Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,382,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
Poughkeepsie? Albany?

I was in school in Poughkeepsie for several years, and I kind of agree with you, and it was so run down and depressing at the time. HOWEVER, if you love low mountains and nature it's really special.
Close to Syracuse. Thing is, while the nature is beautiful from May until October, the other 6 months of the year, the trees are dead. Driving through upstate NY in March or early April is depressing. Too late for snowfall, but too early for leafs. It just looks gray and dead everywhere. The cloudiness does not help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM

375 posts, read 326,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
My college is in Upstate NY. Honestly it's kinda boring and with nightmarish weather from November until April
Thankfully, I don't go to school upstate! I go upstate to enjoy the peace/scenery/beauty/tranquility/fresh air/etc... Thankfully, I also just visit, lol.

One other thing....

....when I was younger, I didn't appreciate upstate as much as I do now that I'm older (and wiser ). I suppose if you are young and from the city....upstate and the woods and mountains might be too 'boring' and not as 'lively' as city living. Since I've lived in the city the majority of my life....I tend to favor peaceful and tranquil areas over the crowded and busy streets.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM

19,131 posts, read 14,152,833 times
Quote:
Close to Syracuse. Thing is, while the nature is beautiful from May until October, the other 6 months of the year, the trees are dead. Driving through upstate NY in March or early April is depressing. Too late for snowfall, but too early for leafs. It just looks gray and dead everywhere. The cloudiness does not help
Great time to scout deer, fish, hike and go shooting.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,498,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Actually I was under the impression that upstate was more "Midwestern".
Maybe when you get way out west of the Fingerlakes. Unless you consider anyplace with fields and forests "Midwestern". In which case everyplace east of 100'W that is not in a city is Midwestern.

Quote:
Hell to the yes. It's typically 10F colder than NYC year-round. Maybe a good thing if you hate the summers of New York, but during winter it's not so fun
Yeah, upstate can keep their 20F dry snow. I'd rather chill in sideways freezing rain while standing ankle-deep in brown, icy slush at NYC's balmy 35F average.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM

19,118 posts, read 12,838,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Do NYC residents forgot about Upstate NY
of course they have, taking a cue from all the governors

The rest of New York State is generally garbage because of the decades of neglect and 99% focus on NYC. It's so run down and downtrodden, it's a shame really.

Just cross the border upstate into Vermont and it's NIGHT AND DAY. People are active and take pride in their towns, everything is kept up and there's continual investment. On the New York side with the same geography it's a total dump

Old 09-28-2017, 03:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 14,107,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

The rest of New York State is generally garbage because of the decades of neglect and 99% focus on NYC. It's so run down and downtrodden, it's a shame really.

Just cross the border upstate into Vermont and it's NIGHT AND DAY. People are active and take pride in their towns, everything is kept up and there's continual investment. On the New York side with the same geography it's a total dump
60% of New York live in NYC area, 60% of State GDP etc

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 PM

2,929 posts, read 2,609,178 times
Default So long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ever been to Saranac Lake? It’s one place I consider for retirement if I choose to stay in NY.
I passed thru Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake a long, long time ago so I don't remember much anymore. I just did a google image search on Saranac. It's so beautiful but doesn't look familiar to me anymore. It was either Tupper Lake or Saranac Lake where there was tie-dye t-shirt and souvenir shop that I fell in love with. I think a local told me once that those areas are where the hippies went after they grew older so it's an area of old hippies. I'm a free-spirit so I would probably love living around old hippies, lol.

Have you been to Blue Mountain in Indian Lake, NY? I was there a couple of months ago and also drove through Long Lake. Those are beautiful popular areas for retirees too and it's off the beaten path compared to a place like Lake George. LG is beautiful but way over the top for the area: too much traffic, too many tourists, motels, inns, everything, just too busy for me in comparison to the rest of the area.

Of course, once pass Lake George on I-87 there is nothing else but scenery to see until you get to the border stop in Canada on the way to Montreal.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 09-28-2017 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Apple picking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
The roads out in the Central Valley are amazing all the way out to Port Jervis. On a motorcycle, taking a cruise, and especially with the Fall color change coming.
Have never been to Port Jervis but I've heard of it as a train stop/station. I think Central Valley is where my favorite apply orchard is. I can't think of the name of it at the moment but it's a huge family owned orchard so you probably know the one I'm talking about. I haven't been in a few years though since I've been working out of state the majority of the time.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM

19,131 posts, read 14,152,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I passed thru Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake a long, long time ago so I don't remember much anymore. I just did a google image search on Saranac. It's so beautiful but doesn't look familiar to me anymore. It was either Tupper Lake or Saranac Lake where there was tie-dye t-shirt and souvenir shop that I fell in love with. I think a local told me once that those areas are where the hippies went after they grew older so it's an area of old hippies. I'm a free-spirit so I would probably love living around old hippies, lol.

Have you been to Blue Mountain in Indian Lake, NY? I was there a couple of months ago and also drove through Long Lake. Those are beautiful popular areas for retirees too and it's off the beaten path compared to a place like Lake George. LG is beautiful way over the top for the area: too much traffic, too many tourists, motels, inns, everything, just too busy for me in comparison to the rest of the area.

Of course, once pass Lake George on I-87 there is nothing else but scenery to see until you get to the border stop in Canada on the way to Montreal.
I've never been to Indian Lake or Tupper Lake. They are on my list for sure. Loon Lake also I've heard is beautiful. I definitely plan to start introducing my wife to the Adirondacks soon as that's the only part of the state that would convince me to stay here for retirement.

I absolutely love the Adirondacks. People think I'm crazy when I say this, especially due to my political leanings, but having lived in Colorado and spent extensive time all over the west/Midwest, Upstate NY is to me the most beautiful part of our country.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Only urban areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Yes, the upstate "urban" areas are blighted and a few small rural towns fit that bill too because one comes to mind immediately but outside of that in the rural-rural areas it's very scenic and beautiful. These rural areas are more like hamlets or villages and some are very picturesque. I've never had luck trying to upload a pic on C-D otherwise I'd post pics of upstate hamlets that I took a few months ago.

I forgot to mention this to Airborneguy but I've been told by a successful NYCer couple that relocated upstate decades ago that they've found that a lot of upstate NY residents are rednecks.

I do agree with you about Vermont. True, it is like NIGHT and DAY crossing the bridge (the way we went to Vermont) from NY-VT. Vermont is very green both in nature and regarding recycling/concern for the environment, very clean, very intelligent progressive people, and it just has a refreshing energy that I don't pick up in other states not even MA can hold a candle to Vermont.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 09-28-2017 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City