Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times

Advertisements

I was out in the East Village last night. Noticed there weren't as many yellow cabs out as there used to be. I don't think the City Council should bail the medallion owners out. Of course the city council created the problem by creating such an expensive medallion system that LIMITED the number of drivers. All that really meant is for the most part you could only hail a yellow cab on main North/South routes in Manhattan. The outer boroughs were screwed unless you were on a route to the airports in Queens.

But now that I think about it even during the day I don't see yellow cabs, or even the green cabs like I used too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I was out in the East Village last night. Noticed there weren't as many yellow cabs out as there used to be. I don't think the City Council should bail the medallion owners out. Of course the city council created the problem by creating such an expensive medallion system that LIMITED the number of drivers. All that really meant is for the most part you could only hail a yellow cab on main North/South routes in Manhattan. The outer boroughs were screwed unless you were on a route to the airports in Queens.

But now that I think about it even during the day I don't see yellow cabs, or even the green cabs like I used too.
Well, those are areas that younger folks live and frequent and they prefer using Apps to hail for rides than hail a cab. Eventually there will be no more medallion cabs as the job becomes less paying than working at Amazon warehouse.

If you watch the video in the 1st post, the other issue is how many people are still foolish enough to drive for Uber. It's reportedly that there are too many Uber/Lyft drivers now in NYC that you may get only 1-2 fares per hour as opposed to 3-4 due to the supply of drivers. Eventually you may have too many drivers at all times which makes it seem like Uber is great to riders but bad for drivers as they have to deal with competition.

So this is all a losing business for both Uber and Yellow cab drivers but great for Uber/Lyft and riders for now. Enjoy while you can before the fallout happens. Fair competition is better than unfair ones.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,497,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
people who insist on taking cabs/ubers everywhere need to pay up. the streets are congested with "black and yellow". regulate and tax them. i haven't taken a cab/uber in a decade and i don't have a car. put tolls to pass through canal, 14th, 57th, 96th street Monday-Friday. use the money to benefit the MTA.

for that matter, why is there free parking in manhattan anywhere? if you live in manhattan why do you need a car? make people pay for parking everywhere. use the money to benefit the MTA.

tax car culture in manhattan.
Are you a communist?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Really? I still see yellow cabs all the time, I take then when they're cheaper than uber and I rarely have to wait long for one.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Really? I still see yellow cabs all the time, I take then when they're cheaper than uber and I rarely have to wait long for one.
There are fewer of them than their used to be, and noticeably so. As opposed to say 8 or 10 years ago.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
There are fewer of them than their used to be, and noticeably so. As opposed to say 8 or 10 years ago.
Uber has definitely cut into their business, but I still see quite a few yellow cabs.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:24 AM

419 posts, read 626,777 times
they should ban yellows instead. Sick of it, drive like sh1t smell like sh1t.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglavidabroka View Post
Before Uber, Lyft,Juno try catching a SMELLY YELLOW on a cold rainy day or during a SHIFTCHANGE. Them MOFOS would be saying, where u going? Im not going that way, U going STRAIGHT ? How much you gonna pay MEANWHILE you are standing in 20 degree or rainstorm outside the cab being interviewed for a ride. SO LONG SUCKAS !!!! I HAVE NO MERCY FOR YOU
Exactly! You don't know how many shifty cab drivers I had to deal with trying to get from manhattan to Brooklyn pre-gentrification. Always claiming they aren't going "that way". Aren't you supposed to go where I tell you as long as I pay? Didn't know yellow cabs only stayed in manhattan.

Uber and Lyft made my life easier

Old 09-30-2017, 01:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Gas is still cheaper than the peak in 2014, I wonder what happens if the price of gas goes back up to $4+, it's getting up there right now at about $3+

Old 09-30-2017, 03:41 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times
In Manhattan it made more sense for me to catch a cab since they are always so visible in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: