and they tend to be pretty urban. Albany even has high rise apartment buildings that I find to be characteristic of NYC.
Forgot about the hippies, but now that you mention it, when I go hiking in the New Paltz area (2-3 times per year maybe, I go a lot) we see lots of tie dye shops and stuff in "downtown" New Paltz. Also a lot of yuppie restaurants. You'd almost think you were in a gentrified neighborhood in an outer borough...

A lot of westchester towns are like that now, such as Peekskill. Not hippies, but yuppies.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,525,594 times
I've lived in downstate NY my whole life, except for when I was going to school at SUNY Binghamton.

I do like upstate New York, it's nice to be there for a change of pace. It's absolutely beautiful too, especially in the summer.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:03 PM

19,608 posts, read 9,598,095 times
Reminds me of the old saying, "out of sight, out of mind."

Think a lot of folks complain when they feel that their political representatives aren't listening to them because the state capital is x-amount of miles from them. Sometimes it can be true too as the reps seem to get so wrapped up in other more local events in and around the capital.

As another poster stated, there's people outside of NY that have this idea that NYS is only that of NYC. When I went to another doctor after we moved away, he was surprised that I didn't talk like I was from there. It's not really enough to say that you're from NY., you must immediately differentiate. I don't believe I would have had that same experience if I said Rhode Island, or Connecticut, or some other state unless the doctor was from that state and then they might ask where exactly. Oh well, makes life interesting

Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,546,979 times
NYC and upstate are vastly different worlds. Different lifestyles, attitudes, economics, politics, etc.. But that's not uncommon between the urban and rural areas of states, especially were the urban areas are affluent.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,380,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
The city hates upstate and upstate hates the city.

You only have to go like 90-120 minutes upstate until you start seeing a billion "repeal the SAFE act" signs and literal confederate flags, in new york state, on pickup trucks in front of trailers. Seems pretty alien to me. A lot of the upstate areas I've been to are like Pennsyltucky... (ulster county, greene county... actually, I havne't been farther than that, except a few times near the Quebec border but I only drove through other places, so I shouldn't really judge the WHOLE rest of the state)
You can drive to Gerritsen Beach and see confederate flags.

I love visiting upstate. I could not live there though as much as I love being outdoors. Most places have rundown downtowns and the bigger cities are usually college towns. Lots and lots of poverty. And most places don't have a lot to do. One of the guys who works in the parks asked us to take him with us back to the city because there is nothing going on in most of these places.

I have camped all over the state. I wish the Adirondacks wasn't a minimum four hour drive. The best campgrounds are in the Adirondacks. I just went on my last trip of the season and what a perfect weekend for it.

I'm not a big fan of going all the way west but I do enjoy the Finger Lakes. Different vibe than the Adirondacks but enjoyable all the same. New York has some fantastic parks.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:19 PM

34,294 posts, read 18,667,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
NYC and upstate are vastly different worlds. Different lifestyles, attitudes, economics, politics, etc.. But that's not uncommon between the urban and rural areas of states, especially were the urban areas are affluent.
Unfortunately, there is so much of the population in the NYC metro area it really dictates to the entire state. That has happened in many states today, where the big metro area, or areas control the politics of the entire state often to the dissatisfaction of many who have different views than the big city types.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,525,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Unfortunately, there is so much of the population in the NYC metro area it really dictates to the entire state. That has happened in many states today, where the big metro area, or areas control the politics of the entire state often to the dissatisfaction of many who have different views than the big city types.
Well, the state senate is majority Republican, so there is some balance.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,826,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You can drive to Gerritsen Beach and see confederate flags.

Yep.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145168108@N08/28590422743
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City